MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think A9LH would have even been possible at all had efuses been in the 3DS, possibly B9S too, at least as far as running software past a certain FW you're not on.

It's going to take a long long time to see software post 3.0.1 run on a 3.0.0 unit as far as I'm aware and could very well never happen.

Anyone looking for backup loaders for new games on 3.0.0 are in for just as rocky road as 3.0.1+ looking for homebrew I reckon. But I'm by no means an authority on the situation.
Yeah, I see this as just another divided PS3 fiasco, where the "golden" firmware is your target, and any firmware past it is unhackable.

WiiFoundLove

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Are you using my instructions? For me, the "/aarch64-none-elf/lib" is included from extracting the devkitA64 .7z file in step 1.
Tried it. Doesn't work for me for any reason. Maybe cause i use Linux Subsystem on Windows? I see the following message a few times:
/home/Me/devkitpro/devkitA64/bin/../lib/gcc/aarch64-none-elf/7.2.0/../../../../aarch64-none-elf/bin/ar: /home/Me/devkitpro/devkitA64/bin/../libexec/gcc/aarch64-none-elf/7.2.0/liblto_plugin.so: file too short
And when it try to compile the example i get:
/home/Me/devkitpro/devkitA64/bin/../lib/gcc/aarch64-none-elf/7.2.0/../../../../aarch64-none-elf/bin/ld: /home/Me/devkitpro/devkitA64/bin/../libexec/gcc/aarch64-none-elf/7.2.0/liblto_plugin.so: error loading plugin: /home/Me/devkitpro/devkitA64/bin/../libexec/gcc/aarch64-none-elf/7.2.0/liblto_plugin.so: file too short
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
/home/Me/devkitpro/devkitA64/switch_rules:26: recipe for the target „/home/Me/switch-examples/templates/simple/simple.elf“ failed
make[1]: *** [/home/Me/switch-examples/templates/simple/simple.elf] Error 1
Makefile:103: recipe for the target „build“ failed
make: *** [build] Error 2

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say pirating will soon be the demise of the Switch. Let's hope not though

Pirating what? The handful of complaint games?

*cough* Wii U IOSU *cough* this is just like that *cough*

I don't think this is the same at all. New software will not be accessible due to the changes in encryption and inability to dump/decrypt without further exploits on higher firmware versions. You can do it for old software that is compliant since you have Switch access to the files directly, sure, but how will you get anything that cannot be accessed under 3.0.1? This also begs the question on how far we can take custom firmware on this device vs. its protections.

Last edited by V-Temp,

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Tried it. Doesn't work for me for any reason. Maybe cause i use Linux Subsystem on Windows? I see the following message a few times:

It might be because of that, I'm not sure what that error means, but .so are linux shared object files.

I wrote my instructions on a Fedora machine, but I just ran through the setup on a new Pureos machine and was able to build the .nso and .pfs0 files. Pureos is very similar to Ubuntu, so it should work on that as well. The only caveat I noticed going through it was that the DevkitA64 link was listed as "alpha3" now, but it still worked.

To get lz4 and git on it, I needed to run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install liblz4-dev git

Last edited by vgmoose,

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
BULLSHIT mate that's what it's always about! no one gives a rats ass about actual homebrew. all people care about is can't wait to play ma pirated gaems :rofl:
I care about homebrew. I care about modded game (uncensored, undubbed), custom theme, web browser, emulators, all the things.
Just because you don't care about homebrew and only care about piracy doesn't mean everybody's the same, so please don't push your opinion on everyone.

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how I can get an nso file to work with CageTheUnicorn? I have it set up on Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how to use it.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that homebrew is an important part of owning a console, personally. Sometimes a good scene (or the start of one) is why I buy a console in the first place. Certainly true of the Wii U and Vita.

Because it always comes down to wanting to do things the console is capable of - some of it hidden away by the people who developed it - but not being able to. In my case the main use always seems to come back to emulating old games consoles so you can combine new/current titles on that platform with the retro favourites, so for example I have Sonic Mania which made me want to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles (I was hoping it might be an easter egg actually) but there's no way for me to do that on the Switch currently so I had to dust off my firmware 3.60 Vita, bung an updated copy of RetroArch on there and play that way because surprise surprise there's no Virtual Console service on the Switch, nor does it look like we're getting one for a while. And even when we get one it's nearly guaranteed that some titles will never reach it due to whatever copyright nonsense stops it. I don't see why original games I own/owned legit copies of on original platforms like the SNES/Genesis shouldn't be possible on the Switch.

And yes we all know about the awesome little browser exploit that allowed YouTube until 3.0.0 dropped and cheated us out of our fun.

I want the Switch to be more than it is. I own a load of retail games on it, I don't think it's too much to ask to get classic game emulation, basic browser support and Netflix/YouTube/Amazon Video apps on it. The not-so-popular Wii U has all that, granted it's been out a while so it makes sense that it would, but that's a console which sold less than 14 million in the nearly 5 years it was on the market. The Switch has sold nearly 5 million based on 3 month old figures from Wikipedia, so it's not hard to speculate it's closer to 7 or 8 million now. And that's been on the market a mere 7 months. So there's impetus both for Nintendo to bring it up to speed, make it more useful to garner more sales and user satisfaction, and for any hackers looking to get quality homebrews on the thing. Not too much to ask... in my case I've spent about £750 for all the games, two sets of Joy-Cons, carry case etc, that'll probably hit four figures spent by the end of the year after we consider FIFA 18, Super Mario Odyssey & Skyrim. Whereas the Wii U I've spent about £250 on does way more, still, than the Switch does.

So yeah. THAT'S my refutation for anyone who questions the point of homebrew or insists it's only for "teh piracyz" or whatever. I just want more value for money, and to build a huge library of games so the Switch realises it's full potential. I don't care about copyright laws for 20+ year old games I enjoyed as a kid and like to revisit now from time to time that I already paid for, I just want them on my Switch because there's no legal paid way to do it yet and probably won't be for a while. I don't see that as piracy at all, personally. I see it as Fair Use.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know how I can get an nso file to work with CageTheUnicorn? I have it set up on Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how to use it.

For what purpose? If you are confused about how to do it then maybe using CTU is above your skillset. CTU is not an emulator for the end user. It is for devs only

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
th
I hope it takes until the end of the Switch to run Switch "backups".
But I hope that homebrew will work just like RetroArch or using other controllers. That would be great and I'd totally buy a Switch in a sec.

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country

You could always try using the windows binaries ...

fwiw, that sort of error is pretty much always caused by extracting with some dodgy GUI archive tool.

Last edited by realWinterMute,

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using my instructions? For me, the "/aarch64-none-elf/lib" is included from extracting the devkitA64 .7z file in step 1.

Please don't make instructions yet. I'm seeing excessive downloads on alpha3 when alpha4 is needed for current libnx. Somebody has already messed up and linked directly to specific releases, was it you?

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Please don't make instructions yet. I'm seeing excessive downloads on alpha3 when alpha4 is needed for current libnx. Somebody has already messed up and linked directly to specific releases, was it you?
I've only ever linked to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/files/devkitA64/ Is this alright?

My "instructions" are here: https://gist.github.com/vgmoose/8844a812c4bf50889e3f2b65359a6930 It's really just more of a reference for people interested but unfamiliar with devkit... I'd rather not take them down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F