Hacking M3 Real slowly turning out a huge disappointment

Onlooker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
First off, I don't mean to start a flame war. Just please understand, that I am on my second broken M3 Real card and am really frustrated. My experience is as follows:
Got my first M3 Real, worked fine, used a Sandisk microSD card at the time (oh, right. What's all this talk about classes?). Then, after exchanging the microSD card between it and my computer for a while (about 20 times, I think?), it started behaving strangely. Games would freeze and when I restarted the system, the DS would no longer detect my M3 card. Okay then. I tried putting it in and out again and it worked for a while again, but then, the same symptoms, only this time, it was gone for good. Someone then mentioned I should try a different card, so I got myself a Kingston card. nothing. I'm guessing the microSD card wasn't the problem? M3 card returned.
Second M3 card. The one I have now. Same *bleep* thing! The microSD card didn't even go back and forth this time! I'm really angry, frustrated, disappointed, not to mention I feel a bit cheated as well. Did anyone else have an experience like mine?

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of reader are you using with your PC? The ones packaged with the flastcarts are generally crap. Yes, sometimes they work just fine...but when people have problems like you do it can often be pinpointed to a bad reader. Buy a $12 Sandisk Mobilemate reader off of Amazon.com or something. You'll be glad you did.

Here's information about microSD cards so you can read up on your class question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

Onlooker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Yeah, I'm using the included microSD reader. "T-Flash Card Reader", it says. So, this is bad? I'm curious because, the reader seems to be reading the cards just fine, it's the M3 Real that seems to be having problems reading.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Onlooker said:
Yeah, I'm using the included microSD reader. "T-Flash Card Reader", it says. So, this is bad? I'm curious because, the reader seems to be reading the cards just fine, it's the M3 Real that seems to be having problems reading.

Yup, try something else. That's likely the culprit.

This is what I use...it's great:

Sandisk MobileMate SD Plus Memory Card Reader

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Onlooker said:
well the reader might be the problem
I suggest getting another one and reformat the card to FAT32
then test out roms and stuff you were having problems with

the readers only cost like $0.99 that are included and are very cheaply made
your better off not using it because it will just die like anyone who ever continued to use the reader that came with their flash card

the readers in the past have been known to cause corrupt sectors on microsd cards
so go pick up a microsdhc reader
I got a sandisk mobile mate reader myself for $2.50 USD from a amazon after the one that came with my m3r died after about 20 uses

Onlooker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thank you for your fast replies, I really appreciate it. I'll get a better reader like you suggested and report once it arrives.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RaiDesu said:
The R4 DS one works fine, but I find myself using a microSD to SD adapter most of the time, as I'm too lazy to plug it into USB. Why not try one of those?
because a lot of people dont have SD readers, or even SDHC readers

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
I sometimes have it where my M3 does not get recongnised in my DS. When it happens I take the M3 in and out a few times and it generally works again. This happened many months after purchase. I use the USB that comes with the R4 and never had issues with it yet.

However, when taking the M3 in and out does not work I give a gentle push on the bottom of the M3. (M3 Label facing down so you are looking at the back of it). It is hard to explain but I hold it in such a way that I can push the bottom of the M3 cart up (The part where the cart gets read off in the DS).

Again, I do this very gently. It has worked every time for me. This seems to make the DS make contact with the M3 and all is fine.

This issue does not happen every time I take out the M3 but it does happen. Also, I have never had an issue with the M3 being read after it has initiated.

Hope thsi helps in some way

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Onlooker said:
I'm really angry, frustrated, disappointed, not to mention I feel a bit cheated as well.

You should have been right after getting the M3, considering all the better products on the market right now.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
4saken said:
Onlooker said:
I'm really angry, frustrated, disappointed, not to mention I feel a bit cheated as well.

You should have been right after getting the M3, considering all the better products on the market right now.

Sorry but this looks like flaming to me.........Why did you need that post, you haven't helped a bit, only said nothing important to start an argue?

