megadrive emulators?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by UltraMagnus, Oct 7, 2008.

Oct 7, 2008

megadrive emulators? by UltraMagnus at 10:03 PM (1,488 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. UltraMagnus
    OP

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    before anyone says anything, I have searched, found some stuff, but not really what I am looking for.
    I know of Jenesisds and picodriveds, but how do these compare? are the any better emulators?

I guess I am asking, what is the best megadrive emulator for the DS? or do some emulators just have different games they are compatible with?

thanks in advance!

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    jEnesisDS and PicoDriveDS are the only two usable Genesis emulators for the DS. Of the two, jEnesisDS is superior, and it's the one you should use. Out of curiosity, why is it not what you were looking for?

3. UltraMagnus
    OP

United Kingdom
    basically, I couldn't find any comparison between emulators.

I have just tried JenesisDS, and the scrolling thing is really irritating, is the any way to turn that off?

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Some games work great with Jenesis and some don't. Same with Picodrive.

To be honest its best to just have both, its not like they take that much room.

5. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I'm a fairly conservative guy, but I would probably be OK with it if you explained further what you're talking about.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    He's probably either talking about the vertical scaling (most likely since that's always on as default) or the follow Dpad option.

At any rate, you can go into the options by touching the genesis controller icon in the upper left corner. There, you can disable vertical scaling.

7. UltraMagnus
    OP

United Kingdom
    actually, I was talking about having to scroll the screen left and right with the shoulder buttons.

sorry for not being explicit enough in my original post.

8. Vague Rant

Australia
    Nope, that's always on. Why do you need it off, anyway?

9. knoxvillz

Member knoxvillz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i think he wants to see the whole screen rather than having to adjust the screen every now and then. Picodrive has a full screen option but it doesn't have any sound.

10. UltraMagnus
    OP

United Kingdom
    so, no sound, or scrolling.... decisions decisions......

well, thanks for your replies, and your patience with my incompetence [​IMG]

11. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    horizontal scaling is not possible due to hardware limitations of the ds itself when running in the 2d mode. from what i remember the vertical scaling is hardware scaling and the ds only allows for one scalier to be used at any one time. a software solution would be to slow and impact the performance of the games -- to a not-so-playable level.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=864...p;#entry1148388

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    It's not that only one scaler can be used at any time, it's merely the fact that horizontal scaling is flat-out impossible with the way jEnesisDS works (using the DS's dedicated 2D hardware to greatly improve speed). You can choose to scale vertically if you'd like, as the DS draws the picture row-by-row, so simply removing a few rows here and there serves to scale vertically.

If you want horizontal scaling, you must render the screen in memory before painting it to the screen pixel-by-pixel. This is known as software emulation, and it doesn't take advantage of the DS's fast 2D hardware, so it becomes much slower overall. PicoDriveDS uses software scaling, as does jEnesisDS v0.4a (and ONLY that version) but neither have sound or run at full speed without frameskip.

Later versions of jEnesisDS automatically move the screen left or right as you press left and right to help counter this issue, but I do not know if this option can be disabled or not. I'll admit I'm still using an older version that doesn't have that option, as I've never found it to be a big enough issue to merit upgrading.

13. Vague Rant

Australia
    I believe the follow d-pad feature is off by default; so yes, it can be disabled (or enabled, as it were).