Homebrew Luma game patching doesn't seem to be working - What am I doing wrong?

angelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Luma 8.1.1 and I'm trying to use the Fire Emblem Fates same-sex marriage patch. Like multiple tutorials online have instructed, I extracted the rom hack, put the romfs folder in /luma/titles/titleid and enabled game patching, but when I launch the game, nothing is different. There are no new S-Supports like there should be. I have the same problem when I try using the same-sex marriage patch for Fire Emblem Awakening. The hack just doesn't seem to work.
I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be working. Tried searching online as well and I couldn't find any answers. Any ideas?
I have a Japanese region n3DS, while both games are the US versions. Could that be a problem?

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Why are you still using Luma 8.1.1 instead of Luma 9?

Assuming that Game Patching is enabled within Luma settings, did you follow the Wiki?
LayeredFS: This allows you to replace files inside the romfs of a game/application.

To use this feature, create /luma/titles/TID/romfs and place the your modified files from the game's romfs into the romfs folder.
Note: DLC patching and HANS-style romfs binary files (instead of a folder) are not supported at this time.

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Optional-features

What version of Fire Emblem Fates did you install? Are you using the specific patch files for your version?
Some patches require a particular edition of Fates (most likely the Special Edition) because they cannot deal with DLC. (I do not know the details, but these patches are applied by replacing/ linking files, and the directory structure differs among different editions.)

For example, the common European edition of Fates available on the eShop just includes the first six chapters of the game, while all three paths and additional maps are distributed as DLC. And I am pretty sure that the 'Gay' patch would not work with this setup, precisely because most of the content is available on the DLC.

Moreover, I once tried the 'First Servant Swap' patch for Fates using the European Special Edition on a North American console, and the patch only worked partially (most likely because the particular directory structure of my setup was not the target of the patch.)

angelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you still using Luma 8.1.1 instead of Luma 9?

Assuming that Game Patching is enabled within Luma settings, did you follow the Wiki?

For some reason I'd get an error every time I tried to update with Luma Updater...
I just updated to 9.0 manually and the hacks are working now!

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
For some reason I'd get an error every time I tried to update with Luma Updater...
I just updated to 9.0 manually and the hacks are working now!
Glad to know that it is working now.

And the updater is not necessary. One just needs to replace a couple of files.

Remember to update GodMode9 too. Those two are the basis of your system.

warheit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeap download the luma updater and install it. That will fix the TLSv1.2 issue that luma comes with when it tries to get update from github.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries