Menu Version 4.3U!!!! OMG WTF!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Painguy, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2010
  1. Painguy
    OP

Member Painguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So i was reading the game spot forums, and apparently someone who sent their wii in for repair got their wii back with all their saves, but had system version 4.3U instead of 4.2U. Anyone else smell something funky going on at Nintendo? Heres the quote and link

"I sent my Wii to Nintendo to get repair work done to fix the artifacting issue. I've posted on here before about whether I had it for sure or not, and after getting NSMBW and noticing it I had to get it repaired. I've had my Wii since January 2007. Nintendo, as expected was extremely polite, and the lady on the phone said, that althought she had heard of the artifacting issue I was only the second person that had called her about getting it repaired. The repair did cost me $85 which included shipping to and from Redmond, and I have a new 1 year warranty on my Wii. They did not send me a new one, they sent me my Wii, same serial number. All save data was intact. I had to redownload my channels. My account was still synced up with my Wii. I had 600 Wii points when I sent it, and I had 600 when I got it back. I am able to edit my Miis also. The artifacting issue has gone away completely. The only strange thing I found about the entire experience was that my system came back with Wii System 4.3U. I didn't notice at first that the latest version is 4.2U, until I ran a Wii System Update after testing my internet connection (the internet profiles were intact). The System Update "updated" me to 4.2U. I wish I had taken notice of the 4.3U System Software before, or I would have taken a picture. So you'll just have to believe my word, not that 4.3U seemed at all different. When you search for stories about Wii Repairs you read a lot of horror stories, of people losing save data, losing points, their shop accounts not being synced with their Wii, Miis being uneditable, and I believe these are the over represented minority of cases. Here is a case when everything went right.

Thanks Nintendo, now I'm going to catch up on Nintendo Week and play NSMBW"

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_...ag=topics;title

2. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    lol screenshot or didn't happen.
    now you cause a mass panic because of nothing ...

3. MadClaw

Member MadClaw GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Cool story bro, it was probably the developers version too. That really sucks for him D:

4. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's not mentioned at all in Wiimpersonator, enough said. Nintendo's support cronies just update via Nintendo's servers like how you would in the System Menu.

If it actually was 4.3, it wouldn't have been overwritten by 4.2. Not to mention, I'd imagine the next update would include a stub IOS70...

5. Painguy
    OP

United States
    idk im just letting you guys know. Im trying to be considerate [​IMG]

6. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    4.3 updated to 4.2? i don't believe it.

7. Painguy
    OP

United States
    ill try to get a pic if i can.

8. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    Someone is just posting this to try to get a rise. How fucking lame

9. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not only is it the first time i heard of a 4.3, it is extremely interesting that the menu would downgrade itself.

Even though it's since been updated, take a look with something like SysCheck and see what IOSes are installed. For all we know, 4.3 used an IOS80 or something. An update can't delete IOSes, just update/stub them.

10. Painguy
    OP

United States
    dude i have a link to the forum. Im just repeating what i heard. im not trying to "get a rise". [​IMG]

11. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    right, is that why you put OMG WTF BLA BLA BLA with a million !!!!! in the title. my wii is 4.7u and it downgraded to 3.2J, OMG WTF go post that somewhere. youre just trying to create a mass panic and tryin to get ppl to talk to you

now comes the part where people read it and start endless speculation threads. OMG WTF LMB (lick my balls)

12. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You know that kid who lived a few doors down the street back in the glory days of the SNES and would tell you things like that he heard that the sequel to Super Mario RPG was coming out, and would insist that it's true even when he didn't have any sources whatsoever?

Same kind of situation here.

13. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    42 users holy shit way to start rumors... it's a lie just like the mudkips are

14. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Doesnt seem like a big step to go from 4.2 to 4.3 for the internal ninty stuff to be honest - and if the latest 'update' on the server is 4.2 then the wii could very well decide to get that version and consider it an update so its quite possible 4.3 would be overwritten by 4.2.

That being said, it may have been 3.4u on the system and updated to 4.2u and in a bit of panic he reversed the numbers in his mind.

15. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Would it really be that possible? If the installed 4.3 has a higher version number (like it rightly should) then it won't care what's on Nintendo's server unless it's a higher version than what's on the console.

16. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.