Learning Programming

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by LoudMaximus, Aug 21, 2008.

Aug 21, 2008

Learning Programming by LoudMaximus at 11:15 PM (1,174 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. LoudMaximus
    OP

Newcomer LoudMaximus Member

United States
    I'm thinking of trying to learn programming and I've started by looking at a few of the tutorials on cplusplus.com but I was just wondering is it recommended to start off on C++ or should I try a different language first and work my way through them?Any suggestions and links would be appreciated,thanks

2. jesuschristmonke

Member jesuschristmonke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you've never done object oriented programming, maybe start with C#/Visual Basic. It also depends on what you want to use it for.

3. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    C++ is pretty complicated is it not?

4. LoudMaximus
    OP

United States
    So I've been told so thats why I'm wondering what I should start with instead!!! [​IMG]

And at jesuschristmonkeyballs could you reccomend any sites with good tutorials for those?

5. Diablo1123

United States
    C# and Java aren't as complicated, but Java is used less, so depends on what you plan to program.

6. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Start with something simpler.. I would recomend Python or Actionscript to get the basics of programming.. maybe even Javascript, since it's something easy to test [​IMG]

7. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I would recommend the 'For Dummies' books, ie C++ For Dummies

8. jesuschristmonke

Member jesuschristmonke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well I would recommend finding a .pdf book for VB somewhere on the net. Can't say where, but you wouldn't have to look too hard.

The extremely cool thing is Microsoft offers express editions of visual studio 2008 & SQL for free! Most of the functionality is there.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx

Then as you work through your code and have a specific problem, you can google for samples and there are tons of helpful forums and coders who have already posted what you need or are willing to help out.

9. Diablo1123

United States
    I'd say it depends on what you start on.
    I started with Runescape private servers and they were only in Java

10. Maat

Newcomer Maat Member

Brazil
    You could start with c++, but you should only see object-oriented part of c++ after a long time you already know how to program with stament, to be more simple you should see C ,but you don't need to become just see it and try to understand or if you don't want start with C try some like Python (and other things that CockroachMan wrote).The best thing is to try with something simple because all languages like c# ,java and c++ they have the easy part that almost all languages have and they have too the object-oriented part that is little complicated, and is even more complicated if you don't know the other part soo welll.(Phyton is object-oriented too but i heard it's an easy language)
    Learning Java it can be more easy than c++, because in c++ you need to create the objects and destroy them, but in Java it's easy to create and you don't need to destroy them ,Java does this for you.
    This is a C tutorial, it explains a lot of things, it's really good.
    http://beej.us/guide/bgc/output/html/multipage/index.html
    And always remember, the best way to learn is with practice.

11. LoudMaximus
    OP

United States
    Great thanks for all the advice guys,its just something I'd like to pick up and hopefully get the hang of eventually so yer helps mucho appreciated!I might try check out the python or Visual Basic ones soon enough then

12. beve

Banned beve Banned

Australia
    I started with VB and tutorials on youtube and i worked my self up to c# and ive been programing for about 2-3 months and ive made some nice stuff i use everyday (EG: web browser notepad office applications cd tray opener etc)

id start with vb and work up like i did im pro-ish in vb and just starting with c# and c++ well i suck with c++ but ive made some stuff

remember to be a good programmer you must train like football you train to get better or in programing ways you must train by making programs over and over
    i try to remember the code by making the program one or twice a day or even more [​IMG]

13. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I started on VB but that's really simple. I learned C a few years ago but nothing uber spectacular, just stuff like programming routers basically, as well as some dabbling in C++ which was a bit different. I would say if you are going to learn to program, start with VB and C, then work up from there. C++ is just an extension of C and the things you learn in C will help you in C++