Hacking Max size for microsdhc?

slmpika

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have an R4 III Upgrade Revolution, and have had no problems with my 4GB microsdhc card. I bought a new 16GB card recently, but my flash cart always reads many of the files as corrupted, especially when I have a large amount of files on the card. I figure that this is a limitation of the card itself, due to the large capacity. My question is whether upgrading to a flash cart compatible with a 3DS, such as an R4i gold or an Acekard 2i, would make sense. Is there any problem using these flash carts with a high capacity microsdhc card?

slmpika

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I verified the SD card just in case, but it was from Newegg, so there were no problems with the card itself, as I had figured. I tried an 8GB card as well, and the same result occurs, though not as severe. It seems as if this occurs only when the card is holding more than about 6GB of data. I think that any data written in sectors past a certain point are perceived as corrupt files by the flash card. When I add the system files first, everything works, but the media files are corrupted. When transfer the card's contents all at once, the card can only load the main menu. Since I cannot verify the quality of the flash card (it was given to me by a friend and is, after all, a clone), I do believe that this is indeed a limitation of the flash card itself.

However, that brings me back to my original enquiry as to the reliability of current flash cards. I am looking at this flash card, but I just want to make sure that it will handle my 16GB SD card. I assume by your reply that it should not be a problem?

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a supercard ds2 that works fine with my 16gb microsdhc card on my 3ds.

No offense, but the phrase "you get what you pay for" applies to flashcarts.

slmpika

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, makes sense to me. Although, for such a cheap card, it worked surprisingly well. This is the only problem I've ever had with it.

I just put in my order for a new flash card. Thanks for the input, its tough to discern the true limits of a card since most descriptions are not always reliable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1