Mario World original color hack

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by granville, Nov 14, 2008.

Nov 14, 2008
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    First of all THIS IS NOT MINE.

As we know, Mario World received a good port to GBA. But like most if not all SNES-to-GBA ports, the game suffered from two gripes:

- lower sound quality
    - oversaturated and washed out colors

Now, someone has hacked the GBA version of Mario World and restored the darker graphics! It's by a guy called Asaki and this is a sample of the graphics:

GBA port:
    [​IMG]

Hacked GBA port:
    [​IMG]

GBA port:
    [​IMG]

Hacked GBA port:
    [​IMG]

GBA port:
    [​IMG]

Hacked GBA port:
    [​IMG]

And a screen from the SNES game for comparison:
    [​IMG]

This would be so cool of a venture to redo the SNES GBA ports to look like their original versions! The hack can be found here:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/470/

A quote from the official site:

"It's a shame that such a cool remix got mangled with bright, washed-out colors. A lot of games from that period met the same fate, brightened so they would be easier to view on the original non-lit Gameboy Advance. Nowadays, my old GBA doesn't see much action (and I bet yours doesn't either), so I thought I'd try my hand at reverting the palettes to their original SNES shades."

"Finally, this updated classic is more suited towards gracing your GBA SP, GB Micro, GB Player, or DS (or I guess your emulator, if you're into that sort of thing)."

"It wasn't very difficult once I figured out what I was doing (yes, I'm somewhat new at this). I just copied the hex straight over from the SNES ROM to the GBA, then playtested and made adjustments where necessary. Some colors were deliberately changed, so I had to account for that."

"There's a few new tiles that use their own palettes, so I had to come up with those colors on my own, borrowing from existing colors. For the balloon, I played the game on my GBA with minimal lighting and tried to get as close to that as possible."

Official website:

http://redwax.circa1984.com/smwcr/

And get this:

He's doing the same for Mario Bros 2 GBA!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope to god he does Yoshi's Island! I reckon Mario 3 needs it the least as it came out near the GBA SP and they didn't wash it out as much.

I'm sorry, but I label this hacking project EPIC WIN! Anyone else share my opinion?

EDIT: the official forum for this project is here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,7444.15.html

I asked Asaki which games he's planning to color hack and he had this to say:

"No plans in particular, but SMB2, SMW, and Breath of Fire are at the top of my list. Would also like to fix Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country, but that's probably easier said than done (especially since MK has nothing to compare to). Gonna see if I can fix DOOM ][ in a minute, but I don't think I'll be able to change the blood back to red =/

Don't think fixing SMB3 would be worth the effort (since they only brightened it a minimal amount), but I don't remember how bad Yoshi's Island looks, I didn't play it very long. I'll have to check it out later, I'm on a burnt-out monitor for the weekend, so I can't really compare it very well >_

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Yes, this is completely awesome. All I want now is a hack to remove the stupid voice samples; the two of those together would make for a perfect port in my eyes.

3. granville
    OP

United States
    Yeah I remember you saying that over at the Pocket Heaven boards! [​IMG]

And I did see a person post a voice removal patch over at this color project's board:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,7444.0.html

Unfortunately, I don't know if it works and it seems to be for Mario Bros 3 Advance. But this is the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=4B6INA5F

I'll try it out in World and see.

EDIT: Nope. Whatever you do, don't patch Mario World with the sound removal patch. It freezes and glitches when you try to begin a game.

On the other hand, it works GREAT for Super Mario Advance 4 Mario Bros 3 version 1.1. It only works in the 1.1 version though. All voice clips are gone EXCEPT the "oww" noise Mario and Luigi make when they get hit (but the death "mamma mia" quote is gone).

4. NINTENDO DS

Member NINTENDO DS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Someone mention this to Etermal Myst so he can add it in the "List of the best rom hacks thread"

5. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I actually liked the voices in the GBA ports, but the colors of this hack seem much better! I'm not sure if I'll ever use it though; the colors have never really bothered me.

6. KiC

Newcomer KiC Member

Germany
    I only made that patch really quick, so I didn't check for anything past the first level. If you can list where voices still appear (and can post a no$gba save if it's later in the game, like, past the first few stages of world 1), I can replace them with another sound effect or just remove them, too.
    It also shouldn't be too hard to do the same for the other games.

7. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    The only reason the original colours are so bright is because of the visibility factor on the old, non-backlit Game Boy Advance.

But yeh, cool hack. Should look much better on the backlit SP or Micro [​IMG]

8. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Ah yes; I remember seeing that hack a few days ago in romhacking.net. Good one.

9. granville
    OP

United States
    Been playing on my 3-in-1 on DS Lite and it works great (too bad I can't save since my battery is dead). It's SUCH an improvement and I hope he does Yoshi's Island too! [​IMG]

@KiC

I see you were the one who did the voice patch. A good job there! [​IMG] I've always liked the voices though as they've never bothered me. It's Vague Rant that has the problem (and admittedly most others too). I might try it out in an emulator to see where the other voice clips are, but I'm on restricted internet time at the moment as I'm sharing a PC with my mother currently.

Edit: According to Asaki, the games he's put on top-priority for a color restoration are:

- Super Mario World
    - Super Mario Bros 2
    - Breath of Fire

He also said he wants to look into:

- Donkey Kong Country
    - Mario Kart Super Circuit
    - Doom

But these won't be easy and may not get done.

10. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I personally didn't mind the brightened colors, but that's because I played through the SMB ports on my original GBA, so I suppose I'm in the minority here. Still, nice hack, good to see people still working on GBA stuff.

11. Radio

Newcomer Radio Member

United Kingdom
    Agreed awesome hack. Makes the game a lot more pleasant to play on my DSLite. [​IMG]

12. granville
    OP

United States
    Asaki has now updated to provide color patches for these games:

Breath of Fire
    Super Mario Advance 1
    Doom (minor changes)

http://redwax.circa1984.com/smwcr/cr081122.zip

Important Readme (not really spoilers, just saving space):

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Note that the Mario Advance hack seems only to work on the Europe version. I tried it on the US rom, but it garbled all the graphics. So only use that patch on GBA release #0050. The Doom patch is made for GBA #0155 and the Breath of Fire patch is for GBA #0245.

Asaki is now working on a patch to restore Yoshi's Island:

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

13. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Ooh,looks alot nicer,surprised I haven't spotted this before(visit romhacking.net often).

14. gukid

Newcomer gukid Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm working on a patch very similar to these, for Breath of Fire 2 (with some input from Asaki). The full snes palette is back in, but the animated palettes are still incomplete. The game still looks MUCH MUCH better, but I'd like to have it finished before I release anything...

or maybe, what the heck, here's a patch for the US BOF2 rom that restores the full snes palette, fixes the textbox and battle colours. You might not notice, but the water on the overworld is not the correct colour, nor is the outer edge of the land. But it still feels nice to not have mostly blinding colours.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3pvsnb

I was also thinking that SMW2 Yoshi's Island didn't need a colour patch, but after seeing the results, there was a lot of detail missing in the lack of real contrast, and it's looking really nice in the modified version. Way to go!

15. granville
    OP

United States
    Great job on the Breath of Fire 2 patch! It's really well done! [​IMG] I'm loving these palette hacks. Now I just need a new 3-in-1. My old one's battery died.

Yoshi's Island was inconsistent in the color changes. Some parts were close enough to the SNES, but others were more brightened. One example were the dark parts of the game. In a few caves levels and a castle, the level would be pitch black with only a small circle of light surrounding Yoshi. Those parts were particularly lightened up in the GBA remake.

16. gukid

Newcomer gukid Advanced Member

Canada
    Breath of Fire 2 should be done now as well, the only thing I'd like to do, is actually LIGHTEN the colour a bit, as the snes palette is a tad too dark (even on real hardware). Currently working on it though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. granville
    OP

United States
    That's cool! May I suggest that you provide TWO patches if you are going to lighten it more though? One for purists and one for the partially lightened palette. Keep up the good work! [​IMG]

18. Knarf

Member Knarf GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think it was stupid for nintendo to was out the GBA ports as much as they did, but I'm glad someone is restoring them.

19. granville
    OP

United States
    Well, technically it wasn't *stupid* as the old GBA didn't have a backlight. But I'll agree it was stupid not to include a brightness/gamma setting where you could change it. The Disney's Magical Quest 2 and 3 did this so you could change the color back.

20. Tall Alien

Banned Tall Alien Banned

United States
    i agree i dont know why colors were washed out