Making Sure YouTube Videos Don't Get Claimed

Polarise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, so I am starting a YouTube channel where I will want to upload gameplay of video games from Nintendo such as Wii U games and soon the Switch.

Is there a format you recommend me to follow that I should put in the description to make sure the video doesn't get claimed?

On my channel I will just upload gameplay without commentary or web cam.

(Link of the youtube channel is in the signature if you want to check it out. No videos yet.)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even under Fair Use, chances are Nintendo will still attack your video. Nintendo is extremely anti-internet and unless they give the option to stream, their stuff is basically "off limits."

D

Deleted User

I get copyright claims all the time. I don't care really, because I do YouTube as a hobby and i'm not monetizing them.

You just don't want to get a copyright strike.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo will bend you over no matter what you do.
If you're looking to make any sort of money, you can't. They take it. Well, most of it.

If you don't care about revenue then I don't think it matters. They just copyright claim the video and all revenue goes to them, so if you're making squat it doesn't matter.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You'd think it would be smarter to facilitate video streaming. More people see your games, more people buy them. There will be so many videos that only the special ones get loads of views, so that encourages people to make better videos, showcasing Nintendo products nicely.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
false DMCAs (meaning, folks claiming ownership of some material in your video and asking youtube to pull the video) are a rampant part of the youtube environment at the moment. Even if 100% of your video was shot by yourself, expect the more popular you become the more likely someone is to file a DMCA to get your video pulled. It's not just let's play videos, it's becoming a larger and larger part of being on youtube (especially when monetizing).

There's not much you can do. But it can sometimes help in getting your video reinstated if you make sure all your content is yours, and to place one of those "this video's content falls within fair use, all video game characters, etc, belong to their respect copyright owners, etc, etc" spoilers before each video for 10 seconds or so.

Plus make backups of your videos and store them on external media for the eventual take-down of a video.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)