Looking for input on an SD card

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Priss, Oct 18, 2008.

Oct 18, 2008

Looking for input on an SD card by Priss at 7:48 PM (1,135 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Priss
    OP

Member Priss GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    After much deliberation, I thank GBAtemp and Dealwoot.com for my decision making.
    @ GBAtemp thank you for your great reviews on forum support.
    @ Dealwoot.com you got yourself a new customer by having a shipping/delivery estimate tool without having to create an account. [​IMG]
    So it is a CycloDS I am aiming for.

I just need help choosing an SD card.
    Not sure if it's safe to get one bundled by Dealwoot.com if anyone has gotten one please give me some feed back as to the authentication
    of the SD card as they're many fakes out on the market.. not assuming anything.. just being safe [​IMG]

Second I should be looking at a Japan made Kingston card as I read only great things about them.. Are all Kingston cards made in Japan?
    Is the one Dealwoot.com offering for $10 bundle(1GB) a Japan made one.

I find SanDisk to be pricier than Kingston.. or am I seeing things...

Lastly, I read a SDHC class 6 is of good quality. I can only find class 4 [​IMG]
    Will the SDHC class 4+ give me better performance than a 1-2GB Japan made Kingston SD card?

With a SDHC also comes the problem of getting a new USB compatible reader/writer I believe. The Cyclo one would be obsolete.

Thank you again for this great community and hopefully with good experience will become a congregate.

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    hmm
    it depends on if youre like lazy and dont want to change the games on your SD card that often
    because i am fine with just a 2GB
    i mean its cheaper, and i dont really mind taking off obsolete games i dont play

and i think dealwoot is pretty legit.
    they arent the kind of company that would try and sell fake SDs. i hope not.

ok for kingston microSDs, i think they can be made in taiwan too

umm i dont know much about the class whatever for SDHC cuz i only have an SD

its mainly based on preference. do you prefer to pay more for a higher storing capacity card?
    if you dont care, you should stick to 2GB then.

and i think a class 4 SDHC is already pretty good.
    but here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211343
    newegg has a few class 6 ones.

3. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    i recomend buying a 4gb class 6 from newegg, like tinymonkeyt said.

i also recomend buying a kingston 1gb japan card from newegg, they are rediculously fast, and run all the problematic games (and they are only $3.30 [usd] )

thats what i did, i use the 4gb card for games/music/movies, and use the 1gb for the problem games and homebrew.

4. Priss
    OP

Canada
    Newegg.com does not ship to Canada [​IMG]
    @themuddaload the Class 6 micro SDHC 4GB A-DATA is slower than the micro SD 1GB Kingston (japan) one?

So I went to Future shop today... and this is what they tell me... micro sdhc does not go pass class 4...
    So I picked out a 4GB Kinston (japan) SDHC class 4 @$40CAN and put it on the side.. good thing I didn't buy it yet.

Kingston is also made in China and Taiwan. go figure...

My idea behind getting an SDHC class 4+ is that I wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into lag/freeze issues with Castlevania.
    @themuddaload have you tried the problematic games on the A-DATA class 6? feedback pls [​IMG]

Anyone out there with a class 4 and running fine with the "problematic" games?

Edit: Got my CycloDS ordered and bought my DS Lite today. Just need to choose 1 or more SD card !

5. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Apparently some people have been running Castlevania fine on a Sandisk 8GB Class 4. Class ratings though are no indication of whether a game will run without slowdowns/etc or not, you should be looking at random access times.

6. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    i have 2 adata 4 gigs, and they dont run the castlevanias or twewy. i had one that ran perfectly, but it broke, and the replacement wouldnt run them =( my kingston 1gb, however runs them almost flawlessly.

there are about 5 different types of 4gb microsdhc class 6 cards on newegg for about $20, dont buy the 4gig one for $40!

it is probable that you could find a 4gb class 6 + a kingston 1gb, shipped for under $25usd

you may find this somewhat helpful:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98384

7. Priss
    OP

Canada
    After doing online shopping,
    I finally found a Canadian store who wont charge me $50+ for delivery
    AND it has Kingston 1GB Micro SD (Japan) in stock for $6.75USD / $8.ooCAN
    For anything higher basically double that - $1.ooCAN
    Delivery charge of $10.ooCAN (it would cost more to drive there)

If I buy 2x Kingston 1GB Micro SD (Japan)... do you guys think I'll have enough
    space for games? and maybe video usage? (not even sure what formats it can play)

It would end up costing me $25.ooUSD for the 2 cards and delivery.

Or if anyone feels really generous to buy a Kingston 1GB Micro SD (Japan) + A-DATA 4GB Micro SDHC
    from newegg.com and mail them to me I'd be more than happy to pay $30.ooUSD through paypal
    and you can keep the change. (or we can come to an agreement) [​IMG]

8. triclopzx

Newcomer triclopzx Advanced Member

Puerto Rico
    Well I bought my cyclo with a-data 4gig class 6 no problem at all with any game.

you can get lots of deals in www.supermediastore.com i always buy from them at reasonable prices,
    dont know where the ship you have to check that yourself.

Any one has some inputs on the new

a-data 8gb class 6? or kingston 8gb class 4?