Onlooker, you should try to defragment your micrSD, and when you put all files back on, you analyze the micrSD, if it turns out red, repeat the process, if it's red again (not blue) then, you're microSD reader is really broken..
But for now, maybe it'll work until you get better one..try this what I told you, you're problem sounds like fragmented microSD..(sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and random freezes in game)..

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's been reported somewhere that the T-reader provided with M3 Real has a tendancy to wear out the contacts of the MicroSD card very quickly (being one cause of such problems).

I've always used a MicroSD->SD card adapter (like the one that came with my mobile) and plug that straight into my laptop. I've also got a 16x Card reader in the floppy guage of one of my computers, because flash media is infinitely better than floppy disks. Works fine with my SD adapter, and I've never had any problems with corrupted files.

D

Deleted User

4saken said:
Onlooker said:

Well, considering I have tried a LOT of other carts, the M3 Real has been my personal favourite... next, the CycloDS and the R4 equally.
I don't really understand what is wrong with the M3 Real.
smile.gif

Onlooker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Originality said:
It's been reported somewhere that the T-reader provided with M3 Real has a tendancy to wear out the contacts of the MicroSD card very quickly (being one cause of such problems).

I've always used a MicroSD->SD card adapter (like the one that came with my mobile) and plug that straight into my laptop. I've also got a 16x Card reader in the floppy guage of one of my computers, because flash media is infinitely better than floppy disks. Works fine with my SD adapter, and I've never had any problems with corrupted files.
Okay... Now I'm scared. So there is a possibility I have to buy a THIRD microSD card, because the one that came with M3 wrecked my current one?

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nonono.......there is a really small possibility for that..Try what I have suggested, and than you'll see what is going on!!
I don't believe that any of your microSD cards are wrecked..
There is really nothing wrong with M3 Real, I even use the microSD reader that came with my Real for over six moths, and I didn't have any problems..but I agree that they are poor quality..
The reader that came with my Simply broke after more than year of usage..

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
Do not get me wrong I agree that the SD reader might be corrupting the SD Card (but the reader would not stop the DS from detecting the M3 card as that is not placed in the reader - it may stop the M3 from detecting the SD card only).

I have taken the DS not detecting the M3 Card to mean it is just starting the DS and saying push any key to continue and not detecting the M3 in slot one. If it was the SD Card that was now corrupt due to the reader then the M3 would still be detected by the DS and the M3 logo in bottom corner would be seen in the DS bottom screen but then it would flash stating Unable to detect SD card.

This is why I suggested what I have in my previous post as it is the M3 Real Card having issues being detected in the DS which is not a SD card issue (as far as I am aware)

onlooker - does you PC detect the SD card when in a reader? And can you see all the files, games etc? When you place you M3 in your DS with no SD Card in it does the DS detect your M3 Real and simply state "Unable to detect SD Card"?

If it is stating unable to detect SD card then yes there is some sort of issue with the SD card and I agree a format and defrag along with a new SD reader etc suggested by Toni Plutonij (and others) may help the cause but if it is not detecting the M3 Real at all I revert back to my first post as that works for me when the DS does not detect the M3 Card.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Fun_Zephyr said:
Do not get me wrong I agree that the SD reader might be corrupting the SD Card (but the reader would not stop the DS from detecting the M3 card as that is not placed in the reader - it may stop the M3 from detecting the SD card only).

I have taken the DS not detecting the M3 Card to mean it is just starting the DS and saying push any key to continue and not detecting the M3 in slot one. If it was the SD Card that was now corrupt due to the reader then the M3 would still be detected by the DS and the M3 logo in bottom corner would be seen in the DS bottom screen but then it would flash stating Unable to detect SD card.
Yes, I understood that, but I didn't actually answer your question, sorry for that..You have a problem of your NDS not detecting M3 Real, which means that your pins don't make contact with the Real..There is a "fix" for that, you should place thick paper on the other side of Real (opposite of the place that makes contact, so the paper should push Real to the pins therefore making the contact)..It takes a little time to play with it, but that's how I solved my problem (the same thing bothered me with my Crimson/Black and M3 Real)..
The problem is that chip under the sticker on Real is to big, and in newer Lites, it makes problem with the contact..If you have any questions, ask..

Sorry for skipping your problem
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive