Loading Titles via MicroSD to USB adapter (I found one)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jackharvest, Aug 21, 2016.

1. jackharvest
    OP

jackharvest Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2009
    United States
    Ok, so, this is strictly hypothetical until someone forks out the ungodly amount of money for it, but here's something someone invented several years ago:

[​IMG]
    http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm

It's a microSD to USB A adapter. The original intent was something like this:
    [​IMG]

GOOD NEWS:
    It officially supports MicroSD to SD card adapters, thus, could work for the Wii U.

BAD NEWS:
    It claims to be "compatible to the latest SD standard" which at the time was SDHC, capping at 32GB.

So, the question is... is it SDHC compatible due to what is under that white hood, or is it SDHC compatible because SDXC wasn't available at the time?

I'm thinking it puts out a LITTLE power, cause it would have to light up some flash storage with it. If I had a Y-Connecting Hard Drive Caddy (for double juice intake, one from SD slot, the other from a front USB port or something) then I MAY be able to achieve these backups to be loaded via a 256 solid state drive.

[​IMG]

Who wants to go first? Heh.

2. Wiiunator

Wiiunator GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2015
    Unfortunately this will be slower than loading from sd because sd card use a different data protocol for transferring data. The device shown here use a chip to convert from sd to usb and the overhead of that process will make your Ssd as slow as a snail... We've discussed this in the thread "sd speed comparison" look for it.

Derverd likes this.
  3. Derverd

Derverd GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    Mars?
    Not only would this be slow, it would also have the same limitations as the current loadiine. IOSU isn't just usb access.

4. jackharvest
    OP

jackharvest Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2009
    United States
    Shame. Good to know that the formats for SD and USB Flash are very different. If it was a direct cross and just needed adapters on metal channels, that would have been awesome.

Thanks for the info! I will start waiting for a good 256 SD card deal.

5. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Someone bought one already and it's slow as hell, and it also won't recognize drives above 32GB

6. jackharvest
    OP

jackharvest Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2009
    United States
  7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Last edited by Kafluke, Aug 21, 2016