Hacking Major DSTWO problems.

WDSnav91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently got the DSTWO and i've had it for about a week and I have been disappointed thus far. Before I talk about my issues; I reformatted my Kingston 16gn micro-sd with the panasonic sd reformatter. I have also updated the firmware to 1.05 and EOS to 1.02 which is the latest versions for this DS Cart. I got the card to replace my R4DS and I expected to not have problems, right? Wrong! I have had non-stop problems with this cart. Now I have really tried hard to be patient with this cart and I understand that it may have issues due to its early life although the thing is almost unusable.
-I am limited to about less than a hour of batterly life vs the 4-5 hours I got out of my R4DS. This is even when not using the GBA emulator.
-The GBA emulator is super SLOW even when using the extra compatibility .txt file from filetrip. The file got some games to work now but most aren't playable.
-Even though I updated my cart firmware to 1.05, I still frequently get the NO SD card error frequently using it on auto-mode.
-The freezes are just terrible too... It seems like if the game lasts 5 minutes without freezing, then it won't freeze at all during the length of time I play. The bad thing is that it freezes about 9 out of the 10 times I play. The weird thing too is that even when the game freezes, the music will keep playing fine. It does this on multiple games that I have tried and the in-game DSTWO menu will not come up during the freezes although if I restart the DS, everything will work like normal again.
-The usb micro-sd card reader that came with the DSTWO died in the first day while copying stuff to my micro-sd card but I have another card reader that came with the R4...which still works
closedeyes.gif
-My DSTWO did not come with a wrist strap. This is a minor gripe but it would have been nice to have one.
Do you guys have any solutions? I really don't want to have to send this card back to ShopTemp. Thanks.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like it's either defective or it's your DS.

Getting 4-5 hours from your R4 actually isn't that good. It sounds like the DSTwo is putting strain on your almost dead battery/DS.

EDIT: Mine didn't come with a wrist strap either, it just depends on where you buy it.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:

Getting 4-5 hours from your R4 actually isn't that good. It sounds like the DSTwo is putting strain on your almost dead battery/DS.

EDIT: Mine didn't come with a wrist strap either, it just depends on where you buy it.

I think the strap was for the first 500 buyers.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hullo8d said:
DeltaBurnt said:

I think the strap was for the first 500 buyers.

Hmm...maybe. I can't remember. All I know is I didn't get one
tongue.gif

opp354

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I got my DS2 for 2 weeks and I get a Kingston 4GB micro-sd with it but the problems I keep on having is that the card keep on getting damage for some reason which I do not know.
I get Kingston 4GB micro-sd is in FAT32 and firmware is 1.05 with EOS 1.02 which is the latest versions for this. After putting game and others in I run it in DS after everything work fine but after sometime playing I off my DS the next time I on it the sd card just went and get damage and all game ans=d save is lost, this also happen if I run the GBA emulator or other emulator to play game.
This problem result me in formatting my sd card for more than 20 time in just 2 weeks and save lost in more than 10 game.
But after I change the sd card to a 2GB in FAT(for my old R4SDHC the clone R4) the DS2 run fine and no problem at all so I change the 4GB sd to the R4SDHC and 2GB to the DS2, this solve all the problem DS2 run fine and my old R4SDHC get a upgrade sd card.

But the point is DS2 have problem running a SDHC(4GB - 32GB I believe) memory card than that defeat the purpose of me buying a 4GB sd card for it. so I am still really unhappy about it.
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
DeltaBurnt said:

on the 2nd backlight setting of my dslite, with over 9 flash kits in my collection, i've never had more than 5-6hrs of battery life. i had a flash kit the day i got my ds lite. it was never the battery, i get 9+ hours with retail carts.

@WDSnav91: the ds2 eats more battery life because of the cpu. an sdhc card has more area to scan for your data, thus eating more battery life. what is the brightness setting of your ds? on the 3rd brightness setting of my XL i am getting 3 hrs of gba gaming and 4-6 hrs of nds gaming with the scds2. i'm using a 2gb japanese kingston msd card.

the gba emu performs very well, you just need to tweak out the settings. when you say stuff runs slow are you use to hardware, emulation, or flash kits? most pc based emulators tend to playback games a bit faster than on hardware. when i run an actual gba game cart in my gb micro or gameboy advance i see the difference. the scds2 emu feels about right to me, and at times much to fast.

you should not have updated to the 1.05 firmware. instead you should have turned off auto-booting and clicked to load the card. the 1.05 firmware is causing many issues for many users. some users have reported a useless (bricked) scds2 after updating.

any freezing issues you are having could be related to contact issues. your scds2 might have a bad msd slot, or your ds could have bent pins, or the pcb of your scds2 is not flat and thus not making correct contact 100% of the time. with all of the problems you are having why don't you contact your reseller and ask for an exchange?

-another world

WDSnav91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... Today the micro-sd card seems to be dead. It will not reformat and windows says it needs to be reformatted and I am unable to reformat the card. I am going have to send it back to ShopTemp so the freezing issues could have been caused by a faulty micro-sd card.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
DeltaBurnt said:

on the 2nd backlight setting of my dslite, with over 9 flash kits in my collection, i've never had more than 5-6hrs of battery life. i had a flash kit the day i got my ds lite. it was never the battery, i get 9+ hours with retail carts.

@WDSnav91: the ds2 eats more battery life because of the cpu. an sdhc card has more area to scan for your data, thus eating more battery life. what is the brightness setting of your ds? on the 3rd brightness setting of my XL i am getting 3 hrs of gba gaming and 4-6 hrs of nds gaming with the scds2. i'm using a 2gb japanese kingston msd card.

Well I've always gotten atleast an hour or 2 about 5 hours when using a flashcart. I suppose it could be his brightness level also bringing down the time.

Anyways, I was just saying the DS2 was probably putting extra weight on his battery causing it to go out faster (as you mentioned).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34