Linksys isn't working for some reason.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jakob95, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jakob95
    OP

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    It always worked but it isn't now for some reason. My internet works just fine when I connect my modem straight into the computer. When I connect it though my wireless router on the computer it can't connect to the server ever. The wireless router is connected to the computer with a wire. I also tried with Wifi with my iPod touch and it can connect to my Wifi but can't go on any websites.

2. Jakob95
    OP

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    It just started working again after I turned it off and on a million times.

3. Jakob95
    OP

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    Well again it started not to work. I turned on my computer and it said I had either no connection or limited connection. I had to turn off the router and modem and then turn both back on for it to work. Any reason this is happening?

4. Gnargle

Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

Jul 29, 2008
    England
    1. Edit your posts, you don't need to triple post.
    2. Linksys are shitty like that, mine's the same.

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The same can be said for every router manufacturer (Belkin, DLink, Linksys, etc). Finding the good ones is hard.

6. PeregrinFig

PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    Michigan
    Yeah, it sounds like your only real solution is to get a new router. I use a 2Wire, and it works pretty well. The connection drops every rare once in a while (it happens maybe once a month), and resetting the router fixes it.

7. Jakob95
    OP

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    But this has never happened to me. I had this router for a year already and none of this ever happened. It started happening to me 2 days ago.

8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Then maybe it's not the router but the ISP that's having problems.

9. kylehaas

kylehaas GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2008
    United States
    A similar thing happened to me not so long ago.
    Turned out the problem was that I had it configured "wrong" all along.
    That being said, I had originally followed a guide online.

Just a few questions...
    Have you looked over the configuration screens for both the router and the modem?
    If so, have you made sure that the modem is set as a bridge? This is very important.
    If you're sure that the modem is set as a bridge, make sure all your ISP info is filled in on the router's setup config.
    If you're not sure what values to use there, write them down or do a screen cap from your modem's setup.

Hope this helps.
    No guides online are perfect and ALL routers, regardless of brand, speed, etc, will require some tuning to make them perfect.

Good luck.

10. Jakob95
    OP

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    I don't think its set at bridge. I am not really sure how to do any of this stuff. Any help on teamviewer or something? So far my linksys is working.

11. kylehaas

kylehaas GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2008
    United States
    I wish I could help more, but routers and modems vary greatly from one another.
    I'll guide you some of the way, but I need you to answer some questions...

First, who is your ISP ? (Bellsouth, ATT, insight, etc.)
    Second what are your router and modem types... (ex. wrt3100 linkysys or bellsouth motorolla)
    Lastly, are the firmwares on both devices fully updated? Usually some sort of update application is preinstalled on the modem, but on the router you may have to check the version and compare it to what is available on Linksys' website.

12. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Remove the router and connect straight to the model (after power-cycling it), see if the connection still drops. If so, it's the ISP/Modem.

13. Bunie

Bunie #1 Princess

Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    Pleasureville, KY
    if using encryption such as WEP or WPA, try disabling it. if it is disabled, reset your modem to factory settings and turn it on.

Two things that come to mind for me are:
    1)Encryption problems. I have a Belkin N Router, and it doesn't always play nice when using WPA.
    2)A Neighbor is messing with you.

14. DeadlyAnGeL91792

DeadlyAnGeL91792 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    United States
    The Usa
    If you have the right model you should think about some cfw for the router it give a HUGE performance boost.