Gaming Mainboard replacement

TheBlueSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those motherboard sounds expensive considering where we stand now after the DS lite was released in 2006.

I have bought a few broken DS lites and repaired them to keep them as extras. If you look around people often sell them for as low as $5. I would say import a broken DS lite and salvage the parts for a motherboard.

As for swapping different screens, sure they will work 100% if they are functional.

Edit: :o Woah! That's a lot of motherboard, could they be from the stolen shipment in Hong Kong that was suppose to reach United Kingdom?!!!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, I need to buy something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-DS-Lite-MotherBoard-Fully-Working-/230629484873

Are there any such things as "generic" or "fake" mainboards?

And, can I use any spare parts I have lying around? I mean, I have the upper screen of one ds lite and the lower screen+touch screen of another. Will they work?
It wasn't ever confirmed, but there are "fake" Nintendo DS Lites around (like the Nintendo MD system or what it was called), but it might've just used original MBs with a fake shell and generic screens.

Anyway, it's a bit costly, I'm sure you can buy locally an entire broken DS Lite for that much, and usually the broken part is one of the screens, which you already have.

Yep, screens from a different Lite will work, I do that all the time.

Reactions: natkoden
P

pasc

Considering how cheap Lites are I thing you should be better off buying a used one ?

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You people forgot where I live. Used DS Lites costs as low as 60/70 dollars.

So, back to my original question, suppose I buy an used DS Lite and salvage it's motherboard (I saw one pretty cheap, but it's in very poor condition, and mine is perfect, plus it's pink) will it work? What things do I need to be careful about? I remember the first time I took apart one and ended up with a blown fuse. Just by changing a screen.

And yesterday, trying to change the lower screen, I guess I did something wrong because after that, the DS would just turn on, the upper screen would flash white and then turn off.

TheBlueSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not forget that you lived in South America. Infact, I wrote my solution keeping your location in mind:

"I would say import a broken DS lite and salvage the parts for a motherboard."

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I did not forget that you lived in South America. Infact, I wrote my solution keeping your location in mind:

"I would say import a broken DS lite and salvage the parts for a motherboard."

Sorry, I was not refering to you though. Just that every single user said "buy a new/used one!". I just wanna know if my method will work, that is, swapping the motherboard.

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ok then, ill try and buy a cheap used one or just the motherboard if I found one.

any considerations? like, "dont touch that" or "be sure to connect that first", etc...

TheBlueSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will recommend these:

1. Use very very soft hands when you handle things. Do not stress your hands/fingers to avoid any kind of jerk while doing assembling/disassembling.
2. Be extremely careful with the ribbons. Patience is the key no matter how long it takes.
3. Tighten the screws just enough and never over tight them.

That's all! :yaynds:

Reactions: raulpica

TheBlueSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I must choose, I will go with the latter.

For me, DS Lite is the best handheld in the DS family. It just feels right and has served me for several thousand hours of gaming. I wouldn't mind paying $80 for a boxed one in good used condition. :)

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just bought the DS Lite.

I'm gonna buy the mainboard as well to try and repair the other one. The third one, I might give it to a friend.

Will comment later on the mainboard replacement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: being sick still sucks