• Replies 34
  • Likes 6

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They want to make money, and the bootrom exploit is verified to be legitimate and unpatchable. I don't see any way it wouldn't release at this point.
Edit: before some smarta** says it, I mean unpatchable on all current systems, not including future hardware revisions.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've been told that anything above 4.1 is outside the scope of CFW, so if TX ends up working on 5.x then it's probably worth the price.
Anything above 5.x is out of the scope of a SOFTWARE exploit. Bootrom exploit is well documented to not be patchable if accessed with hardmod, and Atmosphere-NX seems to plan to eventually make use of bootrom for an updated sysNAND instead of using emuNAND when the time comes based on the phrasing used in the emuNAND notes.
And 5.x will work in emuNAND from a compatible 4.x or lower system.

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Wait and don't Expect. People want these hacks so bad that they think programming and hardware building is as easy as blinking your eyes.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have to say, it's probably real, but I'd still stay low firmware until we getore news, also it might be expensive, and the cfw by reswitched community will be free. Also like in the past, software might be better then hardware solution when it comes to anti piracy, when playing your "legal" backups.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anything above 5.x is out of the scope of a SOFTWARE exploit. Bootrom exploit is well documented to not be patchable if accessed with hardmod, and Atmosphere-NX seems to plan to eventually make use of bootrom for an updated sysNAND instead of using emuNAND when the time comes based on the phrasing used in the emuNAND notes.
It's getting really hard to speculate about the timing of all these things. It does feel like 5.0 users won't get much for a long while though, so if TX manages to get something out around summer then I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to jump on that. Especially, if they have been seeing people on low firmware enjoying Atmos for several weeks already by that time. Heck, even 4.1 people might want to update at that point if it still seems CFW is months away for them.

Then again, the bootrom stuff might suddenly get released and make the whole TX thing obsolete before it ever goes on shelves.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's getting really hard to speculate about the timing of all these things. It does feel like 5.0 users won't get much for a long while though, so if TX manages to get something out around summer then I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to jump on that. Especially, if they have been seeing people on low firmware enjoying Atmos for several weeks already by that time. Heck, even 4.1 people might want to update at that point if it still seems CFW is months away for them.

Then again, the bootrom stuff might suddenly get released and make the whole TX thing obsolete before it ever goes on shelves.
5.x and over will require hardmod. Though I would hold off on buying the TX version because there will likely be an open version for much cheaper shortly after.

D

Deleted User

OP
Question- if there will be soder & soderless modchips... what would be the benefit not to go soderless?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Probably one of the issues for TX is as soon as they release someones going to be like "we don't agree with paying for modchips, here's the bootrom exploit you all want" then any money they have spent on R&D / prototypes is wasted.

I'd imagine TX is also working on a CFW that will only work with their chip / hardware present, then at least TX is offering the whole package, so can make back any initial investment before a free solution eventually offers equal features. Even if the bootrom exploit was released tomorrow its probably going to be quite a while yet before theirs a stable working Emunand, although SciresM is certainly making some good progress.

Like Gateway on the 3DS, they had a good run and everyone liked it because there was nothing free that was comparable at the time. Eventually free solutions caught up, however by that time they must have easily made back any investment and a lot of profit too.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Question- if there will be soder & soderless modchips... what would be the benefit not to go soderless?
Cheaper most likely, and if it isn't a one time thing soldering it to you board prevents a lot of hassle.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
People refuse to think logically before they jump to conclusions that TX is going to either fail in their efforts or step down, when in reality the only thing that could cause them to step down is people jumping to conclusions.

Nintendo is not known for their security. BootROM exploits were found in the 3DS and Wii U very quickly, and have already been found on both ends (software and hardware) regarding the Switch. It is not difficult to believe that TX is putting together a device that sets this up for the end user.
I thought the Nintendo bits are pretty secure, but Nvidia's parts are junk?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

easily made back any investment and a lot of profit too.
And a shit load of bad PR!

D

Deleted User

OP
I thought the Nintendo bits are pretty secure, but Nvidia's parts are junk?
The most recent generations have been ripped apart so fast it is unbelievable. Maybe this is just unlucky on Nintendo's part, but maybe they need to put more security on the console. The swtich is no different. It is their fault for using a fully documented and stock Tegra X1, where methods to bypass the SMMO are fully explained.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy