Hacking M3 Skin Maker

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This program has now been replaced by my considerably more compatible program DS Skin Maker.

Visit DS Skin Maker to download and find out more.

Notes
Notes:

- This program requires dot net 3.5.
- The Preview functionality is not pixel perfect, and was only added for convenience. Any feedback on this is appreciated.
- Whilst the program allows for 32-bit and 24-bit bitmaps, I'd recommend using 16-bit bitmaps, since all bitmaps will be scaled down to 16-bit and whatever image editor you're using is probably better at scaling the colours down.
- This is still in beta state, and I'm open to adding some features on request.
- For anyone who wants more information on the Kaura skn file format, it's quite simple.
I'm not entirely sure what the first 32-bytes do, but they don't seem to have much impact. I tried settings all bytes to 0xFF, and the skin still worked fine, but the colours on the skn based images were somewhat messed up, it might be some sort of palette. As far as I am aware, there is no way to change the text colours yet. The file layout is like so:

Header : 32 bytes
Blank : 480 bytes

And then following are the images, stored in b15 format (16-bit bitmaps with 1 alpha channel bit, followed by 5-bpp RGB values).

0x00200 - 0x20200 - MainBG (256x256)
0x20200 - 0x40200 - SubBG (256x256)
0x40200 - 0x60200 - FuncBG (256x256)
0x60200 - 0x80200 - FileListBG (256x256)
0x80200 - 0x84A00 - Clock (96x96)
0x84A00 - 0x8AC00 - Calender (112x112)
0x8AC00 - 0x8AF72 - DS Icon Normal (21x21)
0x8AF72 - 0x8B2E6 - DS Icon Press On (21x21)
0x8B2E4 - 0x8B656 - DS Icon Press Off (21x21)
0x8B656 - 0x8F8C8 - Panel - Press Off (189x45)
0x8F8C8 - 0x93B3A - Panel - Normal (189x45)
0x93B3A - 0x97DAC - Panel - Press On (189x45)
0x97DAC - 0x9A08E - M3 Sakura Icon - Press Off (95x47)
0x9A08E - 0x9C370 - M3 Sakura Icon - Normal (95x47)
0x9C370 - 0x9E652 - M3 Sakura Icon - Press On (95x47)
0x9E652 - 0xA0934 - TouchPod Icon - Press Off (95x47)
0xA0934 - 0xA2C16 - TouchPod Icon - Normal (95x47)
0xA2C16 - End - TouchPod Icon - Press On (95x47)

Changelog
Changelog:

Version 0.6

- Added the ability to archive, preview and edit all skins.
- Added the ability to upload your own skins.
- Added the ability to browse, download and preview skins.

Version 0.5

- Added TouchPod support
- Added a font generator for Sakura Mode
- Added an invisible signature into Kaura skn files for fun
biggrin.gif

Version 0.42

- Fixed a bug that caused the MP3 preview page to stop working.
- Fixed an unusual bug that I missed during testing. Every now and then it would throw an GDI+ Error to do with it not being able to write over a file that already exists whilst Saving ("Save As" not affected). I'm pretty certain I've fixed it now.

Version 0.41

- Added the ability to extend the gap between screens in the Preview windows. Just click inside a preview window to add a 60 pixel gap in between screens. (For aligning Wallpapers and the like).

Version 0.4

- Now supports Kaura skins! Just go to "Mode -> Kaura" to switch to Kaura mode. It can extract, preview and compile Kaura skn files aswell as manage the other images.
- Added several Preview windows to Kaura mode.
- Now supports importing Moonshell 2 skins in Sakura mode (this missing images will need to be replaced).
- Added an "Import only missing files" option to make porting Moonshell 2 skins much easier.

Version 0.3

- Fixed a problem where the program was incorrectly informing the user of the wrong image dimensions when attempting to add an image of the wrong size.
- Fixed the alignment of ItemBG_Clear items, and the text in the Folder Preview.
- Folder Name Text is now correctly in the Folder Preview.
- The Preview font has been changed from Segoe UI to Arial for compatability.

Version 0.2

- Added Preview pages: 1-Line Mode Folder View, 3 Video Pages, 5 Text View Pages, Setup screens.
-Changed the Preview pages so they now update the time in real-time.
- Changed the Preview pages so they now update automatically when any changes to the skin are made.
- The Extract function now creates a folder based on the currently active filename and extracts the files into that
- Added an animated cursor, once all the cursor files have been loaded the new "Animate" Node will show it animated.

Version 0.1 - Initial

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've just added a new release with some stuff I missed before releasing this. I'm sure there will be some bugs left in, I didn't have much time to test this thoroughly.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aye, in Kaura mode the program makes you pick the folder that the skin is in. Since the Kaura skins comprise not only of the skn file, but also the other files in the folder. I suppose I could have made it so you pick the skn file, and it justs finds the other files automatically, but I think this way works fine (if a little confusing at first). I could always change it if people don't like it this way.

Saving is similar to the extracting, except it asks for a name (unless you've opened a file and not picked "Save As") and then makes a folder inside the chosen folder to place all of the skin files in.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol I get it now. I was expecting it just to look at the .skn file, but this way probably works much better (though maybe just add a little note somewhere that says that, otherwise people might ask the same thing I did xD)

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
themuddaload said:
hmm, now to make a tml logo'd theme for my ds firmwares :3

damn laptop in repair so no photoshoppe® *fist shake*
Psh, photoshop is for nubs that can't use Paint (lol jk)!!!
On the other hand, you could try GIMP instead (it is free afterall) and its pretty simple to understand.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Update to version 0.5!
This version adds:

- TouchPod skinning support (not a requested feature, but I thought it might come in handy),.
- A font generator for Sakura Mode. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done if you want to generate a quick font for the ScreenSaver etc.
- Added an invisible signature into the empty file section of the Kaura SKN files, so I know which skins have been made by my program
biggrin.gif

I've run out of ideas for now, so unless anyone wants to request any or notices any bugs, this'll be that last update for a bit. If anyone does want to request any changes or new features, I'll be happy to add them in.

QUOTE said:
dude thats amazing

what you code this in, C ?

Aye, well in C#, my current favourite language
smile.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stormwave said:
Update to version 0.5!
This version adds:

- TouchPod skinning support (not a requested feature, but I thought it might come in handy),.
- A font generator for Sakura Mode. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done if you want to generate a quick font for the ScreenSaver etc.
- Added an invisible signature into the empty file section of the Kaura SKN files, so I know which skins have been made by my program
biggrin.gif

I've run out of ideas for now, so unless anyone wants to request any or notices any bugs, this'll be that last update for a bit. If anyone does want to request any changes or new features, I'll be happy to add them in.

QUOTE said:
dude thats amazing

what you code this in, C ?

Aye, well in C#, my current favourite language
smile.gif

For the invisible signature thing, that's the only way to make them anyways
tongue.gif

And I like C# too, it's good for if you just want to code Windows programs.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
themuddaload said:
hmm, now to make a tml logo'd theme for my ds firmwares :3

damn laptop in repair so no photoshoppe® *fist shake*
Psh, photoshop is for cool people that pirated something that didnt come with their computer (lol i wish i was awesome like you)!!!
On the other hand, you could try GIMP instead (it is free afterall) and its pretty simple to understand.

ive tried GIMP, didnt like it, ill wait for my photoshops, kthx.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've uploaded a new version. I decided to try and centralise all of the M3 skins by allowing users to upload their own skins to a server. I also added a skin browser, so you can browse all of the skins.

At the present moment there are no skins online, so if people could upload some skins it would be greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

Please give feedback on the new features, and any changes / new ideas that you would like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs