ROM Hack M3 Spirit Tracks Thread

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am staring this thread as i think i have found the problem for m3, its in the ARM7 file. But i dont know if this is correct this thread is for those who have M3's and are going to help! (not winge and moan) us find a way around this.

Turns out our ARM7 is the whole reason it doesnt work, once patched you cant save, if you stick in a new ARM7 the game loads, you just cant see a thing. even when unpatched game loads but you cant see a thing. current theory is about to be tested will post results when i haz them.

Didnt work anyone else got ideas?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm afraid I'm not much of a programmer but I have used DSLazy and (Arm7Fix in the past to 'patch' some games that failed to make a save file'

Would it be possible to Patch the game with a ARM7 that works, THEN Crack it ??
(I've tried but the crack expects the file size to be 134217728 bytes long)

I've tried Arm7Fix (with SimCity J as the 'doner') and got pass the nintendo screen - but then I get 2 black screens

EDIT: I vaguely remember that ther use to be a program that 'adds' bytes to the end of a game ROM - but can't remember where I saw it.
Perhaps if I can find it, I could try extending the 'patched' ROM to the right size for the 'Crack' to work

Shardnax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M3 will probably have an update for the firmware in a couple days, after all, it's a Zelda game. I'm going to see if it runs when I get the chance to get it on my cart. though. I will let you know.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
I'm afraid I'm not much of a programmer but I have used DSLazy and (Arm7Fix in the past to 'patch' some games that failed to make a save file'

Would it be possible to Patch the game with a ARM7 that works, THEN Crack it ??
(I've tried but the crack expects the file size to be 134217728 bytes long)

I've tried Arm7Fix (with SimCity J as the 'doner') and got pass the nintendo screen - but then I get 2 black screens

EDIT: I vaguely remember that ther use to be a program that 'adds' bytes to the end of a game ROM - but can't remember where I saw it.
Perhaps if I can find it, I could try extending the 'patched' ROM to the right size for the 'Crack' to work
That could work, but I think you'd still get the no video output error. =\

Also, you're basically looking for a program that's the opposite of a trimmer...Couldn't you do that with a hex editor? It would probably be a little more complicated but it would do essentially the same thing.

blacksheep998

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vincent, from your comment it sounds like you can actually run the game, but can't save.

How did you manage that? Myself and almost everyone I've spoken to with an M3 is still stuck on the nintendo screen.

And you can use filechop to increase the size of the rom. When it asks what size you want to cut the file to just enter 134217728 or whatever the size of the official rom is. Since that's larger than the current filesize it will add blank bytes onto the end of the file until it reaches the specified size.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
blacksheep998 said:
And you can use filechop to increase the size of the rom. When it asks what size you want to cut the file to just enter 134217728 or whatever the size of the official rom is. Since that's larger than the current filesize it will add blank bytes onto the end of the file until it reaches the specified size.
Where do you find 'filechop' (can you provide a link) - I've done a Google & found something called 'filechop' which is a command line program - only problem is when I use 'filechop.exe fixed.nds 134217728' nothing happens (fixed.nds' is the name of the 'Arm7 patched file')

As for using a Hex editor to pad-it-out.
I've tried that (with 'HxD') & got the file EXACTLY the same size as a clean ROM (134,217,728 bytes) - yet when using the crack, although I end up with a 'Cracked' version I also get 'checksum errors' showing while it's cracking it - & of course trying to run it , & nothing changes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's exactly what I did, and it just froze at the Xenophobia screen. It was worth a try though I guess.
QUOTE said:
Vincent, from your comment it sounds like you can actually run the game, but can't save.

How did you manage that? Myself and almost everyone I've spoken to with an M3 is still stuck on the nintendo screen.
What he means is that you can bypass the logo freeze with an arm7 swap but the video will cut out while all the sounds and buttons and stylus work. Basically, the game works, but the screens are black.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Subtle Demise said:
Yeah that's exactly what I did, and it just froze at the Xenophobia screen. It was worth a try though I guess.
QUOTE said:

What he means is that you can bypass the logo freeze with an arm7 swap but the video will cut out while all the sounds and buttons and stylus work. Basically, the game works, but the screens are black.
Hmm - I wonder what arm7 swap he used ?? - I've tried some other Arm7 & STILL can't get pass the Nintendo screen (he he I've even tried Zelda - Phantom hourglass as a 'doner')

EDIT: I think I've found a reason for 'lock-ups', but I need confirmation on it just to prove it's not a fluke
I have managed to get the Unpatched game to run on DSi (1.4E) & M3i0 with the lateset Firmware [Sakura 1.44 & 4.6X], but unfortunately the SAVES still don't work

I've found out it won't work on SDHC cards (I've got an 8Gb) but for a weird reason it WILL work on standard MicroSD cards (2Gb or less)

If possible - can other M3 users try it out (if possible) on standard SD cards & report back if it works or not

hyjacked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesssss.......Just to confirm, DSv1.4u m3i0 with latest update(sakura)+xpa patch+save file from this thread....working 100% I'm an hour into it and havn't had one glitch, saving and all. thanks

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i confirm that this process all works out ^^
we have the save file link and i hope this helps you out without need for searching
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89197
link to the thread for the latest m3 sakura/touchpod firmware
and the xpa patch link is in the op of that thread as well

OP needs to be changed in this thread ^^
overall process works, i use an 8gb micro sdhc card

Raiven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm :/ mine still freezes when trying to ride the train. also, I don't think I got the save-file working..
Could someone make a little nub tutorial for me?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Congrates to all those who manage to figure it all out

Justr got back from shopping & found it's been solved

I can confirm it fully works on a M3i0 + Dsi + 8Gb SDHC card (Traind Controls & Save works)
[Just would LOVE to not have the 'Xeno' splash screen
hate2.gif
]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16