Homebrew mGBA on New 3DSXL

shameless

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I have the Homebrew channel set up on my New 3DS XL using the steelminer hax thing
I've tried using the mGBA.3dsx from the latest stable build and also the latest build but neither work, they flash the screen green and then red, then a load of text flashes on the black screen and then the system hangs. Please are you able to help me?
I do not wish to put CFW on my machine as it is a SNES design model and I will probably sell it in the future.
I've got bubble2k16's SNES and NES emulators working just fine but really wanna play GBA games on here! Please help!
Thanks

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You remove the CFW when you want to sell it, which sounds like his reason for not CFWing in the first place.
from what i read tho the OP only has userland. Which is why their gba emu is acting up badly if they are on latest firmware. There isnt really a fix to that other than looking at cfw. Which if OP is against it. They need to look at running gba games on a different console.

Reactions: SCOTT0852

shameless

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - OK I have installed boot9strap and Luma cfw - does this mean I can play 3DS roms? Can I play USA roms on my Europe machine? Is it just a matter of installing .cias using FBI ?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi - OK I have installed boot9strap and Luma cfw - does this mean I can play 3DS roms? Can I play USA roms on my Europe machine? Is it just a matter of installing .cias using FBI ?

I don't think it's an issue, as region locking is removed in a way, I think, when loading ROMs. I could be wrong though.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma should take care of regions by default. Just install those cias with FBI and launch them from your home menu.

shameless

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This topic is progressing, but now I have CFW (boot9strap & Luma) installed and am installing CIAs, I've run out of space on my 32GB SD card - I was thinking of upgrading to a 128GB card - is it just a matter of copying everything to the new card and away we go? Or? Any help really appreciated :)

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic is progressing, but now I have CFW (boot9strap & Luma) installed and am installing CIAs, I've run out of space on my 32GB SD card - I was thinking of upgrading to a 128GB card - is it just a matter of copying everything to the new card and away we go? Or? Any help really appreciated :)

Yeah as long as its being used on the same 3DS, just copy everything over to the new SD drive and it will work immediately.

shameless

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, upgraded SD perfectly using Godmode9 to format it, otherwise Godmode9 won't mount the new one, worth noting.

Next question - I have a R4i card full of DS games - but it comes up on my homescreen as Touch! Bomberman Land and an image of that rom.

Is there any way of changing this title and image, in CFW?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, upgraded SD perfectly using Godmode9 to format it, otherwise Godmode9 won't mount the new one, worth noting.

Next question - I have a R4i card full of DS games - but it comes up on my homescreen as Touch! Bomberman Land and an image of that rom.

No

Reactions: shameless

Dani Dandelion

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

It shows as Touch! Bomberman Land because it's spoofing that game. My R4 shows up as a demo for Nazo Nazo & Quiz Ittou Nyuukon Q Mate in any 3DS/DS unit, but when I run it, it just shows the R4 menu like usual, and yours should do the same. The R4 spoofs a legit DS game so it can get around flashcart-blocking stuff on the 3DS (I think; Google is failing me). I don't believe there's a way to change whatever game it's spoofing.

Reactions: shameless

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh I could change this on Acekard 2i based on what cart firmware was in use. 3DS CFW defeats the need for spoofing anyway.

Razor21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL I'm lucky I stumbled upon this. So, do i really need CFW to play mGBA? I'm always getting stuck on the loading screen while loading games. (Already tested it on PC and stuff)

Dani Dandelion

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
LOL I'm lucky I stumbled upon this. So, do i really need CFW to play mGBA? I'm always getting stuck on the loading screen while loading games. (Already tested it on PC and stuff)

Yep, if you want to use mGBA on your 3DS. It's free and easy. I've never tried the PC version of mGBA, but maybe you'll have better luck with the 3DS version.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Technically, no, you don't need CFW. You can do it with *hax, but you'll need mgba.xml in the same folder as mgba.3dsx.
https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/blob/master/src/platform/3ds/hbl.xml
https://twitter.com/mgba_emu/status/941011779806576640?lang=en

This sets AR Games as the "takeover target" for *hax, providing mGBA with more memory than it would usually get in *hax mode. (Be advised that this might put your save data for AR Games at risk.)

Of course no one will tell you to do it this way and will suggest you install CFW instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.