Mega Man Legends (PSX) Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Rock Raiyu, Jun 14, 2009.

Jun 14, 2009
  1. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

Jul 14, 2007
    Walking the path of heaven
    United States
    This is my 2nd review that I've ever done. The first being a review over The World Ends With You for a contest(and I came in 2nd place for [​IMG]). Before I go right into the interview, let me tell you a bit about the game.

Title: Mega Man Legends (Rockman DASH in Japan)
    Publishers: Capcom
    Developers: Capcom
    Platform: Playstation
    JP: December 18, 1997
    NA: August 31, 1998
    PAL: December 4, 1998
    Genre: Action Adventure​

STORY: 9/10
    A little background story on the game. Mega Man Legends takes place on a flooded Earth. Only few islands and types of energy sources survived the flooding making it scarce. Items called "Refractors" are used for a power source to power up machinery are found in ruins. However, the main goal of every person is to find the "Mother Lode",a treasure that is thought to be the answer to there problems that could keep things running without the need for refractors.Those who try to excavate these ruins are called "Diggers".Those who assist information-wise from an outside location are called "Spotters".

I liked the way the pieced together the story for the game. It's more original and yet its very simple. Even though its simple, the more you play the game the more into the story you get. It gave you the feeling that you want to know whats going to happen next. Though I thought the game was pretty short, I completed the game in 2 days. And it sort of got a little repetitive after a while because you fought the same bosses over and over again with different robots/machinery.

Graphics: 8/10
    I found the graphics very enjoyable, even for a PSX game. Not the best I've seen but its up there. There isn't much more I can say about the graphics. I think Capcom could've improve on this.

Sound: 6/10
    This is what I liked least about the game. The overall background music, birds chirping, boss music, and sound effects were well done. But I could do without the plopping of Mega Man's feet whenever he ran or jumped. It gets annoying after a while. The voice acting got me really annoyed. It seemed like all the voice actors seemed like whiners. OH.MY.GOD. It's not even funny.I know they're supposed to be kids but...they sound like 9 year olds. (Unless they're then I take back what I said haha.)

Gameplay: 9/10
    Again, this is another thing that kept me going. They had a variety of weapons to choose from and lots of items to use. And the're not those items you can go into the store and buy, you have to make them, find parts, put them together. Once you put them together and such, you can also level them up. There are also some sub-quests for you to do if you don't want to move along into the storyline just yet and earn yourself some more zenny or even items. I also like the open world which is very different in a Mega Man game. It was a nice change of pace from a side-scroller or a turn-based strategy game.

Controls: 8/10
    The controls are pretty easy to follow. I only wish they could do the looking around better. it was a pain to look around and try to lock onto an enemy to shoot. There is an auto lock-on button (It's either R2 o r L2, I don't know. I was playing on the PSP which lacks an R2/L2 so I had to substitute for the Analog Stick.) which was a pain to look around AND use the Analog Stick which is also used to look up. But I bet the controls are more enjoyable on the PSX therefore I left the score intact the way it is.

Overall Score: 40/50
    I'd recommend this game for Mega Man lovers and Non-Mega Man lovers alike. It's a really good game and I look forward to playing Mega Man Legends 2. I wouldn't exactly play it on the PSP though cause the voice sound times get out of sync and the controls take a while to get used to unless you mess with them a bit. But they did port it to PSP in Japan if you want to try that out. And hopefully Capcom hears the fans pleads for a Mega Man Legends 3...but I'm sure they won't let us down. Capcom is known for surprising people so I wouldn't put it past them.

Thanks for reading my review!