M3 System vs Sakura Backgrounds

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by teesang, Nov 12, 2009.

Nov 12, 2009
  1. teesang
    OP

Newcomer teesang Newbie

Canada
    Hi Everyone.

I need some help trying to create a .bmp for my "SYSTEM" background. I've been able to successfully create .bmp files, use the Skin Maker and create Sakura skins without any issues. However, every time I try to change the following files in the default M3 SYSTEM, it doesn't display properly (at all).

mini_create.bmp and mini_load.bmp look to be two bitmap images that display on the top screen of the DSi whenver you load a NDS rom from Sakura. It displays for a moment while creating the save file or starting the game. I wanted to put my own bitmap for these images, but when I do, they never display at all. I will get a weird white or pink screen instead.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong for these .bmp files. Are there specific requirements?

I am using Photoshop, saving it as a .bmp in OS/2 24 bit format. I've tried all other formats as well. Again, it works with the Sakura skins, but not as a regular bitmap in the "SYSTEM" folder.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The range of colors you can use in the bitmap is VERY small. You have to use 8 bit bitmaps.

3. teesang
    OP

Newcomer teesang Newbie

Canada
    Is that a limitation only for the default M3 System? Since it works as a skin within Sakura?

4. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Only the mini_create.bmp and mini_load.bmp need to be 8 bit.