Hacking Major issues with EZ-Flash 3 in 1 Expansion Pack

marational

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've had the EZ-Flash 3 in 1 Expansion Pack for a few weeks now. I've used it for the opera browser, as a ram expansion, and for running gba games. For the most part it's done perfectly well, aside from the occasional freeze.

Well two days ago I was playing Pokemon Fire Red using the GBA ExpLoader and suddenly the game froze. I reset my DS Lite and loaded ExpLoader. I then ran the loaded Pokemon Fire Red from the Norflash as I usually do, but the game froze very quickly at a black screen.
So I reset, reloaded the ExpLoader and clicked 'A' on the Norflash menu, highlighting Pokemon to reload the game to the Norflash memory. It took a few minutes to delete the loaded game, and it began loading the rom til about 20%. It stood still at the point for a minute or so, so I decided to reset the DS.

Loading ExpLoader, it remained frozen on the first screen of the menu, and didn't display the gba roms which were on my memory card. I tried every possible button which does anything in the application, but it appeared frozen. Then I tried loading the gba expansion pack without first using Sakura, and after the gameboy advance logo popped up, it remained frozen at a white screen.

By this time I knew something was seriously wrong. I tried reloading ExpLoader several times but every time, the gba games did not show up in the menu, and it just stayed frozen as if no expansion pack was even inserted. Loading the gba cart on its own, it would always freeze right after the gameboy advance logo disappeared, but seemed like something was partially loaded or corrupted on the cart, rather than being empty.

I thought it might be completely busted, but not only did the DSLite recognize it as a loadable gba cartridge still, but programs requiring ram such as Opera Browser or homebrew that could access the additional ram were able to without any issues.

At this point, I believe that I have a corruption within the memory on my EZ-Flash 3-in-1 Expansion pack, but have no idea how this could be fixed, as the pack can only be accessed through the DS or through my M3. I think a format could fix this, but ExpLoader remains frozen, and I don't know if another solution exists.

shiroitaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds like the NOR is corrupted whilst the other sections are fine....
Possibly send it back for a replacement if still in warranty?

marational

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Destructobot: I tried reformatting before. I replaced GBAExploader and its related files with newly downloaded and extracted copies, but I still encountered the same errors.

Ryupower: I'll give it a try. Thanks. I'm not sure how to dump a DS game with the 3-in-1.

If nothing works I'll see if I can get a replacement. I'm not sure about DealExtreme's policy on returns though.

marational

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried Hyperlisk's NOR Eraser. It did not work with Sakura, so I had to boot it up through the M3 Real loader. The message read:
NDS Eraser by Hyperlisk
Press A to erase NOR.
Blocks to erase: 1
Done! NOR should be erased now.

It seemed to work fine. When I loaded the gba kart through the DS Lite menu, there was just a GBA logo which faded out to a white screen.
I tried loading the gba cart using GBAExploader, but I encountered the same frozen menu with no gameboy advance roms shown.

Also, I've tried running GBAExploader without the slot 2 gba cart loaded. It gives you a message that no slot 2 cart was found.

So I don't think the application's the problem here. It clearly detects the 3-in-1 cart, presenting you with the menu in order to browse the folders to search for gba roms, but for some strange reason, does not display any of the loaded games and remains frozen. At the moment, there's nothing I can do for my EZ-Flash 3-in-1 using ExpLoader.

Thanks for the link Destructobot.

Oh and if anyone would like clarification on the ExpLoader issue, the bottom screen seems perfectly normal, displaying:

"GBA ExpLoader [New3in1] (detects my 3-in-1 expansion) v0.57

Current RAM Save
(no saves detected or loaded)

PSRAM Mode
The options for buttons A B X Y and R are listed here."

The top screen displays only " [/] 10 game" in the top left of the screen.

Nothing else but a white screen is displayed there.

EDIT: Well haha! I used the NDS Backup Tool 3in1 that Destructobot suggested and I clicked R on that until I got to the backup screen. I clicked to backup. (I honestly had no idea what I was doing) It started by saying that it was erasing the NOR memory and I was really glad because I thought it might work. Well it went through the whole backup process which I have no idea about, but in the end, I was able to use GBA Exploader, load up Pokemon to the NOR, and well... back to my game!

Huge thanks Destructobot. I was lost without you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.