Gaming Metroid Prime Trilogy without doing the "Alt. Dol" thing...

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all.

Long story short, my old HDD crashed (more like I f'ed it up) and I lost all the Wii games I had stored on there.

I have a new HDD now and the first thing I put back onto it was MPT. I decided to research the game again as it always bugged me how I had to launch the game with the "alt. dol" option.

Turns out there was a way discovered to launch it without relying on that involving something called d2x. I went ahead and did that but it didn't solve the problem. If anything I kind of suspect it made it worse.

Whenever I attempt to load the game straight out by using the cIOS 249 (the one supposedly that will allow the game to load after you run d2x against it) and ticking the Block IOS Reload option (I usually use CFG USB Loader but I downloaded USB Loader GX just now as people claim great success with it), the game will just get stuck on the "Loading Metroid Prime Trilogy....." screen and never reach the main menu. If I load it through CFG USB Loader my controllers somehow unbind themselves from the console and I can't interact with it at all (USB Loader GX at least has the controller appear to be bound while the game is loading). In any event I have to hard shut down the Wii.

I can still load the individual games by using the old alt. dol method but I was hoping to put that behind me. What am I doing wrong here? I'll provide any info I can.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe you didn't install the correct d2x version and data.
You need to install d2x v8 Base 56 in slot 249

There is also a v10, but you don't need it.
If you really want v10, there are two different version (normal and alternative, it could be confusing, so just use v8 for the moment to try an fix your problem first)

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that's what I did...

I can try again, I suppose but I installed d2x-v8-final with those settings to my recollection.

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, there was a time I was able to at least boot to the title screen (since that's how you had to do it back in the day; boot to the title screen to set up your profile then launch the games themselves using the alt. dol method).

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, reinstalling it didn't resolve the problem. I guess my Wii is screwed up in some other way that's preventing this from otherwise working.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave the options for the game as-is do NOT mess with them(select default option in usb loader gx). Install d2x v10 http://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/downloads/detail?name=d2x-v10-beta53-alt.zip&can=2&q= select beta 10, base 56 and iso 249. Make sure you use USB Loader GX and then just run the game... thats about it. Of course it goes without saying make 100% sure in USB Loader GX's options you have the default IOS set to 249.

*EDIT* Select default options under the games settings page. You can select whatever options you want really but don't touch the reload options or w/e as its all automatic now anyways.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This tutorial is what I used, then in the CFG options for Metroid Trilogy I told it to use one of these slots (247,248) instead of the default (222 or 249 depending on which CFG builds being used).

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
do you have emunand saving turned on for MT? it doesnt work for MT it will just freeze you have to have it set to off for MT

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Sorry, I haven't been checking on this thread.

How do I get you that? I never had to pull one.
You run a syscheck app from the HBC and it will put the file called syscheck.csv (or something similar) on your SD card. You can open it up with notepad and past the contents here.

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I just want to let everyone know I'm going to just drop this. It's not worth fixing, IMO. I'll just continue running MPT the way I always have.

Thanks for your input all the same.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave the options for the game as-is do NOT mess with them(select default option in usb loader gx). Install d2x v10 http://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/downloads/detail?name=d2x-v10-beta53-alt.zip&can=2&q= select beta 10, base 56 and iso 249. Make sure you use USB Loader GX and then just run the game... thats about it. Of course it goes without saying make 100% sure in USB Loader GX's options you have the default IOS set to 249.

*EDIT* Select default options under the games settings page. You can select whatever options you want really but don't touch the reload options or w/e as its all automatic now anyways.

I tried this and no luck. I wasn't sure if I did it right....your link came with a file that pointed to an installer. I use the installer to install the file you linked to and it gave some options but I wasn't 100% sure which options to pick (tried to match to beta 10 base 56 but the options did not line up with these choices).

It seems Prime 1 and 2 work but 3 freezes at the black screen. I am using USB loader GX and tried it off NTFS hard drive and FAT32. I set options to default but chose to use IOS249.

I have not been able to figure out how to get the ALT.DOL method I have seen referenced to work either.

EDIT: turns out I have a bad rip.

r3dxk1ng

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump such an old thread but figured I would do that rather than start a new thread. I am having similar issue to the OP when trying to load Metroid Prime trilogy except I can make it to main menu but the game will just get stuck on the "LoadingMetroid Prime Trilogy" screen after picking a game to load and then I have to restart the console. The only way for me to load these gamez is using the alt.dol method which I don't want to do because I can't choose difficulty. Can anyone who can load this game without alt.dol method on usb loader gx help? I am using latest version of USB Gx loader and this is the base I am using:
IOS249(Rev 65535) + AHB
(d2x v10beta53-alt base56)

I was under the impression that this is the latest d2x to use so I don't understand what I am doing wrong as this is the only game I have a problem loading and my rip 100% clean and unscrubbed.

Last edited by r3dxk1ng,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump such an old thread but figured I would do that rather than start a new thread. I am having similar issue to the OP when trying to load Metroid Prime trilogy except I can make it to main menu but the game will just get stuck on the "LoadingMetroid Prime Trilogy" screen after picking a game to load and then I have to restart the console. The only way for me to load these gamez is using the alt.dol method which I don't want to do because I can't choose difficulty. Can anyone who can load this game without alt.dol method on usb loader gx help? I am using latest version of USB Gx loader and this is the base I am using:
IOS249(Rev 65535) + AHB

I was under the impression that this is the latest d2x to use so I don't understand what I am doing wrong as this is the only game I have a problem loading and my rip 100% clean and unscrubbed.

Turn on "Block IOS Reload" in USB Loader GX.

r3dxk1ng

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I turned on "Block IOS Reload" and still experience the same issue. It does not seem to help at all for some reason.

Last edited by r3dxk1ng,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
IOS249(Rev 65535) + AHB

I'm not sure if it will help your issue but d2x v10 beta52 has better compatibility with certain games so maybe it will help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night