Not open for further replies.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Knocks said:
It is indeed a NES game, not just coded to look like one. However, as a couple of people have already mentioned, Capcom probably extended the functions of the original NES, which may have included overclocking, adding more RAM, new mappers, non-standard battery, and who knows what else.

Long story short, you are unlikely to be able to emulate this beast. And I personally wouldn't want to--the Wii seems to handle it pretty well
wink.gif
No.
What's easier?
1. Develop a Nes emulator. Overclock the emulator and add more hardware. Create a Nes game that uses this extra fake hardware.
or...
2. Create a game from scratch that looks like it's 8-bit?

Heck, I even remember a interview where a member of the team said that they had to redo the sprites because they didn't look 8-bit enough, why would they do that if they made a Nes game?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:
It is indeed a NES game, not just coded to look like one. However, as a couple of people have already mentioned, Capcom probably extended the functions of the original NES, which may have included overclocking, adding more RAM, new mappers, non-standard battery, and who knows what else.

Long story short, you are unlikely to be able to emulate this beast. And I personally wouldn't want to--the Wii seems to handle it pretty well
wink.gif
No.
What's easier?
1. Develop a Nes emulator. Overclock the emulator and add more hardware. Create a Nes game that uses this extra fake hardware.
or...

Heck, I even remember a interview where a member of the team said that they had to redo the sprites because they didn't look 8-bit enough, why would they do that if they made a Nes game?

Well actually if you have a nes emulator lying around the first one is the easiest... but of course circumstances may dictate the second... someone should reverse engineer the stuff ... I'm completely french to the nes world so it will not be me... If it was a c64 centric topic I would have already made the point about this...

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
This topic has gotten way out of hand.

Mega Man 9 is not an NES game on a strictly technical level. Its engine was developed from scratch for current gen consoles. Shares no programming code with any existing Mega Man title for any other platform.

It merely aims to recreate NES-like video, audio, and gameplay. Key word being "like". Mega Man 9 breaks the limitations of a real NES in some ways.

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marioxb said:
Well, those are better, (I have an SNES version) and I wasn't going to buy a SNES Classic Controller from eBay, until Capcom decided to make Mega Man 9 NOT SUPPORT GAMECUBE CONTROLLERS. So now I HAVE to buy the imported controller.
True true. I love using the original snes with HBC and those emulators, I was hella bummed when I tried to use it with megaman 9 and it didn't work. The sideways wiimote is alright, but nothing like that classic controller. I might have to snag one of those famicon classic controllers now...
biggrin.gif

blueoakleyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marioxb said:
I wonder if there's any way to hack in GameCube controller support? I really want to use these. But I suppose if worse comes to worse, I'll have to order one of these babies:
sfcclassic.jpg

I have two of those and they're awesome

Hideous

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:

wink.gif
No.
What's easier?
or...

Well actually if you have a nes emulator lying around the first one is the easiest... but of course circumstances may dictate the second... someone should reverse engineer the stuff ... I'm completely french to the nes world so it will not be me... If it was a c64 centric topic I would have already made the point about this...

The first one is definetly the hardest: The only option you have when making an NES game, is to code it in assembly for the NES processor. It is not feasible to run a high-level language like C on an NES processor.

Therefore, it is WAY easier to make a new game that LOOKS like an 8-bit game.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Hideous said:
WiiCrazy said:
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:

wink.gif
No.
What's easier?
or...

The first one is definetly the hardest: The only option you have when making an NES game, is to code it in assembly for the NES processor. It is not feasible to run a high-level language like C on an NES processor.

Umm the first option is about a million times easier. It's not like Capcom programmers don't have assembly experience--they're only the most successful third-party NES developer ever. And there already is a NES emulator for Wii--it's called Virtual Console, and Nintendo would be more than happy to share the code with Capcom. Overclocking or adding RAM isn't exactly rocket science either.

Of course, if the developer claims that they coded the game from scratch, they probably aren't lying. The soundtrack was definitely written for the NES hardware though.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Knocks said:
Hideous said:
WiiCrazy said:
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:

wink.gif
No.
What's easier?
or...

Umm the first option is about a million times easier. It's not like Capcom programmers don't have assembly experience--they're only the most successful third-party NES developer ever. And there already is a NES emulator for Wii--it's called Virtual Console, and Nintendo would be more than happy to share the code with Capcom. Overclocking or adding RAM isn't exactly rocket science either.

Of course, if the developer claims that they coded the game from scratch, they probably aren't lying. The soundtrack was definitely written for the NES hardware though.
Why would Nintendo allow Capcom to use their Nes emulator on the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
Hideous said:
WiiCrazy said:
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:

wink.gif
No.
What's easier?
or...

What in the billion Hells makes you think that Capcom still has all of their programmers around since then and still have the knowledge to accomplish it after 20+ years of nonuse?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. And console manufacturers usually require developers to return devkits once the system is dead.

We can rule out the VC idea also. It doesn't support aspect ratio correction on widescreen TVs, this game does.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Sonicandtails said:
What in the billion Hells makes you think that Capcom still has all of their programmers around since then and still have the knowledge to accomplish it after 20+ years of nonuse?

Way to exaggerate, it's barely even been 10 years since we were still getting new Super Famicom games in Japan. And yes, Japanese employees do stay with their companies for that long.

Anyway, the argument is pointless since the developer has told in the interview the code was written for the new platforms. But the point stands that it's piece of cake for Capcom to write a new Famicom game.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Knocks said:
Sonicandtails said:

Way to exaggerate, it's barely even been 10 years since we were still getting new Super Famicom games in Japan. And yes, Japanese employees do stay with their companies for that long.

Anyway, the argument is pointless since the developer has told in the interview the code was written for the new platforms. But the point stands that it's piece of cake for Capcom to write a new Famicom game.
You do know that Super Famicom is not equal to Famicom?

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:
Sonicandtails said:

Do you know what language Super Famicom games are coded in?

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Knocks said:
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:
Sonicandtails said:

65c816 assembly language.
The Nes used P65/6502 assembler.

go185

Trophies
XP
Country
bll0612 said:
So, after all anyone can extract the megaman 9 rom file? Pl, I'd like to play it on emu

There is no ROM file!

Just because it looks like a NES game does NOT mean it is a NES game!

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:
Foppzter said:
Knocks said:
Sonicandtails said:

65c816 assembly language.
The Nes used P65/6502 assembler.

LOL so someone who made 16-bit games for the 65816 couldn't figure out how to code for the much simpler 6502? You realize that 65816 is a derivative of the 6502, right?

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know that.
I also believes that it would be hard to go from 65816 to 6502 just because the 6502 is much simplier.
If I can program C++, does that make me a good C programmer?
If I can program C#, does that make me a good C++ programmer?
There are enough differences to make it hard.

hectorhammett

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay people knock it off! why are you so angry telling him FACEPALM and bla bla bla.... it doesnt matter if its a new game... it still the posibility that they made the game for the NES and then put it into wii..... maybe this one isnt the case but remember The legend of zelda Ocarina of time for the Gamecube??? it was actually the rom from the n64, and the master quest was developed like it was for the n64 thats why you can find a project 64 rom... so i dont know why you are so angry telling him stupid and that kind of things :S!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021