Hardware Looking for my first gaming laptop.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well depending on the experience you want, you could always consider a more portable laptop without a discrete GPU and get an eGPU to go with it. Less functional for gaming on the go and kiiiiiiinda expensive for what it is, but it's handy if you prefer to stick with one system and want the easiest GPU upgrade experience.

I'm running a Razer Blade Stealth 13 (2019) with an RX 5700 XT and it all runs pretty well. Plays everything I want to on pretty settings at least lol

Reactions: slaphappygamer

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well depending on the experience you want, you could always consider a more portable laptop without a discrete GPU and get an eGPU to go with it. Less functional for gaming on the go and kiiiiiiinda expensive for what it is, but it's handy if you prefer to stick with one system and want the easiest GPU upgrade experience.

I'm running a Razer Blade Stealth 13 (2019) with an RX 5700 XT and it all runs pretty well. Plays everything I want to on pretty settings at least lol
I tried looking into something for that but damn the starting price with laptops that have a thunderbolt 3 port is like $800
The value just wasn't there for me when you include other costs.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I’m not really looking for portability. I usually surf the web on my phone or tablet around the house. I would like to “hide” in other rooms in the house to do some adult gaming, GTA and FPS. The egpu thing seems more of a hassle and just one more thing to carry around and configure. I’ve pretty much made up my mind and will go with the MSI when it goes on sale. I just can’t beat the rtx 2070 at that price and I’ll have the Costco warranty if I need it. I am looking at other laptops, just in case this one sells out before I can purchase. Looks like the acer nitro 5 and the asus tuf a15 may be on my list.

I’m not looking for a thunderbolt 3 port, but would be nice to have usbC. Battery life isn’t considered in my decision as I’ll be plugged in while gaming anyway (otherwise I won’t get the full power of the machine).

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m considering this levono as well. Compared to the MSI, the levono has an rtx 2060, 15 inch screen, and a better battery and $100 less. The processors are the same. I don’t think I’d notice any difference between the 2060 and 2070. I’m upgrading from celeron integrated graphics. Lol. The screen size might be worth the price, though and the battery is a nice “perk”.

ok, the levono legion 5i i linked above is my number 2 choice. im researching a number 3 choice, just in case. :)

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After much, MUCH more reading, it seems that rtx graphics are still in their infancy and I’d better spend my money on a gtx 1660ti laptop. Those I see at a better price point. Besides, I’m more of a casual gamer so I don’t think I’ll utilize the rtx graphics card as others may. I’m not editing video or photos either.

The ryzen7 4800h seems to pair nicely with the gtx 1660ti. I’ll just be sure not to get a maxq version of the card.

I also realize that a 10gen intel cpu may be overkill for a 1660ti. So perhaps, I’d be well off with a 9th gen cpu.

After thinking more, I’d rather spend more on build quality than an rtx graphic card. For that reason, I’m leaning more towards a lenovo legion, Helios 300, or the asus rog m15. I do like dell, but the center hinge is very off-putting. It doesn’t look very sturdy. I could be wrong though, I mean, they’ve been selling them for a while now. Lol

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up with the MSI ge75 from Costco. It was $1199 at Black Friday. It’s so nice. I played stranded deep on ultra settings for about 4 hours straight and the fans never needed to kick to high speed.

ThomasChase

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My first gaming laptop was an Asus ROG FX504. It cost $1,200 and still ranks as one of the best laptops I've ever owned. I loved it so much I ordered a second one for my friend, who returned it within a week because it "just didn't feel right. I spent countless hours playing video games on it, writing reviews, and putting together guides for it on YouTube. I bought it from 10roar. These guys are having the best prices on the market for computers. I think you should take a look there maybe you will find something suitable.

Last edited by ThomasChase,

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I was still looking for a laptop when I saw this company, I would love this. Framework you can build your own laptop. And a lot of things are upgradable.

https://frame.work/

Pre-orders...and not currently in Australia. As usual. It's not like we're the largest landmass in the southern hemisphere or anything, no. It's certainly not like Australia's roughly as large as the US, nope.
Hmmmph.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...