*long* 3DS shortcomings?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by nikkuchan, Jul 19, 2011.

Jul 19, 2011

*long* 3DS shortcomings? by nikkuchan at 6:07 AM (3,319 Views / 0 Likes) 48 replies

1. nikkuchan
    OP

Member nikkuchan GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I think the 3DS is a great system; I love it. However, I do wonder how well the system will do in comparison to their other hand-helds (Virtual Boy will be left out). Nintendo has had a very solid track record concerning portable gaming, and they've kept a grip on it for decades. The 3DS, in my opinion, is a good next step Nintendo, but the system has a lot of shortcomings, a lot of which are related to what it is: a 3D DS. Of course, the system had to be a DS; after giving everybody a 2nd touch screen, it would be strange to make a new system with only 1 screen. The DS was upgraded with more power and a 3D screen. This was logical. Most people would have probably been fine with just a more powerful DS, so the 3D made it even better for gamers excited to play a new DS. But that very 3D also was a bit problematic: it was (relatively) new, and scary.

The DS was a nearly perfect system. It was a system for everybody. In addition to gaming, the system had a variety of puzzle games, brain training software, educational software, study aids, book readers, and health programs. The DS attracted the attention of people of all ages. The touch screen made it easy for people who were unfamiliar with games. Also, having a touch screen increased the possibilities of what could be done with a game. We saw new, innovative control styles and games, and both hardcore and casual gamers were excited to play a lot of these games. Now, looking at the 3DS, it is a lot more intimidating compared to its predecessor. It's not as accessible. It's no longer the system that you can train your brain on, or read a book, it's the system that was rumored to cause eye problems (this is, unfortunately, a stain that will probably not go away any time soon). To skeptical people, and many hardcore gamers, the 3D is little more than a cheap gimmick. So, the 3DS is already on a shaky middle-ground where it's too “hardcore” (or even dangerous) to many casual and non-gamers, and too “gimmicky” to many hardcore gamers.

Also, while 3D is a great draw, it's not much compared to the introduction of a touch screen. The touch screen changed things. An entire game could be built around the touch screen. A game cannot be built around 3D. There's nothing that can be done in 3D that can't be done without it (at least as far as I can imagine at them moment), so while I don't want to go so far as to say it's a gimmick, the 3D isn't much more than an expensive bonus. In addition to this, the 3D also hurts an addition that could potentially be great. The 3DS has pretty nice gyroscope controls that allow for motion control, but having motion controls on a system that requires it to be stationary to be properly viewed seems contradictory (though I'm confident Nintendo will find a great use for it).

This brings me to another point: Please forgive me for my lack of understanding, but from what I understand, displaying 3D requires things to be rendered twice, which drops frame rates, and could potentially limit what can be done on the system. What if someone wanted to really push the system, and opted to make a non-3D game in order to get the best performance/graphics/speed/whatever out of the system? What if, for any reason, someone wanted to make a non-3D game? Would people care? Would people just ignore it, thinking “why would I get a 3DS game that isn't in 3D?” I really hope the system and the developers don't get tied down to the 3D, where all games just HAVE to be in 3D.

2. HateBreed

Member HateBreed GBAtemp Regular

United States
    theres also the fact that the 3ds's game library is filled with 80% ports and remakes..

3. nikkuchan
    OP

Japan
    It's kind of hard to blame a game library when it's still in its infancy. The original DS library wasn't too spectacular either at first. I bought my DS day one and after a couple weeks, it was untouched for year because there were no games that interested me.

4. Demonstryde

Member Demonstryde GBAtemp Fan

United States
    as an owner of a 3ds i can say that the 3d is an added benefit of a nicely powered system... it has much more to offer than just content in 3d....just got done watching around 13 hours of netflix since it got released and i cant wait to play an fps game... as for motion controls i don't know anyone who can aim their gun behind them without turning their body!!!!! motion does not disturb the 3d effect unless you choose to not swivle at least a little bit... once a cod game gets dropped with full motion controls (like wii zapper aiming) there will be no reason for a hardcore gamer to buy this incredible system.

