Gaming Metroid Samus Returns Crashes

Yuridoop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get this game to work. It would crash on boot. I tried importing the seed, lumalocaleSwitcher, deleted ticket, tried different CIAs, quadruple reformat, used H2testw and finished without errors and tried a different SD card. USA N3DS on 11.13, running b9s 1.3 and Luma 10.2

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_221948253.jpg
    IMG_20201106_221948253.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 379

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I can't get this game to work. It would crash on boot. I tried importing the seed, lumalocaleSwitcher, deleted ticket, tried different CIAs, quadruple reformat, used H2testw and finished without errors and tried a different SD card. USA N3DS on 11.13, running b9s 1.3 and Luma 10.2
- Are the "Enable game patching" Luma option enabled? Are you applying some kind of patch/mod for that game? Try to switch that option and see what happen

If you don't have idea of how adjust that Luma configuration, just press SELECT on boot and you will enter to Luma config menu. Later choose the respective option and finish pressing START to continue with normal booting.​

- Are you trying to apply some cheat or using NTR CFW (aka BootNTRSelector)? If yes, then stop to using that and see what happen

- Finally, try to use a different version (boot.firm) of Luma CFW (from 9.1 to 10.1.3) to discard if problem is associated to Luma latest version.

Last edited by fmkid,

Yuridoop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Are the "Enable game patching" Luma option enabled? Are you applying some kind of patch/mod for that game? Try to switch that option and see what happen

If you don't have idea of how adjust that Luma configuration, just press SELECT on boot and you will enter to Luma config menu. Later choose the respective option and finish pressing START to continue with normal booting.​

- Are you trying to apply some cheat or using NTR CFW (aka BootNTRSelector)? If yes, then stop to using that and see what happen

- Finally, try to use a different version (boot.firm) of Luma CFW (from 9.1 to 10.1.3) to discard if problem is associated to Luma latest version.
I have "Enable game pathing" option enabled for MM3D. I have no mods or patches for Metroid. Tried every version of LumaCFW from 9.1 to 10.1.3 and it still crashes. I'm not trying to apply cheats. I don't have BootNTRSelector installed either.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revisit this checklist.

If your 3DS firmware is USA region and it matches that of Metroid - Samus Returns (USA) [TitleID: 00040000001BB200], a game that is known to require seed, I would revisit importing the seed.

Even though you've already tried importing the seed,
  • FBITitlesGameImport Seed (requires Internet connection)

try it again but this time by doing this,

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: tfocosta

Yuridoop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revisit this checklist.
  • Reasons why a newly installed 3DS game crashes or won't launch.
  • .cia error! ← Refer to this thread as an additional example.

If your 3DS firmware is USA region and it matches that of Metroid - Samus Returns (USA) [TitleID: 00040000001BB200], a game that is known to require seed, I would revisit importing the seed.
  • [GitHub, ihaveamac] SeedDB list

Even though you've already tried importing the seed,
  • FBITitlesGameImport Seed (requires Internet connection)

try it again but this time by doing this,
  • Importing the seed with FBI without Internet connection
I followed those guides too and also tried importing the seed without a internet connection but it didn't work. I remembered installing the pre-load cia before, if that matters.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I followed those guides too and also tried importing the seed without a internet connection but it didn't work. I remembered installing the pre-load cia before, if that matters.
Possibly. It could be a kind of ticket conflict, then is better to uninstall the related title and its respective ticket through FBI before to perform a new (re)installation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  1. Look for a clean .3DS rom dump of the game. Install 7-Zip, right mouse click the file → CRC SHACRC-32.
  2. Convert the .3DS rom → .CIA rom.
  3. Install the game with FBI.
If the n3DS still crashes, this might indicate a problem with the 3DS firmware.

Reactions: tfocosta and fmkid

Yuridoop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  1. Look for a clean .3DS rom dump of the game. Install 7-Zip, right mouse click the file → CRC SHACRC-32.
    • [ADVANsCEne] Release 1754 - Metroid - Samus Returns (USA)
  2. Convert the .3DS rom → .CIA rom.
    • [3ds.hacks.guide] GodMode9 Usage - Converting a .3DS to .CIA
  3. Install the game with FBI.
If the n3DS still crashes, this might indicate a problem with the 3DS firmware.
Didn't work, I assume there's nothing I can do about it if its the firmware?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't work, I assume there's nothing I can do about it if its the firmware?
I'm too old to be using this new kidz' slang but-

Oof.

Pray that the reason Metroid isn't working on your n3DS(XL?) is because it has some sort of software issue with the 3DS firmware.

Repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Good luck!

*crosses fingers*

Reactions: tfocosta

Yuridoop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm too old to be using this new kidz' slang but-

Oof.

Pray that the reason Metroid isn't working on your n3DS(XL?) is because it has some sort of software issue with the 3DS firmware.

Repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Good luck!

*crosses fingers*
CTRTransfer didn't work either, guess something is wrong with my system. I give up

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I had issues installing this CIA too. In the end I discovered that the hashes of the binary files were changing when the CIAs were moved to the SD card, meaning the files weren't being written to the card correctly. The fix was to use an old USB 2.0 MicroSD card writer - not a USB 3.0 one. Since I switched to using a slow SD card writer I've had no issues with CIAs.

There are lots of free tools to check hashes of files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.