Mainboard replacement

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by natkoden, Sep 3, 2013.

1. natkoden
    OP

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
  2. TheBlueSky

TheBlueSky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Those motherboard sounds expensive considering where we stand now after the DS lite was released in 2006.

I have bought a few broken DS lites and repaired them to keep them as extras. If you look around people often sell them for as low as $5. I would say import a broken DS lite and salvage the parts for a motherboard.

As for swapping different screens, sure they will work 100% if they are functional.

Edit: :o Woah! That's a lot of motherboard, could they be from the stolen shipment in Hong Kong that was suppose to reach United Kingdom?!!!

3. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    what happened? did you accidentally broke your recently buyed DS when trying to fix the lower screen? :lol:

4. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    FTFY :whip:

NahuelDS likes this.
  5. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    It wasn't ever confirmed, but there are "fake" Nintendo DS Lites around (like the Nintendo MD system or what it was called), but it might've just used original MBs with a fake shell and generic screens.

Anyway, it's a bit costly, I'm sure you can buy locally an entire broken DS Lite for that much, and usually the broken part is one of the screens, which you already have.

Yep, screens from a different Lite will work, I do that all the time.

natkoden likes this.
  6. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    My guess is that you can find a cheaper full but broken DS if you really need a board.

7. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Considering how cheap Lites are I thing you should be better off buying a used one ?

8. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    You can buy used DSLites for less that are fully working

9. natkoden
    OP

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    You people forgot where I live. Used DS Lites costs as low as 60/70 dollars.

So, back to my original question, suppose I buy an used DS Lite and salvage it's motherboard (I saw one pretty cheap, but it's in very poor condition, and mine is perfect, plus it's pink) will it work? What things do I need to be careful about? I remember the first time I took apart one and ended up with a blown fuse. Just by changing a screen.

And yesterday, trying to change the lower screen, I guess I did something wrong because after that, the DS would just turn on, the upper screen would flash white and then turn off.

10. TheBlueSky

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    I did not forget that you lived in South America. Infact, I wrote my solution keeping your location in mind:

"I would say import a broken DS lite and salvage the parts for a motherboard."

11. natkoden
    OP

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Sorry, I was not refering to you though. Just that every single user said "buy a new/used one!". I just wanna know if my method will work, that is, swapping the motherboard.

12. Kouen Hasuki

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Yes. Yes it will

natkoden likes this.
  13. natkoden
    OP

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    ok then, ill try and buy a cheap used one or just the motherboard if I found one.

any considerations? like, "dont touch that" or "be sure to connect that first", etc...

14. TheBlueSky

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    I will recommend these:

1. Use very very soft hands when you handle things. Do not stress your hands/fingers to avoid any kind of jerk while doing assembling/disassembling.
    2. Be extremely careful with the ribbons. Patience is the key no matter how long it takes.
    3. Tighten the screws just enough and never over tight them.

That's all! :yaynds:

raulpica likes this.
  15. Kouen Hasuki

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Just take it easy and careful one cable routes under the card slot

16. natkoden
    OP

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    So, mainboard for u$s30 or used DS Lite in mint condition with box and acekard 2i for us$s80.

17. TheBlueSky

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    If I must choose, I will go with the latter.

For me, DS Lite is the best handheld in the DS family. It just feels right and has served me for several thousand hours of gaming. I wouldn't mind paying $80 for a boxed one in good used condition. :)

18. natkoden
    OP

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Just bought the DS Lite.

I'm gonna buy the mainboard as well to try and repair the other one. The third one, I might give it to a friend.

Will comment later on the mainboard replacement.