FIXED Logged under another user

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by OutVolt, Sep 6, 2018.

1. OutVolt
    OP

OutVolt Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2008
    United States
    Hidding in the Shaodws
    I went to this site and got an error about shout box and the theme was black. Don't know how but I was logged in as a different user.

Attached Files:

CuriousTommy and Scarlet like this.
  2. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    We're aware of this issue and are already investigating. Thanks for the report however!

3. Enkuler

Enkuler Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2017
    France
    I was lurking, offline, and suddenly I got that. Except, you know, what the title says. When I logged in (which was "hard" since the login button was not there lol, so I clicked on a random thing in that menu which prompted me to log in) I had my normal account though.

Capture d’écran de 2018-09-18 08-32-11.

4. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    It's a known issue and is due to our caching system. You wouldn't be able to view the user's personal details, conversations etc. however.

5. Enkuler

Enkuler Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2017
    France
  6. PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun The Uninspired Artist

GBAtemp Patron
    PanTheFaun is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    I was using one of my computers today and a user by the name of NinjiStix was logged onto gbatemp from my computer? I'm a little weirded out right now and I have no idea how this could happen.
    Any clue???

7. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    It's a glitch

8. PanTheFaun

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    I hope so...

9. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
  10. PanTheFaun

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
  11. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    A week or two ago I got a PM from someone that said they VPN'd with Opera (based on Chromium) and somehow got logged into my account with a screencapture to prove it. I have 2FA on my account and have a random generated PW, but ended up wiping my computer anyway (due to another security incident I had the day before which was coincidence).

Anyway, I'm also noticing that I'm having trouble logging in with Chrome, and after getting logged in a bit ago tonight I opened a few tabs, but found that instead of being logged into my account I was logged into a level 2 members account instead. I forget whose account it was, but I doubt that matters. I can clear my cache and get logged in with Chrome, but I get booted again if I open a new tab or click a link.

Edge browser seems to be working just fine as a workaround for me, but this is definitely a security issue and could cause some malicious behavior and I wanted to let someone know.

12. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    The issue is purely visual, and has already been brought up here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/logged-under-another-user.517311/

They have no access to any of your PMs or anything like that, there's nothing to be worried about.

Edit: As a side note, I also had the bug where I thought I was logged in as you. It caught me off guard to see TempStyle Dark lol. Tried sending a message in the Shoutbox to test if I had access to anything and it denied me, saying I needed to log on.

Maximilious and Seriel like this.
  13. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It's due to something new with the site which makes it easier on the server. Not sure if there's a fix, but nothing bad can happen regarding it, like access to info or posting as another user.

14. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    at first it was not happening but now it seems to be happening more and more.

you aren't actually logged in as someone else's account, but you're getting a cached page that was generated by another user, it goes away when you browse.

since it's happening more and more we will probably have to disable that thing and find another way to enable caching

JiveTheTurkey likes this.
  15. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    That bug just creeped me out.
    BigJokkerGBATemp. BigJokkerGBATempSmall.

On the other hand... now knowing that this is purely visual I hope for someone to get my profile showing up... probably getting creeped out just as much.

Last edited by Axido, Sep 22, 2018
  16. Maximilious

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    That's the user I was logged in as. On another note - I can't use Chrome at all. Totally unusable as after I log in successfully, any new tab or link I open just shows me as logged out. Pretty frustrating, and not sure why but my account seems to be pretty impacted by this (and BigJokker I assume too). Guess I have to use Edge for now (bleh).

17. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    do you have cookies disabled ? via an extension or a setting or anything
    if you do, that completely explains all this thread.

the caching system basically enables itself for users that do not have cookies set in their browser (ie. guests. because all guests see the same content)
    if somehow you use an extension that prevents cookies from working, then you wont be able to stay logged in, and some caching issues can occur

Last edited by Costello, Sep 22, 2018
  18. Maximilious

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    I don't have cookie's disabled, but I don't accept the prompt to allow GBATemp to send my browser notifications, which would explain the behavior. I typically have your site up at work and don't want things to pop up on me unexpectedly.

19. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I have that turned off too, and I've never had any problems

20. Maximilious

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Is your Chrome up to date? I can replicate the behavior or two different computers (personal and work) on the latest Chrome browser. Today seems to be fine though so they may have changed something on the back end already.