Life Without Cords...

Life without Cords, The PSP Story

The Story

Awhile back, There lived a PSP 1001. His friends liked to call him "Phats."
Phats was a brave, phat, little device... battling graphics intensive games like God of War, Gran Turismo, and even GTA, All without one scratch on his aging UMD drive. But something bad happened. Phats' USB cord was stolen! Sadly, Phats' owner was not able to obtain a USB for quite some time...

Meanwhile, Phats was groaning deep within his 1g Circuitry...
frown.gif
"Oh No, What am I going to do? Whats a PSP who can't provide the pure awesomeness of new ISO's, emulators, and Homebrew? I am doomed to the brick pile I tell you!" said Phats later to his younger brothers, Slim and Brite.( Go was still in R&D, I'll let your parents explain that to you ) "How about you just use my USB?" said Brite. "No, I'm afraid your USB just doesn't fit me very well" Phats groaned...

Two days later... Tyler's friend drops by for some ad-hoc Fire Team Bravo 2

"So I heard you're PSP's USB cord was stolen... I guess you havn't been able to try out Daedalusx64 rev 600! I heard Super Mario 64 gained half a frame! "No, I have not and it sucks!" yelled Tyler who wasn't to happy about about the situation. "Well, you do know that A USB cord isn't required to transfer Homebrew and the likes... Don't you?" asked Tyler's friend. "No? I did not!, please tell me how!" pleaded Tyler. His friend replied "Well lets finish this CTF match and we shall get started"

Hello! Welcome to my entry for Gbatemp's Tutorial Competition
smile.gif
In this tutorial you will learn how to quickly download and install the latest Homebrew and the likes to your PSP without being tied to a PC. (A PC will sadly be required for the first part of this tutorial though)

Supplies
Your PSP (Duh)
A USB cord (Duh x2)
The latest releases of PSP Filer (6.6)
A Wifi Connection.
A PC with an internet connection

The How To

Step One: Install Xplora and PSP Filer onto your PSP.

Download PSP filer by clicking on the following Link. PSP Filer 6.6 A good place to download it to is a folder named "PSP Applications" on your Desktop. Extract the zip files using the wizard that comes with your Computer or with 7zip/Winrar. Copy and paste the folder containing the EBOOT.PBP file inside the GAME directory on your PSP. The GAME Directory is found directly after clicking on "PSP".

Step Two: Startup your PSP internet browser and download the desired homebrew.

We will use dl.qj.net for this tutorial. Note: Any website that appears to download the file correctly will work.
Point you're browser towards "dl.qj.net"... Use the Search bar to find a particular homebrew. Lets search for Daedalusx64 beta 3 update" (I will provide a direct link to the results) Now select the latest version of Daedalus,click download, and you should now see a page that looks like this. Click here to download

PSP.jpg

Hover the mouse over the download link if the Download prompt doesn't automatically show up. Now press the Triangle button. and go over to "File" and than select "Save target link as". make sure the file name ends with .zip/.rar or the file will probably just be a very small html file. Save the file in the COMMON folder for the sake of neatness.

Step three: Extracting and installing.

First off, lets open up PSP Filer. After selecting your language you should see a screen like this.

UCJS10041-Shot-0.png

Step Four: Navigating

Now go down and select these folders with the O button, PSP>COMMON

UCJS10041-Shot-1.png

Step Five: More Navigating and a few button clicks

You should see the Daedalus .rar file you downloaded earlier. highlight it and press X. Now press O

UCJS10041-Shot-2.png

Step Six: Press that O button like your life depended on it!

Press the O button over the PSP and GAME Folder.

UCJS10041-Shot-3.png

Step Seven: Extract Baby Extract!

Press the R button and a progress window should come up

UCJS10041-Shot-4.png

Step Eight: Making sure it was done correctly

The contents of the .RAR file should be extracted to the game folder. Navigate back to the game Folder and look for a folder with the name Daedalusxxxx. Open the Folder to make sure its not just a folder inside of a folder. if it is a folder inside of a folder, open the folders until there is one with a EBOOT.PBP File inside of it. Once you do that, highlight the folder containing the EBOOT and follow steps 5 through 7, but pressing the square button instead of the R button. You can now go back and delete the .RAR file inside of the COMMON folder and the extra Daedalus folder inside of GAME (The one that was a series of folders until you got to the EBOOT.PBP)

Step Nine: Enjoying the 'brew

Exit PSP Filer with the HOME button and proceed to the GAME folder in the XMB. The Homebrew that you copied over should now appear and be ready to launch. Enjoy!

This method can just about be applied to any Homebrew. So start downloading and enjoying that 'brew without being tied to a computer!

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you add the "homebrew store" option to your tute? it automatically puts PSP apps into the correct directory, and you can even download it WITHOUT a PC whatsoever. It has most popular emus and apps.

http://gbatemp.net/t292394-homebrew-store-2-5-released

You can download HomebrewStore direct to your PSP by going to http://bit.ly/hbstore in your PSP web browser. Or visit the same URL on your PC to grab it and future updates.

Quietlyawesome94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Why don't you add the "homebrew store" option to your tute? it automatically puts PSP apps into the correct directory, and you can even download it WITHOUT a PC whatsoever. It has most popular emus and apps.

http://gbatemp.net/t292394-homebrew-store-2-5-released

I chose not to include apps because they are not notorious for not being updated. I'll look into it.

bdacanay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually found this tutorial quite useful. I recently hacked my PSP slim using a friends already hacked PSP, but I ran into problems when installing homebrew because I do not own a home computer. Because I don't have a PC, I felt like I couldn't use my CFW to it's full potential. I went to the local public library this past weekend and installed PSPFiler 6.6 onto my handheld, and it was the best thing that I could have done. Now I don't have to worry about extracting files and moving them to the appropriate directories because I can do it all conveniently on my PSP.

I would like to personally thank Quietlyawesome94 for making my experience on PSP so much better. I feel like I can finally Live Without Cords. This was an awesome tutorial, kid. I finally feel like a man again.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I figured this out by accident years ago.
tongue.gif
Have been using PSPFiler to extract stuff I download ont he PSP browser since I don't know when. Thanks for the tip though; I know TONS of people who had no idea it could extract .zip and .rar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153