sylux92

OP
Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
Any tips for a linux newb? Im learning linux (Ubuntu). Any different distro's that anybody can recommend? I really dont know a lot about it. except for how to set up internet. I also know some basic terminal commands. Any tips for Ubuntu itself or terminal would be apprecitaed.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
don't be intimidated by terminal, if you are trying to do anything serious you are probably following instructions in a guide, which probably just gives you code to copy and paste. Theres only a couple commands you need to know:

cd moves you to the folder you specify, just open up the folder you want to go to and click the button to the left of the folder location to change it to a text output that you can just paste after cd.

sh runs that file (needed for ATI propriety drivers for example)

also, any code that returns an error saying that you don't have the permissions to run something add "sudo" to the beginning. Unlike 99% of things asking for a password, it doesn't actually show you inputing anything, but it does keep track of it so just insert your PW and hit enter

But for the most part, Ubuntu is self explanitory

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
How can one "learn" Linux?

It's really not much different if you're using a newb-friendly package-managed distro.
I personally chose Ubuntu a while ago as a dev environment, and use the same software that I would on windows for menial tasks (Firefox, OpenOffice) so there was no "Learning" to do. Anything you don't know will be on the ubuntu wiki and official forums.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I choose Ubuntu. I don't think there's any straight forward tutorial you can really follow, just use the thing. With Windows I didn't really read a manual how to use it, you just kinda just got the hang of it. If you needed to find something, go to the net and see how its done, then it stays in your head. That's what I'm trying to do with Ubuntu, and I'm getting the hang of it, if Ubuntu just support my tablet.

living-ghost

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Most of the learning I accomplished with linux was when I was playing around with it as a server.

Right now I have an old P3 running a web, dns, mail, dhcp, mysql and ftp

Mostly because I can and having a personal server comes in handy for numerous things.

So I would say if you want to "learn linux" grab and old box and install ubuntu server. Then start setting stuff up directly from the command line.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Si :D +1