Mega EverDrive Pro, official GBAtemp review

megaeverdrivepro_00_400w.png

I am proud to announce the completion and release of the Mega EverDrive Pro review, for GBAtemp.

The Mega EverDrive pro is a simple to use Flash Kit solution for the Sega Genesis. Designed by talented Flash Kit designer Krikzz, the Mega EverDrive Pro joins a lineup of excellent retro hardware solutions. It supports GEN/MD, CD, 32x (w/hardware), MS, and some NTSC NES ROMs, offering a library of over 1,000 games!

Please give the review a read and let us know your experiences with Krikzz Flash Kit solutions in the comments below!

icon11.gif
Mega EverDrive Pro Review
icon11.gif
Homepage
icon11.gif
Official Support Forum
icon11.gif
Official Everdrive Product Store (https://everdrive.me)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It boggles my mind that a Genesis cart alone can have the system play all the CD and 32X games without the needed extra hardware those games ran on.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It boggles my mind that a Genesis cart alone can have the system play all the CD and 32X games without the needed extra hardware those games ran on.
You still need 32X to play those games. The FPGA on the cart only allows Nes & Sega CD games without Sega CD add-on. Assuming the way the 32X actually works, might not be possible to actually have it playable without one.

Reactions: osaka35

drgnslayers

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You still need 32X to play those games. The FPGA on the cart only allows Nes & Sega CD games without Sega CD add-on. Assuming the way the 32X actually works, might not be possible to actually have it playable without one.

This comes from the site:
32X games require 32X addon to be attached.
*NES core has limited compatibility. Refer to user manual for details.
*NES core currently supported only for NTSC systems.
*For Mega-SG "Zero lag" option should be turned off for NES games (accurate Genesis timings required).

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Joe "Gamesack" Redifer put it, the NES emulator is a fun bonus, its not a "serious" or reliable way to play NES games. The cart does replace a Sega CD quite effectively though, much as Terraonion's MegaSD does.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive become a huge Krikzz fan !

Three flashcards, all running strong.

But I got 64 v2.5, GB x3, GBA x5 mini for like $33 over just this one haha.

Still, If I had a Genesis it would be VERY tempting especially with baked in SegaCD functionality. If I had an aging SegaCD, I'd be tempted to sell it to pay for this.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Krikzz makes solid carts with shite UI's. It didn't matter much when they were cheap but for $200 I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a more polished product (like MegaSD).

Reactions: Scriber

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krikzz makes solid carts with shite UI's. It didn't matter much when they were cheap but for $200 I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a more polished product (like MegaSD).

its a matter of personal preference, really.

Krikzz said he could easily code a more pleasant UI, or even color font options, with album art and all the rest of it, but he goes for utilitarian.

Its an engineer centric UI vs. a more polished one that feels like it could be stock. I could see why this would steer someone to MegaSD, though its another $70 and taller physical cart. and slightly less accurate SegaCD FPGA to total perfectionists afaik but may not be a deal breaker.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I love EverDrive's simple UI. It's a file browser with smartly placed menus. Krikzz kits are simple to navigate and obvious to execute.

Although the review clearly states that the 32x hardware is required, the front page news article did not. I've just edited this to make it more clear.

-Another World

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its a matter of personal preference, really.

Krikzz said he could easily code a more pleasant UI, or even color font options, with album art and all the rest of it, but he goes for utilitarian.
Exactly, that's the part that bothers me is that he could provide that option but doesn't let the user choose what they prefer for themselves. I would never want it if it meant using up valuable resources but if it's possible to implement without any penalty then the choice would be nice.

wezlyons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The UI doesn't really bother me to be honest, it's basic but it's quick and gets the job done.
Introducing a flashier menu and art e.t.c. would potentially slow things down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol