M:tG players?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by drobb, Feb 8, 2013.

Feb 8, 2013

M:tG players? by drobb at 4:32 AM (540 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    Just curious how many tempers play or have played Magic? I've been playing for the most part since Fallen Empires way back when. So who else plays?

2. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I play casually with my friends from time to time.

3. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    i only play casual anymore. where i live now there isnt anywhere remotely close to go play. heck the best and only real place to get cards is at the local walmart. now back in indy it was diffrent but here. blah.

4. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Well to be honest its just too expensive to play MtG competitively as of these past few years and I don't really want to. I think CCGs in general has been a bit stale as of late which is why its harder to get cards cause its not selling as well.

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    You rang?

EDIT: For the record I've played since 7th Edition to about Time Spiral and then I took a break as I had no one to play with really. I recently got back into it when Scars was launched as I found a few people who played and taught some others. Now I'm reasonably hooked.

I mostly play casually but I go to pre-releases whenever I can. Went to the last two and I'm certainly looking forward to Dragon's Maze.

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    [​IMG]

Line up for your wedgies.

drobb and Guild McCommunist like this.
  7. Peps

Member Peps GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    As the avatar implies, I was primarily a competitive YGO player for the past several years. However the game has gone downhill significantly during the past 3 formats and haven't played in a tournament since late 2011. It's pathetically easy to get card advantage over the opponent, and the game has been reduced to who can OTK the other first. Games barely last 5 turns these days, and if you don't happen to have a counter to stop that ridiculously overpowered card your opponent has, you lose. The situation has improved a bit, but it's still pretty bad and I can't see myself going back to YGO for quite some time. Honestly I'm sure why people enjoy the overpowered cards. Each time I win a game because of one I feel goddamn awful for my opponent. It's not fun to lose against such cards, and it's not fun to win with such cards either.

However, just two weeks ago I bought an event deck and started learning MTG (the starter decks are seriously awful, may as well just jump straight to event decks and learn how competitive decks work). I play every week in the college with friends and so far so good. All of the concepts that you pick up in YGO are easily translated to MTG (tempo, CA, conservation, simplification, etc). The mechanics are pretty handy to get a hold of and the pace of the games is pretty good. Last I recall there aren't many MTG tournaments in Ireland because the game just isn't anywhere near as popular as YGO is, but there's probably enough college players to justify running a local tournament at least.

8. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Well the starter decks aren't necessarily good but they're meant to be basic. Plus most of the premade decks are meant to get new players to start building (hence why they now include a booster with each).

Worldwide it is still the most popular CCG. It's also the longest running and most CCG mechanics are based off Magic.

If you can find a LGS then they'll most likely have Magic there. Every Friday night is Friday Night Magic not to mention hosting their own tournaments and meet ups plus sanctioned events like pre-releases and PTQs.

9. Peps

Member Peps GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Bought the Wrack and Rage event deck, and it's pretty handy to get to grips with. My belief is that newbies should always start learning the game with (non-confusing) competitive decks, because it helps you get an idea of what cards are good in a game, what cards are terrible, why certain cards were chosen, and how good consistent strategies work. Sure you're not building your own deck from scratch, but in my opinion it's better to give them an idea of what type of cards to look for, rather than just putting them into the deep end. Now that I've played a competitive deck, I can build my own deck far more easily. It's just my preferred way of learning how to be competitive at anything really.

There's pretty much little to no sanctioned events (or product for that matter) here in Ireland for MTG, it's all YGO. I mean if there is any events and communities, they've kept themselves very well hidden from the YGO and Vanguard communities. I'm sure there's one or two events here and there, but I think card games in general are dying in this country. YGO used to have ridiculous turnouts back in like 2005/2006, but the numbers have dropped significantly since then. Pretty sure it's a similar story with the MTG players. I know there's a FNM every now and then in a shop in Dublin, but I'm certainly not travelling 120km on a Friday after work to play card games. :P

(Random note, YGO had a tournament with over 4000 attendees, double the original record that MTG had set for the largest tournament ever. Just saying. :P)

10. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    Yeah, ive been playing for long enough that i can just really toss some cards together and get a pretty good deck built, or at least to me it seems like im just tossing them together. here where i live there is nothing, no stores, not tourneys, no FNM, nadda. ive found that there are some kids at the local high school who play and may be getting our own little "league" together. I prefer, now since i dont have access to local stores and not as many players, to just pick up a fat pack when a new set releases. previously i would get a box, or sometimes a case split between me and my friend. As i stated originally, i started around 4th ed/fallen empires and played up till time spiral block. then took a break and came back around scars, picking up the odd pack here then in between. i do like that they now offer the deck builders toolkit, i find it to be a pretty good deal to get a variety of cards at a relatively cheap price.

11. Guild McCommunist

United States
    I get a box usually once a year for Christmas and most of the time I'll buy individual cards unless it's from prereleases.

Currently I have six boxes on my shelf storing cards (5 boxes for each color and one for artifacts) plus three pre-release boxes (Selesnya, Orzhov, and Dimir) for my multicolor, basic lands, and tokens.

Current decks I'm running are Goblins, Monogreen Ramp, UW Control, Orzhov, and Grixis Control. Plus some smaller not-so-serious ones like UG Infect.

12. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I used to play it. Started around 4th edition/ice age, built quite a collection (played with friends). After a gap, got back into it around...erm...I think invasion block. Played more heavily then, though always casual. Boosterdraft isn't that bad, but my friends and I have our own way to play magic*. Which is...well, more fun. For one, the outcome isn't decided on which theme deck is picked or who spends the most money on rare cards.

I stopped once they introduced mythical rares. It was bad enough opening a stupid "instant: discard your hand" or "artifact: players cannot cycle cards" card while your friends open up dragons and planeswalkers. It really shouldn't get any worse. :(
    Plus: with our way of playing, you simply cannot avoid power creep.

*basically, each has over 250 cards of cards they like (from any block). No overall theme, overly searching stuff or any of those tricks. You really need 3 or more players to make things work, though. Oh, and no killing anyone unless the other player aside you has 10 or less lives.