MAC address changing (No, not serial number)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ariankordi, Jun 7, 2016.

1. ariankordi
    OP

ariankordi GBATemp Greg Joswiak

Oct 25, 2014
    United States
    /dev/null
    Now, before you call me an idiot, I know the serial number is usually used. Nintendo has found a way to ban MAC addresses from accessing any Nintendo Network service, just like in the Mario Kart Wii days. Normally, the serial number is used for usual bans such as 002-0102, 022-2805, etc. PF2M, I and others have recently received a Nintendo Network ban that only system administrators are aware of so far:
    Images
    So, how do we know it's the MAC address? There are 4 variables that are capable of tracking bans:
    * Serial number
    * SecureInfo_A signature
    * IP address
    * MAC address
    We have tested every single one on that list, and have concluded that the MAC address is responsible.
    If MAC address changing of any kind would've been possible, that would be excellent!

EDIT: The ban came from Miiverse, not cheating. Why do you think we got a Nintendo Network ID ban? PF2M sorta deserved it for being an asshat with MCIT, but since I was credited in the MCIT thread and never used it so much, I got a ban as well. Here's an idea: How about you start asking before assuming?

Last edited by ariankordi, Jun 7, 2016

2. EmuAGR

EmuAGR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    I hope you can't, you cheater. This is a way to help hiding stolen consoles.

Also, that MAC is used in private networks, I don't think it got sent to Nintendo.

3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    That's why I highly recommend not to use the online if you are on CFW. That's why I never used the online through CFW at all. I do not care about online, really.

4. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Actually no. Its not that at all.

They got banned because they cheated. I use online just fine and don't cheat online.

Joel16 likes this.
  5. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Yeah, MAC address change is possible. It'll cost you about $200, and a trip to your local game retailer. Next time, don't cheat online to ruin other people's fun ;)

Joel16 likes this.
  6. ariankordi
    OP

Oct 25, 2014
    United States
    /dev/null
    If I was cheating, I would get another ban. This was from Miiverse, ask PF2M.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

$60 for a refurbished 2DS.

7. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Try replacing the WiFi cardl. Someone on here said that theirs was damaged and it changed their Mac to 0.0.0.0.0 or something like that. Worth a shot. PS, cheating is NOT OKAY!

Joel16 likes this.
  8. ariankordi
    OP

Oct 25, 2014
    United States
    /dev/null
    Jeez, I bring up changing this variable and everyone shames me into cheating. I can't myself, since my 3DS is bricked, but I know I was banned. PF2M doesn't have a screwdriver nor can he afford both, but that should make sense.

9. PF2M

PF2M Miiverse Hacker

Sep 8, 2015
    United States
    Ohio
    Why does everyone think we're cheaters? No, we didn't cheat, we just became Miiverse legends by doing whatever we wanted on there.

Pretty sure I can still use online, just not use NNID services.

...Though I can see that going to other people who did cheat.

Edit: I can't use online, it gives me a seperate error just for that. That sucks.

Last edited by PF2M, Jun 8, 2016
    20mark likes this.
  10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Currently there's no cfw that can mac spoof... well you can get an used wifi card from a bricked console, but where's the fun in that?

11. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Mac spoofing was possible on PSP, would be nice to see on 3DS.

Joel16 likes this.
  12. ariankordi
    OP

Oct 25, 2014
    United States
    /dev/null
    Knowing Nintendo's nature, I could see them using a hardware MAC address in the wifi card, but those haven't been seen since the early 2000s, and the 3DS supports 802.11g. This could be possible.

13. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Teeeechnically, Miiverse modification is cheating, and doing it explicitly to annoy/"troll" other people, so, yeah... You consider yourself a "legend", I consider you rightfully banned :)

EmuAGR likes this.
  14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I've been wondering if there was a way to change the MAC address of my 2DS, I like using similar MAC addresses across my network for all my machines. Usually DE:AD:BE:EF:FA:CE, DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE, or FE:ED:FA:CE:BE:EF

15. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Oh I didn't know that. I wish I can play PS3 CFW online but I fear of getting banned. No, I am not into cheat as well but still afraid of just playing online innocently.

16. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    what CFW are you on?

17. Temptress Cerise

May 1, 2016
    United States
    We are talking about the 3DS, not the PS3. I am not sure how CFW on PS3 works or it's limitations and what causes bans on there.

18. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Yes, I am just compared it to PS3 since Wii U doesn't have a problem according to your experience, that's all. ;)

19. ariankordi
    OP

Oct 25, 2014
    United States
    /dev/null
    Yeah, because talking about our computers is considered "criminal activity", and we should be arrested. Seriously, post your specs on Miiverse. You WILL be banned. Also, posting memes should be a thing. Should we be banned?

We (me and PF2M) use AuReiNand and rxTools.

Anything that's not Nintendo uses the usual: MAC addresses that are probably changable, IP addresses or just accounts.

codeluca likes this.
  20. Temptress Cerise

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Again, 3DS. Not WiiU. The WiiU is a completely different system than 3DS, and I am pretty sure that doesn't have CFW yet? I don't know, hardly keep up with the WiiU side of things.