ROM Hack Learning to hack

Madara-Uchiha59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So basically, I have seen what some of the users on here can do and I'm really impressed at some of the hacks that have come out.

My reason for this post is that I have been inspired by the hacks on this site to the point where I have decided I'd like to start learning how to do it myself so that people may enjoy what creativity I may have to bring to the users here and more to the point, so that I may give something back.

So I would like to start by asking what I would need to start out with hacking games and to ask what sort of support this site has for those who would like to become first time hackers?

All help appreciated.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A background in programming will help you in hacking - more often than not, ROM's require custom tools to edit certain things in them. This trend has greatly declined since universal tools were released, such as Tinke and Crystal Tile, but sometimes the formats are custom and you have to create your own work-arounds.

Some basic Assembly knowledge would also help, as well as at least a mediocre knowledge about HEX editing.

Pretty sure that articles about it all can be found on the forums, good luck and have fun!

Madara-Uchiha59

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A background in programming will help you in hacking - more often than not, ROM's require custom tools to edit certain things in them. This trend has greatly declined since universal tools were released, such as Tinke and Crystal Tile, but sometimes the formats are custom and you have to create your own work-arounds.

Some basic Assembly knowledge would also help, as well as at least a mediocre knowledge about HEX editing.

Pretty sure that articles about it all can be found on the forums, good luck and have fun!

Thanks a lot for the help, I have used crystal tile before and know a little about this sort of thing when I tried to make a pokemon emerald hack a few years back :D

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are good links to start. Good luck, it's a head banging on the desk thing to do (was for me, you might fare better) but it's quite rewarding and fun.

twistedfatal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If your Thinking Of Creating A "Hack" Of The Newer Games That is Pokemon Black And White 2 Then

I Chould Help You With Pokemon Data Editing Which Is Everything That Is Not Scripting, Spriting, And Map Editing,

If your Talking Of A Different Game. Then Ignore This Reply xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1