Mario Kart 7 romhacking, what's possible?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by SWS90, Nov 1, 2015.

1. SWS90
    OP

SWS90 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    United States
    Hello.
    I recently found out that Mario Kart 7 can be romhacked. But I don't know what's possible via romhacking. I would like to edit the tracks and make custom ones, replace the music, etc...
    I currently don't have the game, but I do have enough eShop credit to buy that version.

If this has been asked before, please point me in that direction.

2. SWS90
    OP

SWS90 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    United States
    Bump.

3. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Well definitely music hacking.
    I believe you can edit maps and collision but I'm not sure how to.
    Texture hacking as well.

4. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Speed hacks.

5. Sinon

Sinon The Wolf Girl

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    Theres a website with some custom tracks

6. SWS90
    OP

SWS90 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, after looking into it more it seems like custom music and textures are possible. I still don't know about custom tracks though.
    Would you know what tool that's used for that?
    Could you please link that site? Thanks.

7. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Hmm since I destroyed Mario kart 7 (★★★) everything, some speed a artificial 200cc mod would be cool..

8. KaleoOmega

KaleoOmega I just don't know what to do with myself...

Apr 17, 2013
    Brazil
    Even for offline player only, 200cc Speed hacks would be very cool to play with local multiplayer. Bringing new life into MK7 :)

There was a NTR cheat plugin, I think (the only thing that I found is this pastebin )... maybe someone with enough knowledge can make a code.bin for use with HANS (considering if that's the proper way to do these speed hacks at Hax 2.5... I really don't know, just supposing here).

Last edited by KaleoOmega, Nov 1, 2015
    SomeGamer likes this.
  9. Sinon

Sinon The Wolf Girl

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    http://store.dshack.org/
    there you go, (if this is against the rules please tell me)

10. SWS90
    OP

SWS90 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    United States
    Thanks :) Now I just gotta figure out what's used to make custom tracks. lol.
    And as far as I know, posting something like is is not against the rules. But I could also be wrong.

11. Ermelber

Ermelber GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Italy
    Como, Lombardia
    To make CTs, you have to use some plugins for Maya or 3ds max in order to make a model.
    You have to use EFE to replace the files inside the szs and to make the Collisions.
    You can then use an Hex editor or my KMP Expander (for now it only supports CSV editing) to edit the KMP files (which contains Enemy routes, item routes, objects, checkpoints etc...)
    You can find it here (You have to compile it though):
    https://github.com/Ermelber/KMP-Expander

Stecker8 likes this.
  12. SWS90
    OP

SWS90 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    United States
    Alright, I think I understand everything. Now I just gotta wait for the eShop maintenance to end, so I can download MK7 :P

13. TrackerTD

TrackerTD Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    I've done music hacking already, but as for texture hacking I'm drawing a blank to one particular aspect; the Kart emblems. They have no model associated with them, and any import option seems greyed out. So I'm a bit clueless on this, as the main tutorial I've seen only seems to refer to editing textures with an associated model.

Tried it in Ohana, which did let me import; but then nothing seemed to work. Gonna keep at it.

UPDATE:
    [​IMG]

OK, so I got the texture working fine on the hang-glider. However as far as I know, Ohana can't read the different 'levels' the bcmdl file has, like EFE. So I have no idea how I'd go about importing this new texture into those other 'levels.'

Last edited by TrackerTD, Nov 3, 2015