Hacking M3/G6/EZ's answer to DSLink?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've searched a little (forgive me if I missed something) and haven't been able to find any information about anyone's answer to the DSLink.

Nothing mentioned on their sites either.

Does anyone know anything about more Slot1 flash cards coming out?

(actually I think I read a thread mentioning M3 had something coming soon, but I couldn't find any info)

On a personal note, I just received my DSLite and am excited about getting a flash card, but don't want to get an inferior card if much better ones are right around the corner.

Figured this would be a nice small thread for anyone considering getting a card, too.

Thanks for any info.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The AceKard is the best answer as it has every feature the DSLink has plus a built-in no pass! The DS-X is also an answer but only has 512MB or memory. Those are the only two announced as of now but rumblings have come out of the M3 camp.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holding off judgement until the newcomers show some actual credibility from real customer feedback.. (get off the hype-train)

if it's from an established hardware devver group then at least we know it's quality stuff

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we have...

DS-Link (out now)
DSExtreme (out Oct. 16~)
AceKard (no release date?)

I suppose not only will people have to decide which card they want, but now they have to pick between slot 1 and slot 2. Just when I thought I had it figured out. ;>

But I guess it all boils down to whether you want GBA support or not. (and perhaps much better battery life for the slot 1 solutions?)

I see a lot of people are so excited about these new cards coming out stating that they'll get them the day they appear, but I'm the type to wait it out and see what actual users have to say.

By the way, FifthE1ement, your guide is very useful to newbies to the DS scene. Thanks a lot for it.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I read from the review on yyjoy, I would never get a slot1 solution unless games down the line prove to not work for slot2 solutions (probably will never happen) and only work for slot1 solutions. Reasoning is simple enough, the slot1 port is inherently slower in transfer speed vs the slot2. I was going to get a dslink just to play with it, but the m3 lites look so good now in the ds lites there's really no pt.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty damn sure a while back, around the time the DS-Xtreme was announced, that the M3 team slipped out a statement that they were working on a slot 1 solution.
Haven't heard anything since so maybe they were just blowing smoke.

Or I may be going crazy... That sounds more likely.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I'd have both Slot solutions so at least they're both pirating at the same time instead of Slot-1 having 1 game (or a lameass noPass device) in there
tongue.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I guess it all boils down to whether you want GBA support or not. (and perhaps much better battery life for the slot 1 solutions?)

Playing games off my EZ4 doesn't make any noticible impact on the battery life of my DS vs playing from a retail cart, but then I've never bothered to time it either.

Also, I'm having a hard time getting excited about any of the slot 1 solutions. I mean, what's the point realy? They aren't going to work w/ an Action Replay. If you want a rumble cart that bad get the new Super Card, I personally don't care about rumble. I have doubts that the RAM expansion for Opera are going to be sold seperately from the browser, so one would have to buy it anyway if they were using a slot 1 solution (on a slot 2 cart it may be possible to patch Opera to use the PSRAM on the cart). Most the current gen of slot 2 carts support "linking", so that's mute. Those are the reasons I can currently think of why one would choose a slot 1 over a slot 2 cart am I missing something? Oh, wait, supposedly there is now patching involved w/ the DSXtreme at least and possibly the others, I haven't read up on them. Sorry, but I hardly find that compelling or worth giving up GBA support.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc