Hacking Let's see how unsoftmoddable the new Wiis are

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wrote a cIOS installer that only changes IOS36 dip and leaves everything else from IOS36 unchanged*:
http://rapidshare.com/files/214481421/uswtest1.zip.html

I think the problem is either a trucha signed IOS at all, or it's something else that's patched into the cIOS(to get more rights than you should have), so i think it's worth a try.

Requirements:
- some experience with softmodding
- a backup to test
- IOS16 installed(v257, not the one from 4.0!!!)
- sd card
- common-key.bin in the root of the sd card
- IOS36-64-v1042.wad in /IOS/ on the sd card

So if you have a IOS249 already, you can't install this as IOS249. In fact you can't overwrite or delete anything for now, so select a free IOS slot.

*That will be good enough to play backups, even trucha signed ones.
PS: I added SoftChip to the package as it's the only loader you can use with this if it works(except you didn't have a cIOS installed before...)

shallowater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
I wrote a cIOS installer that only changes IOS36 dip and leaves everything else from IOS36 unchanged*:
http://rapidshare.com/files/214291383/uswtest1.zip.html

I think the problem is either a trucha signed IOS at all, or it's something else that's patched into the cIOS(to get more rights than you should have), so i think it's worth a try.

Requirements:
- some experience with softmodding
- a backup to test
- IOS16 installed(v257, not the one from 4.0!!!)
- sd card
- common-key.bin in the root of the sd card
- IOS36-64-v1042.wad in /IOS/ on the sd card

So if you have a IOS249 already, you can't install this as IOS249. In fact you can't overwrite or delete anything for now, so select a free IOS slot.

Could you please give more details as how to use the files you provided? Or where I can find instruction? Specifically, what is the use of the folder "uii"?

Basically I put the folder "uii" and file common-key.bin in SD root, "SoftChipR87" in SD/apps directory, put the IOS36-64-v1042.wad in a new SD/IOS directory.

Then I try to load SoftChipR87/boot.bol from HBC, it seems to load OK, but then I press A to continue, it would load my original Wii Sport disk, but it does not load any back-up DVD-R disk. It shows:

Loading Game...
Execption: loctl error (D1_Read1D)

What could be the problem? The common-key.bin file I downloaded is only 16 bytes, does not seem right, could this be the problem? Or it is just the back-up disk I burned is simply not working?

Thanks!

*That will be good enough to play backups, even trucha signed ones.
PS: I added SoftChip to the package as it's the only loader you can use with this if it works(except you didn't have a cIOS installed before...)

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I said that one of the requirements is: "some experience with softmodding", so i thought it's clear to the testers that uii is the cIOS installer and that the testers would figure out themselves how to use it.

*Edit: Great 10 downloads already but no reports. Who downloads this for what purpose if it's not to test it on a "unsoftmoddable" wii?

gameshark

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
a few friends of mine are coming today to softmod their new wii.

if their is one of them not softmoddable 'we wil try your app.

shallowater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
I said that one of the requirements is: "some experience with softmodding", so i thought it's clear to the testers that uii is the cIOS installer and that the testers would figure out themselves how to use it.

*Edit: Great 10 downloads already but no reports. Who downloads this for what purpose if it's not to test it on a "unsoftmoddable" wii?

i guess most new Wii owner with the LU64* Wii would not have too much experience with softmodding...so it would be really helpful if you could provide some more instructions on how to use your new mod. After all, most of us only know how to load *dol and *wad files
unsure.gif
...oh well

So, if only you could give some info on the "uii is the cIOS installer and that the testers would figure out themselves how to use it.", we will really appreciate it.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So it doesn't work? It's confirmed now that the new Wiis block all trucha signed IOS? (or least these with the backup dip)

shallowater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
So it doesn't work? It's confirmed now that the new Wiis block all trucha signed IOS? (or least these with the backup dip)

it does not seem to work, but i am not sure. if OP or someone else could give some more details as to how this is supposed to work (if it works at all)....

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Install a cIOS with the installer to a slot different than IOS249. (Why not IOS248?) And then just test that with SoftChip and a backup from which you know that it works?

tasamy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to this. I have just bought my wii this week with lu64*. I installed hbc.

-Used Wad Manager 1.3 to install IOS16-64-v257.wad
-Used IOS16 to install 07-cIOS249-v7_waninkokoFULL-nw7.wad

When I run Backup Launcher 0.3gamma/Softchip I get a black screen and wii freezes.

Wad Manager 1.3 now freezes. When I try to run IOS16 I get error ret=-1.

Can you please give brief steps how to do the test and the file structure on the SD card?

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tasamy said:
I am new to this. I have just bought my wii this week with lu64*. I installed hbc.

-Used Wad Manager 1.3 to install IOS16-64-v257.wad
-Used IOS16 to install 07-cIOS249-v7_waninkokoFULL-nw7.wad

When I run Backup Launcher 0.3gamma/Softchip I get a black screen and wii freezes.

Can you please give brief steps how to set the file and the structure on the SD card?
install softmii. so btw, you're saying that you did softmod an unsoftmoddable wii?

tasamy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
acesniper said:
install softmii. so btw, you're saying that you did softmod an unsoftmoddable wii?

I was able to setup the two ISOs on my wii but could not run backup launcher or softchip (black screen). Now wad manager 1.3 does the same (black screen).

What I understand I need to use the uii dol and make it to install IOS36-64-v1042.wad. Then we run softchip and ask it to run from IOS248?

Is that correct?

OBI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tasamy said:
[...]
[...]

format your SD-Card (no microSD or SDHC) to FAT/FAT16 and retry these steps
lecture.gif

in fact i think softmii would not solve this problem!!!

@wiipower - falls mir mal eine unsoftmoddable Wii unter die Augen kommen sollte, dann halte ich dich natürlich auf dem Laufenden
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay