Majora's Mask N64 save glitch?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by leafeon34, Jul 8, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    To start, I am not making this up. This either happened or my memory is playing tricks on me. I never used a gameshark or similar device.

So some 10-15 years ago I was playing a PAL copy Majora's Mask on the N64. After putting it away and not playing for a year or so I decided to play it again. I don't remember if the save file was already there or if I made a new one at the time.

I started playing a save file which was at the very start of the game before you (should) have the Ocarina of Time. For whatever reason every item in my inventory was an ocarina. When I opened the chest containing Deku Nuts one of the ocarinas was overwritten by the Deku Nuts. After the scene when you meet the mask salesman I spoke to him right away and he taught me the song of healing without needing to retrieve the ocarina from Skull Kid.

Whatever happened after this I don't remember.

So in some rare cases can the save files in N64 carts become corrupt over time and provide interesting results such as this?

2. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2009
    Netherlands
    probably at home
    could be worse, I've bought a MM cart from a yardsale. When I first booted it up it looked like the normal MM, but when I played a bit some strange statue keeps spawning behind me ;)

VinsCool likes this.
  3. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    leafeon34 likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I love that creepypasta, it really creeped me out too. Those statues are really creepy...
    Did it stay like that across reboots? It could have just been a glitch in the game rather than a corrupted save.
    It would be weird for a save to corrupt itself in a way that only affects the item data. Although not impossible, it's unlikely. A corrupted save usually means you won't be able to load the save at all, or the game crashes when you try due to invalid data.
    Not to say that saves can't corrupt in a way that still leaves them playable, it is very odd that nothing else was affected though.
    How do you insert a N64 cart the wrong way? :unsure:

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 9, 2017
  5. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Having the left side of the cartridge slightly lifted is likely to cause this glitch. That's what I meant :P

6. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Oh by the way, I was googling about it again and got this video.

Description under is surprisingly similar to what @leafeon34 posted in OP :P
    So this is not bullshit :)

leafeon34 and Darkyose like this.