Hacking Making invalid CIA's work again?

Rupin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm probably just stupid, and can't look up the right keywords, but whatever. Here I am.

So, around 4 months ago, I installed Luma CFW onto my girlfriend's launch Nintendo 3DS so she could play Animal Crossing : New Leaf without using my cartridge. Everything went smoothly, and everything was fine.
...until the system transfer.
I got a New Nintendo 3DS about a month ago, and I transferred to that, so I figured I'd give her my 3DS XL, so today I did the system transfer...
...but my dumb head decided that I shouldn't Checkpoint the save for ACNL first.
So now her ACNL : WA game won't work, and I haven't found anything about recreating invalid tickets with FBI or anything, so I figured I'd finally give up and ask.
Is there anything I can do to either backup the save, and reinstall the game? Or is there a way to just reinstall the game from the state it's in?
Thanks.

Reactions: NoNAND

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm probably just stupid, and can't look up the right keywords, but whatever. Here I am.

So, around 4 months ago, I installed Luma CFW onto my girlfriend's launch Nintendo 3DS so she could play Animal Crossing : New Leaf without using my cartridge. Everything went smoothly, and everything was fine.
...until the system transfer.
I got a New Nintendo 3DS about a month ago, and I transferred to that, so I figured I'd give her my 3DS XL, so today I did the system transfer...
...but my dumb head decided that I shouldn't Checkpoint the save for ACNL first.
So now her ACNL : WA game won't work, and I haven't found anything about recreating invalid tickets with FBI or anything, so I figured I'd finally give up and ask.
Is there anything I can do to either backup the save, and reinstall the game? Or is there a way to just reinstall the game from the state it's in?
Thanks.
CFW does not move in a system transfer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont reinstall the game on the 3DS that lost the save because that will overwrite and delete the 00000001.sav.

If that file is still intact on your SD card, there's a way to recovery it onto computer, reinstall AC:NL, and then put back the save.

Im away at lunch outside away from keyboard. Cant yet link to you the tutorial until i get back home.

Rupin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to install CFW on that console too in order for non-legit games to work
CFW does not move in a system transfer

I realize that CFW doesn't transfer, I used the same CFW method to install Luma, so both of them have CFW.

Dont reinstall the game on the 3DS that lost the save because that will overwrite and delete the 00000001.sav.

If that file is still intact on your SD card, there's a way to recovery it onto computer, reinstall AC:NL, and then put back the save.

Im away at lunch outside away from keyboard. Cant yet link to you the tutorial until i get back home.

Alright, thank you! I've got patience, so don't worry about it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thank you! I've got patience, so don't worry about it.

(Possibly) Recover your Game Save if it wasn't backed up with a Save Manager
(Animal Crossing - New Leaf, as an example game)​
  1. On the SD card where Animal Crossing - New Leaf was played, copy the Nintendo 3DS folder onto your computer.
  2. Depending which version of the game you have, verify that the game's folder is present:
    • Animal Crossing - New Leaf (USA) - Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/00086300
    • Animal Crossing - New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo (USA) - Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/00198E00
    • advanscene and 3dsdb are two comprehensive reference lists of 3DS titles.
3A. If that folder is still there, check if the data subfolder exists. You should find the 00000001.sav save file within it.

3B. If that folder or more importantly that *.sav file is NOT present, you're going to have resort to using a recovery program on your SD card. Here's a reference list of recovery programs to try:
See if Recuva free edition is able to find that save file. I also recommend EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard if you don't have luck with Recuva; while it is a paid program, the trial version allows retrieving 2 GB worth of stuff for free.

4. If you somehow manage to make it this far, you're not out of the woods yet. On a second SD card, reformat it as FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size (use guiformat if it's bigger than 32 GB). While it's empty, do a Full Write + Verify Test on it with H2testw to ensure your spare card is free of hardware defectives.

The reason why is a different SD card should be used is to mitigate risk. Leave that first card alone in case there was a mistake in retrieving the incorrect *.sav file or if you plan to recover saves for other games.

5. On that second SD card, put a CIA copy of Animal Crossing - New Leaf (same Title ID version that was played). (Re-)install that game with FBI, and launch it at least once. The game has to be installed on the same 3DS that was used to play the game.
  • Edit - You may need to make a single backup on a blank save profile with Checkpoint or JKSM before going any further. This is to correct for the game's "secure value" in order for the save managers to work.

6. Turn off the 3DS, eject the SD card, and on a computer, navigate in your Nintendo 3DS folder where that game was installed. You're going to want to take your 00000001.sav that was recovered and overwrite/add it back to its respective location.

7. Boot the 3DS again with the SD card. DO NOT LAUNCH Animal Crossing yet. Open your Checkpoint or JKSM save manager app, and make a backup of your save. If you're able to back it up, restore it. The reason this is done is to bypass possible anti-cheating protection that may delete your save if it has been tampered with. Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS is a known title that doesn't allow simply swapping the *.sav file.

8. Launch the game and see if your save was restore. If it wasn't, you may need to do a System Transfer back on that 3DS and try again.​
Side Notes
  • This method is not sure proof to work. It's reserved as a last ditch effort.
  • The 00000001.sav is encrypted or tied to the 3DS it came from (and maybe the movable.sed ??). A different 3DS cannot be substituted in its place.
  • You can also try restoring your SysNAND in GodMode9 if that was last known to have the exact movable.sed when the game was made.
  • If you have more than a few games you want to recover and if this works for you, you'll need the Windows program Duplicate Cleaner Pro to automate multiple 00000001.sav retrieval. This, too, is a paid software. Read this thread as a case study:
  • Always back up your saves with Checkpoint or JKSM. Always.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr