Hacking Long and Forgotten Wii User

Da Foxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello fellow GBATemps!

I need your help! It seem theirs been a lot that has happened to the Wii community and I have not been keeping up. Its been a good year almost since I last played the on Wii. If I remember correctly the last time I recall playing it was when the Zapper came out. Anyways, I came to ask questions and hope someone could point me in the right direction as well as to get me up to date with the newest stuff.

Basic information: My Wii is modded with the WiiKey chip (the first kind, not clone) and firmware is ~ 3.0

Questions:
1. Is it safe to update the Wii if you have it modded? Has Nintendo taken any actions against any chips?
2. Have their been any new updates for the WiiKey since the second update they released? The one with the naked butt of the girl on the screen.
tongue.gif

3. How can I install the Homebrew Channel, and what are some stuff that I can run off it? Is it worth installing? Is it safe to use? Is it safe to use after the new updates?
4. Loaders? Whats that?!
5. Can you now run games of a USB?! Can you softmod your Wii now?
6. What are some new games that you recommend for me to try?

Thanks!

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1. It is "safe" for hardmods, as it does not disable the chip, but you'll lose the habilities to use any kind of homebrew (for now). Wich is lame, since you won't be needing your DVD drive for now (see item 4). You also won't be able to use fakesigning anymore (trucha bug, wads and stuff).

2. There have been updates, at least until Super Smash Brothers Brawl. 1.9s is the latest version (I GUESS... I'm not into wiikey...)

3. Search for Twilight Hack. Google is your friend.

4. Loaders are apps (homebrews) that allow you to play backups without a modchip. The latest USB loader lets you play ISOs directly from a USB drive.

5. I'm currently playing Rune Factory Frontier, and enjoying a lot.

Good luck!

Da Foxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
--JoCa-- said:
1. It is "safe" for hardmods, as it does not disable the chip, but you'll lose the habilities to use any kind of homebrew (for now). Wich is lame, since you won't be needing your DVD drive for now (see item 4). You also won't be able to use fakesigning anymore (trucha bug, wads and stuff).

2. There have been updates, at least until Super Smash Brothers Brawl. 1.9s is the latest version (I GUESS... I'm not into wiikey...)

4. Loaders are apps (homebrews) that allow you to play backups without a modchip. The latest USB loader lets you play ISOs directly from a USB drive.

Good luck!
Thanks for the quick reply! I've been browsing the forum and reading up on new stuff, but I don't have a lot of time to digest all the new info all at once.

Just to be clear about number one. If I were to use the Twilight Hack and install the Homebrew Channel and then update, to the newest firmware, would I be able to still use the Homebrew Channel and my WiiKey? Or if I update with the Homebrew Channel it disables it anyways? As it seems that you can only install the Homebrew Channel with a certain firmware version.

QUOTE(mousex @ Mar 31 2009, 07:30 PM) What's wrong with these threads?
Sticky: NOOB PARADISE - ask away
Sticky: Wii Loaders Issues and Answers :
Sticky: * * * READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION * * *
Sticky: * * * A List of Guides That WILL Help Newbies * * *

I apologize. I only started looking for info myself after I started this topic. I know I kinda jumped the gun this time after I saw that some of the stuff was right in front of me.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Da Foxx said:
I've been browsing the forum and reading up on new stuff, but I don't have a lot of time to digest all the new info all at once.

Stop being lazy and make the time. You are about the 4th person in as many days to create a similar thread.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you update to 4.0 if you already have the HBC, the HBC will not be deleted or blocked
But! It is impossible to install the HBC if you are already on 4.0
Also, its advised installing cIOS36 (latest version) so the wad manager can work on 4.0 too (this app is used to install many things, so you'd better be able to use it)

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Da Foxx said:
--JoCa-- said:

Good luck!
Thanks for the quick reply! I've been browsing the forum and reading up on new stuff, but I don't have a lot of time to digest all the new info all at once.

Just to be clear about number one. If I were to use the Twilight Hack and install the Homebrew Channel and then update, to the newest firmware, would I be able to still use the Homebrew Channel and my WiiKey? Or if I update with the Homebrew Channel it disables it anyways? As it seems that you can only install the Homebrew Channel with a certain firmware version.

You can install HBC and update, but then you would still lose the fakesigning and stuff. There's a way to update safely, keeping all the *perks* of FW3.2, you should search it, for I don't remember the post. FW 4.0 has a neat SD card menu, and that's it. Nothing really WORTHY. If you don't like it, you could always downgrade to 3.2 again IF YOU INSTALLED THE UPDATE USING THE ALTERNATIVE WAY! NINTENDO BLOCKS THIS OPTION IF YOU UPDATE NORMALLY

Da Foxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mcj said:
Da Foxx said:
I've been browsing the forum and reading up on new stuff, but I don't have a lot of time to digest all the new info all at once.

Stop being lazy and make the time. You are about the 4th person in as many days to create a similar thread.

I apologize again. I jumped the gun on this one. Thanks tj_cool for that info!

I seem to have a problem! I've just setup my Wii after a moved and it seems to not want to turn on! I get a green light but nothing on the screen! I'm positive that I have it plugged in right.

--JoCa-- said:
Da Foxx said:
QUOTE(--JoCa-- @ Mar 31 2009, 07:26 PM)

Good luck!

You can install HBC and update, but then you would still lose the fakesigning and stuff. There's a way to update safely, keeping all the *perks* of FW3.2, you should search it, for I don't remember the post. FW 4.0 has a neat SD card menu, and that's it. Nothing really WORTHY. If you don't like it, you could always downgrade to 3.2 again IF YOU INSTALLED THE UPDATE USING THE ALTERNATIVE WAY! NINTENDO BLOCKS THIS OPTION IF YOU UPDATE NORMALLY

Okay! Thanks for the heads up!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Da Foxx said:

I seem to have a problem! I've just setup my Wii after a moved and it seems to not want to turn on! I get a green light but nothing on the screen! I'm positive that I have it plugged in right.
So, wait...
You unplugged it, then moved it and plugged it back in, right
And then you get nothing when you turn it on? Not even text on the screen?
Follow this first: http://savemii.net/troubleshooting.html maybe you'll know what you have then

Da Foxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
Da Foxx said:

So, wait...
You unplugged it, then moved it and plugged it back in, right
And then you get nothing when you turn it on? Not even text on the screen?
Follow this first: http://savemii.net/troubleshooting.html maybe you'll know what you have then
Yeah I got the black screen with nothing on it. :S I'm going to see if I can find a solution without having to have to purchase SaveMii. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please reply!

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hmm... since he hasnt been messing with cIOS and all the other softmodding stuff how come you think that one of those may be the problem?

you know what... never mind, now i think about it unplugging the wii by mains could do something, but i guess only if its updating or installing something...

Da Foxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mikeyt1998 said:
hmm... since he hasnt been messing with cIOS and all the other softmodding stuff how come you think that one of those may be the problem?

you know what... never mind, now i think about it unplugging the wii by mains could do something, but i guess only if its updating or installing something...
Hmm... The last person I can remember using it was my little bro, who was always be excited to see the blue light when their was an update. Could it be that an update could have gone wrong when installing? The time I find I want to mess around with my Wii (its been two years now!) the darn thing doesn't work!

I can turn it on with the Wiimote but the mote does not sync with the console after.

Da Foxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
Then its most likely a broken bluetooth module
It cause black screen when broken and the wiimote cant sync (as it uses bluetooth to do that)
Anyway to fix that? Replacing the bluetooth module with another one? Can I send it into Nintendo and have them fix it even though I opened it up and my warranty is expired? Of course I'm going to have to take out the WiiKey. Does anyone know if Nintendo ever updates the Wii consoles you send in?

Hmm.. I think my best option is to order SaveMii. Thanks tj_cool for the website! And everyone who answered my questions! I'll be back later when I get my Wii working. Between that time I'll be on Xbox 360.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.