Metroid Prime Trilogy - Update? (for playing from disc!)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kaaji1359, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Kaaji1359
    OP

Newcomer Kaaji1359 Member

United States
    Hello. Due to Metroid Prime Trilogy not playing well on the USB Loader, I've decided to just play via the main retail disc. Unfortunately it asks for a system update (from what I've read, it's 4.1). Now I've searched and searched and I keep on getting conflicting results: "You can update, all it does is update your weather/news channels" and "NO DON'T UPDATE, YOUR WII WILL BE UNHACKED AFTERWARDS".

So can someone please give me a definitive answer: If I have a 4.0 hacked Wii using USB Loader GX with cIOS36 Rev10 and I want to play Metroid Prime Trilogy VIA THE RETAIL DISC, is it OK to do the system update that the disc gives me?

Thanks guys

2. Serris

Newcomer Serris Member

United States
    Yes. I was in the same boat as you and updated without issue.

3. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    yea just re-mod with my guide or use preloader to disable disc update checks.

4. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    Just use Gecko OS or Neogamma to bypass the update... I think that using Preloader is going to trouble you much... You can always update via Wanikoko's 4.1 Updater... Which actually updates you Wii but with an unharmful way (which is pretty complicated)... You are a noob in the Wii modding scene, right???

5. ChrisRX

Member ChrisRX GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Generally speaking, never update from game discs because you don't know what they do specifically. Just run startpatch to disable updating from the disc and as long as you have the proper IOS installed then it should run fine.

6. Kaaji1359
    OP

Newcomer Kaaji1359 Member

United States
    Again, getting conflicting answers [​IMG]

I'm semi-noob Gullwing. I've heard of Wanikoko's 4.1 update, but I've also heard that it will still want to update via the disc due to it not reading your cIOS (or something like that). Honestly I'd rather do the update though...

What exactly is Neogamma? And assuming that I do run the update (and potentially have to re-hack my Wii), will rev 10 run MPT?

7. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Startpatch can patch the 4.0 update easily and quickly. Best solution IMO, can load it from the disc channel easily and effectively and play it like a retail disc.