Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
rule of thumb has always been:
phone is bought from sony = bootloader can be unlocked
phone is bought from a phone company = bootloader cannot be unlocked

either way, you can still customize pretty much anything except the kernel. that means no cyanogenmod, but stock based images are way better IMHO.

unlocking the bootloader wipes the drm keys, but you can backup the drm keys before unlocking the bootloader and restore them afterwards.
and to be honest, those drm keys aren't used for anything useful anyways.
Well that's kinda dumb, the manufacturer is always Sony so you should unlock it regardless, its your device you do what you want with it.
So even if you want to buy it used, you're basically gambling to see if you get an unlockable one or a locked one.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Well that's kinda dumb, the manufacturer is always Sony so you should unlock it regardless, its your device you do what you want with it.
So even if you want to buy it used, you're basically gambling to see if you get an unlockable one or a locked one.
yeah, it's dumb. but phone companies don't like that their users could customize their phones because they think that that can lead to free minutes and internet or bypass other restrictions they like to impose.
you can always ask the seller to see if he got the phone from a company or directly from sony, if he isn't sure it's really easy to check typing *#*#7378423#*#* (*#*#service#*#*) then service info > configuration > rooting status

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
One of those LG phones that you can flash ROMs on without unlocking the bootloader.
Officially unlocking the bootloader on phones will change it irreversibly, so an exploit to load your own software is the only option.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Since you're looking for flagships, that should at least narrow your searches.
I assume Android phones like Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+/S8/S8+, Note 8, LG V30, Google Pixel 2/2 XL, Huawei Mate 10 Pro,
Those are the most popular flagship phones.
Just check their corresponding threads on XDA-Developers for community activities. Some of them aren't that active (not sure haven't checked there for a while).
I'm pretty sure there are different variations of those phones which can be rooted, unlocked bootloader, etc. for pure customization tailored to your taste. Warranty voided. :P
But my best pick would be Google Pixel 2 XL.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
One of those LG phones that you can flash ROMs on without unlocking the bootloader.
Officially unlocking the bootloader on phones will change it irreversibly, so an exploit to load your own software is the only option.
Not really, you can re-lock it again.
AFAIK the only phone that does keep track of what you did is Samsung.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Not really, you can re-lock it again.
AFAIK the only phone that does keep track of what you did is Samsung.
They all keep track of the unlock status through one of the efuses.
Though relocking it will make it appear mostly like it has never been done.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They all keep track of the unlock status through one of the efuses.
Though relocking it will make it appear mostly like it has never been done.
So far, from what I've gathered only Motorola and Samsung had them. Xiaomi on the other hand does not.
Not to mention that they do warranty repairs for bootloader/rooted phone as long as you didn't bricked it.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
sony phones can be flashed and modified as much as you want without unlocking the bootloader, that only limits kernel flashing. you can only flash official kernels with a locked bootloader, but everything else is perfectly modifiable.
another advantage is that are practically unbrickable, it you screw up you can easily flash a stock firmware no matter what (unless you broke the volume down key and/or the usb port).

huawei phones have earned a good reputation lately, I have a friend that isn't too tech savvy with a p8 lite and he was able to root it himself with little hassle.
specs are good and the prices are low, what else can you ask for?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
any android phone can steal your data if you install the wrong app in it.
it gets even easier when its rooted.
do you honestly have anything to loose though? do you intend to use it for very sensitive purposes?

also, whats your budget?

SomeGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Also, it has Mi Cloud, which you can't even unlock it without extra hardware (think of this as Android's iCloud) meaning that its well protected, a simple ROM flash won't wipe it nor deleting its entire partitions, its well encrypted.
You bet I won't be using a Chinese cloud service! And how is ROM flashing not deleting everything related to good encryption?
go for a sony xperia
Nope, have a Z5 Compact ATM, camera is a huge disappointment.
on topic maybe nokia 7?
SD660? That isn't exactly high end.
SD808 would be a step back from my current phone which has SD810.
that only limits kernel flashing
Except if the kernel has dm-verity
Sony Xperia Z2 Compact
Don't you mean XZ2 Compact? :P
also, whats your budget?
No budget. Willing to shell out money for a phone I can use for years to come.
my next phone will be either a pixel or a one plus.
Same mindset, sadly every Pixel around here is for Asian markets -> no LTE. Do you think it's worth waiting for the OP6?
I assume Android phones like Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+/S8/S8+, Note 8, LG V30, Google Pixel 2/2 XL, Huawei Mate 10 Pro,
Will check those out, thanks!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a couple of weeks for the Oneplus 6.
I've been using the OP3 for over 2 years now, and I'm never buying a flagship android device ever again.

I highly doubt it then he would even would consider it, since Oneplus is based in China and he worry about personal info leak.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I highly doubt it then he would even would consider it, since Oneplus is based in China and he worry about personal info leak.
Literally all of the news stories about OnePlus leaking info to chinese servers were proven to be misconceptions or simply false. Even then, the OP seems to be keen into installing third party roms on his phone, so it wouldn't matter even if Oxygen OS leaked anything (which again, it doesn't).

Reactions: Yepi69

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally all of the news stories about OnePlus leaking info to chinese servers were proven to be misconceptions or simply false. Even then, the OP seems to be keen into installing third party roms on his phone, so it wouldn't matter even if Oxygen OS leaked anything (which again, it doesn't).

I would agree with you that One Plus 6 is a good choice, I am also using One Plus 3 just like you.

Reactions: AlanJohn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...