Gaming Making "Game Cards" for PC Games

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone here thought about making "Game Cards" for their PC games? It might not make sense to do such a thing on a desktop or laptop but for a Windows tablet, it might be a cool idea. Sure I know that you can just stick any old SD card into a tablet and have Steam install to that card but instead of a bunch of games on one card, I'm thinking one game per card. I'm considering keeping all of my 10 gig and under games on my 256GB SD card and connecting an SD reader via USB to my tab. Afterwards I will place 10+ gig games on their own SD card. Might be a bit more costly in the long run but it has to be cheaper than the coming 500GB and 1TB SD cards. Not to mention that I don't have many 10+ gig games that are playable from my tablet. The biggest catch would be making sure the SD card has enough space for game updates and DLC so properly calculating the space needed for you game can be kinda tricky.

Another fun part of this project (if I decide to try it) would be making cute stickers for the cards. Check out the pics in the spoilers section...

sd_card_label_by_neorame-d8tfm8w.png

sdstickers.jpg

post-4806-0-47354700-1407367440.jpg

OK I'm done talking. would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh I do like the decals.

But nah, if I would make a "game card" I would just get a 512 or 1TB SSD and shove it in a HDD bay in me server (or desktop) if I would want to have PC games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have had external drives dedicated to such things in the past, back when I was moving from computer to computer and quite liked the idea of being able to do such things (between livecds and virtual machines I could have "my" computer wherever I might be). Others did too but since everybody got nice phones and tablets and ditched Windows somewhat then it has fallen by the wayside.

That said I don't buy portable devices without decent onboard storage so with minimal curation I can always have something to do.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might have issues with games not loading assets in correctly

You're right about the assets situation. I tested "Lili: Child of Geos". On my tablet I normally play this game off my 250GB card that's in the built in SD card slot. For my test I placed the game on a 2GB SD card (that I had leftover from my Wii days) and connected that via a card reader to the tablet. Gameplay was actually a bit smother than from the 256GB card but loading areas took a bit longer and after loads, assets did take an extra 2 seconds to fully kick in. All of that said, it's a nice trade off considering that the "game card" setup will let me carry some of my bigger games on the go. I do wish that there was a program in windows that I can use to boot the main exe on my SD card. If so, I would place that in steam big Picture with a cool looking app and use that to boot SD cards directly into games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