Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mass Effect 3 is a "single-player" game
Says BioWare
masseffect3spgamepic.jpg

Rumors earlier throughout the year were said about Mass Effect 3 having a possible Multi-player component. The rumors started when a job listing was posted stating a position was needed for a multi-player programmer on the Mass Effect franchise. Pacifen, a BioWare forum moderator has near enough confirmed that there will not be a multi-player aspect in Mass Effect 3. "Now that Mass Effect 3 has been officially announced, I return to the age-old response to this topic: Mass Effect 3 is a single-player game. Thank you.". There may be still some hope however as a BioWare representative has seemingly stated that the moderator went "over his boundaries" on the comment and that he/she should of written "BioWare does not comment on rumors." instead.[/p]
icon11.gif
 Source

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
XXLANCEXX said:
ugh needs co-op online and offline :/

No it doesn't.

Mass Effect is a plot centered single player experience. It's hard to shoehorn co-op/online play in when there's so much plot going on, and I'd rather they didn't do it at all than try.

Compare it to Borderlands, which was pretty much built with co-op in mind, and had very little actual plot happening (and very little dialogue with NPCs other than opening up a quest window).

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Law said:
No it doesn't.

Mass Effect is a plot centered single player experience. It's hard to shoehorn co-op/online play in when there's so much plot going on.
+1 Mass Effect is imo the last game on earth you need a multiplayer for, since the main-drive of people playing the game is that it is a crossover of RPG and TPS with an huge universe and story!

Just think about it: When you do a Co-Op-Campaign in ME you couldn`t have the deep talks and discussions or the exploration the series is famous for, since something like that is always focused on one player... Action on the other hand can easily be expirienced by 2 people.

But as a pure TPS ME is too clunky and wouldn`t work. Therefor you cannot strip the RPG-part of ME from it in favor of a Multiplayer, even if you just strip the RPG-parts for a multiplayer-mode you would also remove everything that makes ME so special and then you could also play any other TPS available!

In conclusion: Game, that has guns =/= the necessity for multiplayer
rolleyes.gif

jincongz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've seriously thought about it, but basic gameplay mechanics make it impossible. Easiest would be the speed slowdown snipers get from scoping. You can't just slow everyone down in a multi-player environment, ffs.

Posts merged

I've seriously thought about it, but basic gameplay mechanics make it impossible. Easiest would be the speed slowdown snipers get from scoping. You can't just slow everyone down in a multi-player environment, ffs.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jincongz said:

You've obviously never played Killing Floor.

Of course they could just remove the slowdown and just reduce the drifting.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! Oh! Oh! Me! Me! Call on me!

Who cares?
Mass Effect is a "choose your path" kind of game. I understand that some parts would be nice to have co-op, but in a lot of aspects, these kind of games are better off single player.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The article makes it sound like they have a multiplayer game plan coming. They are saying that ME3 will not be multiplayer, but that doesn't mean it won't have some sort of multiplayer attachment to it.

Anyone who has played ME2 knows why the game can have multiplayer. Not only did it move to the GoW mechanics, which itself had a multiplayer aspect to it, but the rest of the game including weapons layout, stats, and biotic combinations are all seen in other multiplayer games.

I've played through both ME1 and ME2 (both multiple times) and would love to have a coop or multiplayer aspect to the ME3 game. Especially, if the multiplayer will have an impact on the single player game i.e. territorial control of the galaxy, etc. They are already half way if not more there, they might as well take that last step and make it a solid multiplayer experience.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm sorta bummed but ME3 should be amazing either way.

I just think it'd be fun to be able to import your characters from your game into a friends game and co-op it up. Like say for example a friend wants a party of himself (Shepard obviously), Wrex, and Tali, you and another friend could import their Tali and Wrex (like stats, weapons, etc) and play as them in co-op, especially since Mass Effect's AI hasn't really seemed too brilliant.

But Mass Effect will still be an awesome single player series, and I do love it for that.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only person left who dislikes multiplayer games? Multiplayer was OK when it was local and an optional extra such as mirrored tracks or big-head mode but if a game is designed specifically for multiplayer then I don't want to play it. Online multiplayer is the worst as it's nothing more than an opportunity for some nauseating adolescent to call you a 'Fag' if you win or a 'Fag' if you lose.

Multiplayer? A pox upon it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Depravo said:
Am I the only person left who dislikes multiplayer games?
no your not i got tired of it a long time ago it's always the same run around shooting, run after a stupid flag or camp somewhere and snipe every1 pissing them off.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Depravo said:
Am I the only person left who dislikes multiplayer games?
Same here.
Online multiplayer, be it fpses or mmos, always tend to be tedious gameplay for a small successes every now and then.
That alone just doesn't do it for me and I get bored very fast.

Georgeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Infinite Zero said:
And then I just recently saw news that Single player games are dead....
wink.gif

Said by none other than EA adding quite a hillarious bit of irony in the mix. Zing!

Well, Mass Effect could theoretically become a co-op game like, for example, Gears of War. But wasn't it Bioware themselves who said that the Mass Effect Trilogy is all about Shepard?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol