Make AOE DS a frikin RTS Microcrapsoftware

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by starfox468, Dec 14, 2008.

Dec 14, 2008
  1. starfox468
    OP

Member starfox468 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Required System

• [*] Pentium 90 or higher processor[*] 16 MB RAM[*] Microsoft Windows 95 operating system or Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with Service Pack 3[*] Local SVGA bus video display (with 1 MB VRAM)[*] 80 MB of available hard disk space[*] 50 MB free disk space for swap file[*] Quad speed CD-ROM drive - for cinematics[*] Double speed CD-ROM drive - for gameplay[*] Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device[*] Sound board plus speakers or headphones to hear audio[*] 28.8 Kbps modem for head-to-head play [*]

@CPU, Pentium 90, that is laughable, but since the CPU acts as a video card, Microsoft may have to 'optimize' it
    @RAM 16Mb, the ds has 4, at least the DS has nothing running in background, may need RAM expansion pack
    @OS Nope
    @GPU I'm sure the cpu can handle this crap, plus, I'm sure the resolution will be lower, with 2 screens even
    @HDD I'm sure a game cart can can store 2048mb...
    @Drives WE DON"T NEEDEM
    @Mouse NOPE
    @Music, speakers
    @Network Wifi

I do not see any reason Microsoft should not put AOE on the DS as a RTS
    If the DS can handle quake 2, it an handle this

MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Microsoft didn't make the game, THQ just got the rights to make DS versions.

Blame THQ, I've got an version of AoE on my PDA and it works so damn well. I don't see why they went the way they did with the DS game, perhaps its because DS gamers are used to turn based strategy games or something but whatever the excuse is that its a stupid one.

3. starfox468
    OP

Member starfox468 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It would work so well, even A touch of war (a homebrew) worked well, even robopocolaypse worked well, mabye they think it's too much money/effort to include a RAM cartridge

4. Jeff88

Member Jeff88 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Meh, in my opinion, most of DS' RTS aren't that good. There are always problems with the interface or AI. Everyone keep on saying that DS is the perfect console for RTS, but I don't really see it that way.

You are limited to the directional and shoulder buttons along with the tiny screen as well. Most of the RTS that I played in DS are only decent at most (Revenant Wings, Robocalyse, and Heroes of Manas).

5. Jeff88

Member Jeff88 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Sorry, double post [​IMG]

6. Jiyik

Newcomer Jiyik Member

United States
    There's enough RTS on PC to not want this crowd invade the DS. I stopped play AOE when they stop support a pause, ie AOE 3 and that was an extreme joy to see I have AOE2 turn based.
    Buy yourself a PC in you want play RTS. With its keyboard and mouse combo it will be the king of this genre a long time.
    I saw this RTS with vocal commands well I bet it will need a total change in RTS gameplay to have a chance to work. No surprise that RTS players find it too simple, so simple that it isn't interesting.

7. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    While an RTS AoE on DS would be awesome, the TBS versions we have are still very good games.

8. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    a few months ago, blizzard was contemplating making starcraft for ds and diablo for psp. imagine....starcraft with 8 player mutiplayer? i think korea would die from the shock. alas, the lack of a keyboard, and the very small screen would make it difficult for the game to be good. thus presents the underlying issue with rts on ds. though a dumb downed version of popular rts could work.

9. Fakie!

Member Fakie! GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    I think that DS 2 will be the perfect handheld for RTS. It's just too hard for the DS with its limited(?) power and small screens.

10. Pedobear

Banned Pedobear Banned

United States
    what is AOE?

11. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    In the context of this thread, Age Of Empires.

12. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm not going to go into this too much, but you are wrong. (Original Poster) Understand the PC, minimum, recommended, and the size of the maps, number of civs, AI scripts etc.. The game can require alot more than a P90. Especially Age of Empires 2.

I agree with @Fakie!