Loose Hinge (to all 3ds owners)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by matw01, May 25, 2011.

May 25, 2011

Loose Hinge (to all 3ds owners) by matw01 at 9:03 PM (4,078 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. matw01
    OP

Newcomer matw01 Member

United Kingdom
    hey everyone

can ppl please watch this video of my 3ds hinge and advise if it seems loose compared to yours, i don't know anyone that has one to compare it with.

It is a little annoying how it flaps back and fourth and it fell all the way back when playing fishing once.

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSriR0ZdJeg

2. mdlmemorybank

Newcomer mdlmemorybank Advanced Member

United States
    yeah that looks normal, Nintendo made it like that to relieve stress on the 3ds hinge

3. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Yes, that seems normal.

4. Gameplayer9198

Member Gameplayer9198 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah its the same here just take care of it and nothing will happen [​IMG]

5. RodrigoCamilo

Member RodrigoCamilo GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    For me is not a problem at all.

6. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    It seems to be a normal issue, as mine is the same way. My co-worker has a very firm hinge that snaps firmly into position, and doesn't wobble at all. If you can go without using the charge cradle, you could always pick up a crystal case or aluminum case that has hinges. They reinforce the 3DS hinge amazingly, and there's no wobble at all. Great for playing Face Raiders or AR games without having your screen flap around.

7. Melter

Member Melter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    can someone who beleives their hinge is "firm" post a video of it? I would like to see

8. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    My 3DS wobbles in just about the same way. This is normal wear and tear, just don't send it in to Nintendo, they will think that it is "physical damage" and not "faulty workmanship" and void your warranty! They did the same crap with me with my old [broken] DS LITE. Thanks a bunch Nintendo Repair service! Thanks!

9. matw01
    OP

Newcomer matw01 Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback so far, it does seem to be a common complaint.

As it is a little annoying when playing certain games i was thinking of getting a clear hard case as i have heard these can stop the wobble.

Anyone know if the clear hori hard case stops tje wobble and if not any uk based sites i can buy one from that will?

Thanks

10. matw01
    OP

Newcomer matw01 Member

United Kingdom
    well after accepting that the wobble is a common complaint and although not the end of the world it can be annoying playing some games i have bought a plastic hard case from amazon.co.uk and i am so happy with it.

it came with screen protectors although i had problems with these as usual and they are not on, don't normally use them anyway. The 3DS now feels much sturdier in my hands and doesn't wobble about on its own anymore, very happy indeed bring on zelda OOT.

thanks for the responses

11. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    How does the screen shake when you're playing it?, I mean unless you shake a lot when you play , I don't know how people can complain.

12. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    It doesn't require shaking to be annoying. When playing Face Raiders for example, my top screen would fall forward a little when I aim upward, and then when I aim down, the screen would fall back a little. Being able to hear, and feel the screen move back and forth is discomforting, and almost feels like you're causing it to become looser. This is my experience, and using a clear case with hinges makes the 3DS feel solid, and protects it at the same time.

13. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Cant you push the screen all the way back then?

14. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    That's normal. I even asked a technician at Nintendo Australia about it.

When I say asked, I mean I walked in there (With my DSi, but it's the same thing), asked to speak to a technician, showed him the problem, and he said it was normal.

15. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Well, I returned my 3DS several times already hoping for one with a good hinge and that didn't happen. Also, it says on their repair page that if the hinge is too loose and bothering you, they'll replace the 3DS which makes me wonder if it really is normal for it to be loose...

16. matw01
    OP

Newcomer matw01 Member

United Kingdom
    this is the way i feel about the wobble, i have now bought a aluminum case and a clear case from amazon UK, i prefer the aluminum case as i think it offers more protection but both cases get rid of the wobble and make playing the AR games much more enjoyable.