5. HateBreed

United States
    yes but the ds was experimental. they weren't sure if it would catch on thats why they left in the gba slot.. just in case the ds never caught on.its 2011 and the 3ds had so much hype they could at least have two or the decent games out but what do we get.. ports remakes and.. rayman.. wtf why rayman..

6. Demonstryde

United States
    lol . . really gotta use percent when its only got about 10 games.....lmao....if you arent satisfied with oot3d , re:mercenaries and netflix at the moment , considering its still almost a brand new system, and it hasent even hit the holiday season yet....hahaha(goes back to watching netflix)

7. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wait till platformers/shooters start really taking advantage of 3d, the depth perception will affect gameplay.

8. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    You can't say that for sure, the 3DS is still in it's early stage.

Personally I've also learnt my lesson (when I was a Nintendo fanboy) saying that 'Vita ain't got game' when only a pre E3 video was released

9. HateBreed

United States
    i said that because the games that have been announced a lot are remakes or ports like star fox and metal gear.. So yea.. and the 3d is crap.. it gives people headache and looks nothing like the realD 3d from the movies it just looks like 2 screens that cause your eyes to shift and lose focus

10. nikkuchan
    OP

Japan
    That's exactly why I love the 3DS. I wasn't expecting any more than a more powerful DS, and the 3D is a great bonus. I've gotten use to using the motion controls, even though swiveling my body back and forth playing Star Fox makes me look like I have a condition. I'm not an FPS player, but I can't wait to see one on the 3DS. Oh, and F Zero. It's about time we got another of those.

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    The 3DS's 3D is real 3D, but used in another way. How much would you expect popping you 3D in cinemas help in gaming? At least aquarium 3D gives it the depth and detail

12. nikkuchan
    OP

Japan
    I loved the original Tomb Raider, and I thought a game like that would be amazing in 3D. I always had to judge my jumps, and actually being able to see the distance would be very desirable.

13. Demonstryde

United States
    @hatebreed.... your opinion is extremely one sided??? i expect you dont even own a handheld gamming device... prob xbox fanboy... stop me if im wrong

14. punkyrule

Member punkyrule GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
  15. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think next year will be make or break for the 3ds. I have no doubt that it will be successful though as all the games we're waiting for are not out until thhe end of this year or next. Contrary to your argument, I think a game can be built around 3d. One game that comes to mind is super paper mario, where the depth slider could be used to go between 3d and 2d modes like in the Wii game on the fly, or a game like labyrinth/marble madness that might rely on the depth to etter judge distances. Of course any game can be done fine in 2d, but you get the extra immersion in a game cleverly designed around the 3d. It's like the difference between playing space invaders extreme on the DS with or without the paddle.

16. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I never play with the 3D on, to keep it in the "sweet spot" is a huge pain, especially when there's motion controls, and you need to turn the screen out of your "sweet spot", causing ghosting etc.
    Also remaining in your sweet spot forces you to play in an awkward and unnatural position which annoys me, because a portable game system is meant to be played anywhere without problems, whilst utilising its full features.

I can't lie down with my 3DS and play, it's too awkward. You have to sit mechanically every session in the same position, the comfort factor is gone.
    The only time i have 3D on is during a cut scene and even there it's extremely uncomfortable.

Therefore the 3D was a HUGE gimmick. I don't see myself playing ANY game with the 3D always turned on.

17. Demonstryde

United States
    great for you... now that you hate your 3ds lets see you play a game with better graphics on a regular ds......its not about the 3d...though 3d is amazing, its the whole system...people need to stop saying its a glorified ds as it is far superior.

18. nikkuchan
    OP

Japan
    I sincerely think that incorporating the 3D slider as a game mechanic is a bad idea. That's like asking someone to adjust the color on their TV every time they want to switch modes.

19. Demonstryde

United States
    not quite... as the slider is less than an inch from your finger, and doesnt require you to get up or go through a menu..... next point?

20. nikkuchan
    OP

Japan
    I really dislike the term "sweet spot," but anyway, the proper viewing angle to see 3D is not difficult to find. it can be played in any position as long as you keep it at a good angle and distance from your face. Unless you're playing with the system 2 inches away from your face, playing in 3D is not a debilitating experience.

If you're having that much trouble with it, maybe you should get your eyes checked.