GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Hey Tempers!
Ever since we've been going over factorisation in class, one of my friends (the mathematical genius in question) has been pulling out seemingly impossible factorisable equations out of thin air, claiming they're solvable. Mind you, factorisation is not difficult for myself, not even the ones he's given me so far, which have been proven to be solvable by me, to ensure he's not trolling. But today he brought down the shirtstorm and just wrote this down on a napkin:
2abc+a²b+ab²+b²c+bc²+c²a+ca²
I just say "what in the actual f*** is this?"
He responds: "Solve it!"
I got as far as this before getting stuck:
2abc+a²b+b²c+c²a+(ab+ac+bc)²

You can either help by staring into the question with hatred, or, if you know the answer, post it!
ACEDIT: If this should be moved to Blog posts, I'll PM a mod.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
This is 10th grade maths (or first year of Secondary Education for Brits). Gonna see if I can press the answer out of him...

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It equals n.
wink.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
To find answers for things like that I think you need to use synthetic division. I say i think as generally I'm faced with stuff like that but with only 1 variable. e.g. x3+2x2+5x+2
Never tried factorising stuff with more than one variable in it and I'm at advanced higher (1st year Uni level). Or maybe I have and forgot, i'm good at that. Try asking him to expand (x+y)7 and see if he can do it in only a few lines of working. For a clue just say Pascal's Triangle. Its binomial theorem stuff which I've only learnt this year. If you want I'll show you how to do it and you can show off to him
tongue.gif

Also i have no idea how any of you guys got that answer. Synthetic division won't work with more than one variable and that's the only method I know for factorising anything above an index of 3

freestile

Trophies
https://www.youtube.com/user/freestilesteve
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
When do you ever use this stuff?? I mean really. I hate math I swear. Thats all I need
to get my CIS degree and its killing me. Terrible and find alot of that stuff irrelevant and useless.
We only really use addition, math, subtraction and division and maybe a few other forms of that.
None of this algebraic, radians, sine, calculus, statistics etc etc. Wack.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
damn. i used to love math and be the best in class about this stuff. well 2 years is a long time. didn't have much math lately.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh =P

I love these things. I went through all elementary school fascinated by numbers and patterns, and here I am going to start my Masters in Mathematics and Statistics

SCAN0014.jpg

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
freestile said:
When do you ever use this stuff?? I mean really. I hate math I swear. Thats all I need
to get my CIS degree and its killing me. Terrible and find alot of that stuff irrelevant and useless.
We only really use addition, math, subtraction and division and maybe a few other forms of that.
None of this algebraic, radians, sine, calculus, statistics etc etc. Wack.

Mathematics is fundamentally based on logic. It's sad, because only pure math majors actually get to do mathematics that requires intense amounts of logic and all of it is abstract material.

As people going through math, you don't need to remember silly formulas or remember how to do things, what you want to get out of it is problem solving skills. If you were given an expression, like the one in the thread, how do you go about completing your task? The theory behind math is some of the most complicated things ever seen on earth and unless you are a 3rd or 4th year mathematics major, you will never have to see. Besides the point, the math you see is useful in a lot of fields except humanities stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-