Making the Switch to Linux! I need help with some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
OP
Trophies
Country
United States
So, after using Windows 11 for more than a year now (with previous experience with Windows 10), I think that I officially want to make the move from the AI serving trash os to Linux. But I need to know some very specific things that will ensure that I'll be able to completely TAKE Windows off my personal PC to move it onto Linux. Please read all of this because I don't think that I can go back whenever I make the merge:

• Because I have an MSI Pulse GL66, I don't think that I can use any of it's Keyboard features on my laptop. I've heard that there's this arcticle that ensures compatibility for said laptops, but I can't make the test yet casue well, I have Windows 11 on my PC. Not Linux.
  • I am a heavy Discord Rich Presence user, ensuring that every app that I use has me showing me using the app on there. An example of this is Notepad++. Becuase this app doesn't have a Windows variant, I don't know if I can run it with Wine, install the Discord Rich Presence Plugin, and my Linux Discord will recognize it. If it does, then it increases my chances of moving on.
  • Also, because I have an MSI Laptop BUT I'm not a heavy gamer, I have some games and such that I don't really think that has compatibility with Linux. Someone told me that you can use Proton to make the support roll higher, but I have no clue on if that works just yet. If you want to see the games that I play, here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/DragonMals/

I believe that's everything I need to know for NOW. I've done my research and saw that I can use Edge, along with some of the emulators that I have on there, but I still need help if the bullet points can help me get through the process of making the merge.
Post automatically merged:

I also learned right now that I can link ProtonDB to my Steam, and checked the games that will work if I were to make to Linux. Can someone tell me if https://www.protondb.com/explore?selectedFilters=restrictToLibrary&sort=hoursPlayed I make the move, will I experience any issues with the folllowing?

Oh and one more thing: Can I play Minecraft Java + BEDROCK on Linux???

Last edited by DragonMals,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If you're switching to Linux for the first time, I would highly recommend just dual booting instead of just straight up replacing Windows, this way you can test all of the above before deciding whether you want to permanently switch or not. Simply shrink your main partition on Windows by like 100GB, and install whatever Linux distro you plan on using to that 100GB partition.

As for your questions:
1) If your device isn't listed in the tested devices list, there's no way of anyone knowing if it'll work unless someone with that device tests it on Linux and confirms whether it works or not. Chances of anyone here having the same laptop and also using Linux is low, so just test it yourself.
2) AFAIK the Linux version of Discord is pretty limited when it comes to functions like rich presence, and it doesn't work very well when it comes to running anything in Wine, so I suspect it's not going to be a great experience if you rely on that feature. I know someone made something that pulls game information from your actual Steam profile instead of the application itself, but I'm not sure how relevant that will be and whether it will work for everything you need
3) You've already figured this out, but just look at ProtonDB. Anything listed Gold, Platinum, or Native will run just fine.
4) There is no official Bedrock version of Minecraft on Linux. The closest thing I can find with a quick Google search is this, which basically downloads the Android version of Minecraft Bedrock and as such requires you to own it on the Google Play store. Otherwise, there's no desktop version of Bedrock edition that currently runs on Linux.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
pls try linux first on a vm or as a livesystem not on bare metal
try linux mint or manjaro with plasma to get your way in

you can both use with out using much the terminal at all

another nice info some msi laptops wont boot linux with secureboot and or Intel RST i had to change mine to AHCI

and also you have to think abouth what games do you want to play most multiplayer with anti cheat will bann u belive it or not instantly because they see linux as a potential malicious

Reactions: Flame

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
OP
Trophies
Country
United States
I would highly recommend just dual booting instead of just straight up replacing Windows

This is exactly what I've ended up doing and as for the experience with Mint? It's great but there's multiple apps that I've immediately known that didn't really work properly even with Wine.

Notepad++ is Windows Exclusive, so I've used Wine to get the Discord Rich Presence, and the RP doesn't even work (Although PreMID does), and as far as my emulators go, it didn't seem to work at all. I couldn't even resize my computer without it being incompatible (125% is experimental on Linux as opposed to working well with Windows), snd I still have problems getting the panel (Taskbar) on both monitors without one not having the other.
If your device isn't listed in the tested devices list, there's no way of anyone knowing if it'll work unless someone with that device tests it on Linux and confirms whether it works or not. Chances of anyone here having the same laptop and also using Linux is low, so just test it yourself.

Tested this myself and the app won't even boot.
here is no official Bedrock version of Minecraft on Linux

This limits me my a huge margin when playing with people without mods.

Now here's the final question: I am highly considering Removing Linux but when you remove the partition that Linux is on to turn it into unallocated space, does it permanently cause data loss to your hard drive overall?

and also you have to think abouth what games do you want to play most multiplayer with anti cheat will bann u belive it or not instantly because they see linux as a potential malicious

I don't want this happening with me, so I guess I'll just stick to Windows..... I want to eventually get into the habit of using Linux though but I believe I'm just being a little bit impatient with myself, putting my computer at risk....

I think that when it comes to Linux, I guess I'll keep gaming within the Windows Side and Linux for casual use (and possibly emulation)

Last edited by DragonMals,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto