Status
Not open for further replies.

Plaguereign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am having an issue when trying to upgrade frm aureinand in that i have no payloads to put in the payloads folder. Are those generated automatically or am I using such an old version that I am missing things?
Thanks

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
95f7da36efe3d7019088a18bf6314d3a.jpg

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read the wiki. It was not in the wiki. apparently I had a very old version which did not have the payloads, just the sirmware files in the rei directory. I love how people assume.

There are no provided payloads. You can download whatever payloads (Decrypt9, Emunand9, etc.) you want and put them there.

Which is probably mentioned in the Wiki. Somewhere.

DragLeben

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure you have the .dat file on the root of your SD card?
Finally got it, the guide didn't mention anywhere that I needed to have a firmware.bin in the luma folder from an NTRFIRM.
Luma3ds's installation guide didn't help either since it just says that I don't need that anymore for 5.0+.

I hope someone can update both guides, they certainly weren't helpful in this situation.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read the wiki. It was not in the wiki. apparently I had a very old version which did not have the payloads, just the sirmware files in the rei directory. I love how people assume.

No version has payload files. They are optional. I don't use any. Of course, I'm using BootCTR9 defaulted to Luma3DS. Decrypt9 boots a little faster, I can hotkey over features I don't use, etc. Besides, I'm a firm believer in having an app that does one thing and does it well (especially if it's going to be the first thing that runs).

There's no right or wrong way to set them up. You can place whatever wherever you want it. I like having Decrypt9 on up, Godmode9 on down, EmuNAND9 on left, Uncart on right, ReiNand on X, and Cakes on Y. But that's me. Note that you'll have to cut off the first 12000 hex bytes of the Cakes.dat file (easiest way is to load it in a hex editor, hit Ctrl-G, tell it to go to 12000 hex, hold shift, hit end, goto File, New, paste, then save it) and save it as something like "y_Cakes.bin" i.e. you want to run that from the Y button. Almost everything else comes with an "arm9loaderhax.bin" that can just be renamed (if, for example, I did want to use Luma to launch Decrypt9, I'd simply copy the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from it to the "payloads" folder and rename it to "up_D9.bin"). I'd say it's a good idea to have a backup plan. You never know when your favorite CFW will break something (case in point, DS mode not working in 5.4 on O3DS) and you might need to use something else temporarily for that until they get it fixed.

"Starting from Luma3DS 5.0, you don't need firmware.bin anymore."

You shouldn't have needed a firmware.bin just to get it to run. Maybe your EmuNAND isn't completely updated (or your SysNAND wasn't completely downgraded if it's a fresh EmuNAND install) and is running a mix of files from different firmwares? Oh well, it won't matter once you have A9LH installed -- it will be running a fully updated 10.7 after all (except for those firm partitions, of course).

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: Plaguereign

DragLeben

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It says "If you want to use NTR, place firmware.bin in the luma folder"
Yeah, but wtf is an NTR? It was never explained or even mentioned on either guides so I had no idea which instruction to follow.

You shouldn't have needed a firmware.bin just to get it to run. Maybe your EmuNAND isn't completely updated (or your SysNAND wasn't completely downgraded if it's a fresh EmuNAND install) and is running a mix of files from different firmwares?
That could be it. I'm honestly not sure because this is the first time I've tried to personally hacked a 3DS.
I just got this as a hand-me-down from my friend, and it was on 4.5J and running EmuNAND through rxTools.
I then updated it up to 9.2 using this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki , then just ran EmuNAND9 to install a RedNAND.

But all is well now, so far. I'm about to start on Part 5 of the guide, so I hope everything is fine.

Last edited by DragLeben,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but wtf is an NTR? It was never explained or even mentioned on either guides so I had no idea which instruction to follow.

That could be it. I'm honestly not sure because this is the first time I've tried to personally hacked a 3DS.
I just got this as a hand-me-down from my friend, and it was on 4.5J and running EmuNAND through rxTools.
I then updated it up to 9.2 using this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki , then just ran EmuNAND9 to install a RedNAND.

But all is well now, so far. I'm about to start on Part 5 of the guide, so I hope everything is fine.

I'd suspect it was an incomplete update to 9.2 then. Japanese units tend to have the most problems with that from all I've read. You should be fine. You'll be restoring a 10.7 EmuNAND to SysNAND after all. You can restore SysNAND_original.bin to EmuNAND instead of deleting EmuNAND if you need a 9.2 to run Gateway (in which case, you might want to try to straighten it out at that point if it still won't boot when you hold L). Otherwise, just delete EmuNAND as the guide says. Your 10.7 should be fine. If you've already grabbed OTP, the most dangerous part is already behind you.

Plaguereign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanls for taking the time to explain instead of accusing me of not reading. Can read the wiki till you're blue in the face and it doesn't explain why you do or don't have payloadsit just says to copy them. So, again thanks for the explanations. I will chek out the alt boot stuff to see what will be best for me.

No version has payload files. They are optional. I don't use any. Of course, I'm using BootCTR9 defaulted to Luma3DS. Decrypt9 boots a little faster, I can hotkey over features I don't use, etc. Besides, I'm a firm believer in having an app that does one thing and does it well (especially if it's going to be the first thing that runs).

There's no right or wrong way to set them up. You can place whatever wherever you want it. I like having Decrypt9 on up, Godmode9 on down, EmuNAND9 on left, Uncart on right, ReiNand on X, and Cakes on Y. But that's me. Note that you'll have to cut off the first 12000 hex bytes of the Cakes.dat file (easiest way is to load it in a hex editor, hit Ctrl-G, tell it to go to 12000 hex, hold shift, hit end, goto File, New, paste, then save it) and save it as something like "y_Cakes.bin" i.e. you want to run that from the Y button. Almost everything else comes with an "arm9loaderhax.bin" that can just be renamed (if, for example, I did want to use Luma to launch Decrypt9, I'd simply copy the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from it to the "payloads" folder and rename it to "up_D9.bin"). I'd say it's a good idea to have a backup plan. You never know when your favorite CFW will break something (case in point, DS mode not working in 5.4 on O3DS) and you might need to use something else temporarily for that until they get it fixed.

You shouldn't have needed a firmware.bin just to get it to run. Maybe your EmuNAND isn't completely updated (or your SysNAND wasn't completely downgraded if it's a fresh EmuNAND install) and is running a mix of files from different firmwares? Oh well, it won't matter once you have A9LH installed -- it will be running a fully updated 10.7 after all (except for those firm partitions, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch