Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I am looking for an anti-virus made to RUN on Ubuntu. Some of you will say Linux does not need anti-virus, not that's not what I mean. I want an anti-virus that detects windows viruses on an HDD but runs in Linux. Does such software exist?

b4nn3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read a thread about a similiar problem. If I remember, there isn't one that is updated regularly. Try to use WINE or something.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
You use Ubuntu, huh?
1) AVG has a free version of their anti-virus, same as their Windows one, with GUI and all, on their website.
2) There is ClamAV, which is a great backend for an anti-virus, and there are is a GUI for it on Ubuntu (although I forgot the name.. Want me to look it up? )

There are also a few other ones I don't know about :/

Hope this helped!

Nomearod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since you are using Ubuntu:

Synaptic -> Search -> Clamav

There you can find the program (ClamAV) and GUIs (Graphic user interface) like KClamAV or ClamTK.

I have never used any of them but it's not that hard to try and uninstall e if don't like =)

BTW, Linux rules
wink.gif

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
People READ first before you post:
QUOTE said:
I am looking for an anti-virus made to RUN on Ubuntu.
He's interested in an anti-virus app running on Linux natively not some windows bullshit you run in wine or dual-boot or anything else like that.

ClamAV is your best bet there as mentioned. It's the best known virus scanner for linux. It's used on mail servers to filter incoming mails or samba to check files before they are handed out to a windows client. It's a backend though and runs only in the console. As mentioned a frontend is required to work with a GUI. As mentioned KClamAV or ClamTK does the job ( I would opt for KClamAV since it uses KDE instead of ClamTK using Tcl ).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