smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I know it's not what you asked for but I feel I should point out that PAlib hasn't been maintained for a long time and is now for all intents and purposes "dead"; you shouldn't use it. Not to mention that even if you do find a valid download link for its latest version, getting it to work with the latest devkitarm/libnds will probably be a bitch (if it's even possible) and you can't expect the good people behind devkitpro to help you.
So basically, if you only want it to compile some old game/app that used PAlib (which I doubt you do since you're asking for the latest version), you'll have to get the right version of PAlib and the right version of devkitarm/libnds, so good luck. However, if you want it to start making your own game/app, I'd advise you to just install the latest devkitarm/libnds and use libnds instead. :)

Reactions: 2 people

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
Making it work with latest devkitpro would be tough task, I can try to do it in free time but I'm not saying "I will do it for sure" (let's be clear here)
I don't know if it will go smoothly or not...but I will try at least

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Making it work with latest devkitpro would be tough task, I can try to do it in free time but I'm not saying "I will do it for sure" (let's be clear here)
Do you have tried it?
You're better off installing an older revision of devkitPro. This tutorial contains revision 32 which is fully compatible.

1. Run "C:\devkitPro\uninst.exe" and keep clicking "Next" until it finishes.

2. Download this:
http://www.mediafire...4xksdhn4hc6nzup

3. Extract the whole thing to your C drive (don't worry it all gets put in a folder called devkitPro at C:\devkitPro).

4. Run 'devkitPro Updater'

5. In the devkitPro updater make sure NOTHING is ticked and click install. It will set up devkitPro for your machine but will not overwrite the files we previously copied in with the non-working latest version.

And your done!
Kudos to @[member='YoshiInAVoid']

I agree with @[member='smealum'] though, if you are a beginner, start from NightFox Lib. If not, go ahead and use clean libnds. PAlib has a lot of cool functions that are easy to use, but it's simply abandoned, bloated and dead... Shame.

Technicmaster0

OP
Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
(I)f you are a beginner, start from NightFox Lib. If not, go ahead and use clean libnds. PAlib has a lot of cool functions that are easy to use, but it's simply abandoned, bloated and dead... Shame.
I use clean LibNDS at the moment. Maybe I'll use NFL but first, I want to finish my libNDS project.
PaLib is (/was) really cool, yeah but the errors are enoying.

LeRodeur

Trophies
XP
Country
France
you might want to stick with libnds then, if you can use plain libnds prefer it to NFlib.
If you don't want to be bothered by memory and gfx management you could use easy gl2d (take a look are devkitpro website) or use the old but fully working uLibrary
you can grab my modified version on my svn code.google.com/p/nds-diablo2-sorceress-project/downloads/list

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Do you have tried it?
You're better off installing an older revision of devkitPro. This tutorial contains revision 32 which is fully compatible.

Ok then! Show me how.

1. Run "C:\devkitPro\uninst.exe" and keep clicking "Next" until it finishes.

2. Download this:

3. Extract the whole thing to your C drive (don't worry it all gets put in a folder called devkitPro at C:\devkitPro).

4. Run 'devkitPro Updater'

5. In the devkitPro updater make sure NOTHING is ticked and click install. It will set up devkitPro for your machine but will not overwrite the files we previously copied in with the non-working latest version.

And your done!
Kudos to @[member='YoshiInAVoid']

I agree with @[member='smealum'] though, if you are a beginner, start from NightFox Lib. If not, go ahead and use clean libnds. PAlib has a lot of cool functions that are easy to use, but it's simply abandoned, bloated and dead... Shame.
I tried to buy the palib-dev.com domain to keep palib alive.

I got a reply saying it costed something ridiculous like $2000.

palib.net is still available though. But I can't be bothered and wouldn't know how to maintain PAlib, shame, I do love the little libary.

Technicmaster0

OP
Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried to buy the palib-dev.com domain to keep palib alive.

I got a reply saying it costed something ridiculous like $2000.

palib.net is still available though. But I can't be bothered and wouldn't know how to maintain PAlib, shame, I do love the little libary.
2000$ :O
I made a backup of the german tutorial with english parts.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Here's the exact email:

Thank you for your offer to acquire the palib-dev.com domain. My name is Chris, and I am your broker for this domain.

The seller has this one listed for $5,500 USD, but that does strike me as somewhat ambitious. The official assessment from URL Appraisal is $4,214, but Web Detail only values it at $2,856. My recommendation is that we counter with $2,800. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Regards,

So yeah, $2,800.

Besides, once the 3DS is hacked there will be almost no demand for DS homebrew, yet alone DS homebrew made with outdated versions of devkitPro and a libary which seems only half finished.

Plus, if PAlib was updated to the latest devkitPro I can't imagine how mad it would make some people :P

EDIT: Eldude has a backup of the Modules: http://eldudeds.webs.com/html/modules.html

There are still pieces of PAlib scattered all around the internet.

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is also the PALib IRC channel that is still active. However, no-one on it currently uses or would endorse using PALib, but there is still an active knowledge base among the people who have previously used it. The channel is really just a hang out for programming and random stuff in general, but Nightfox is on it aswell if you need help with NFLib.

#palib @ freenode.net If anyone is interested in checking it out.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say that there would be no demand for DS homebrew once the 3DS is cracked. People are still doing GBA stuff occasionally. Though I would recommend going with the official DevKitARM dev tools rather than PALib.

NathanielSabansk

Trophies
XP
No, he means version 10 which was not hosted on sourceforge.

Here: http://www.mediafire...q3f19949r4xsp3t

Using this version of PAlib I am able to compile and run PAlib based apps using the latest DevKitPro as of this writing. I extracted the file to /PAlib inside /devkitPro and had to do the following Makefile change:

Changed this line in \devkitPro\PAlib\lib\PA_Makefile

Code:
PREFIX := arm-eabi-

To this:

Code:
PREFIX := arm-none-eabi-

Hope that helps some of you!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Using this version of PAlib I am able to compile and run PAlib based apps using the latest DevKitPro as of this writing. I extracted the file to /PAlib inside /devkitPro and had to do the following Makefile change (in \devkitPro\PAlib\lib\PA_Makefile):

Changed this line:
Code:
PREFIX := arm-eabi-

To this:
Code:
PREFIX := arm-none-eabi-

Hope that helps some of you!
Or you could use revision 32 of DevkitPro which contains a slightly older libnds and DevkitARM. It's the recommended version for PALib - newer ones may not support all functions or may cause errors in the final, compiled code!

*Do not* disable EABI (embedded application binary interface), simply install the older version for full compatibility:

1. Extract the to C:\ drive.
  2. Run 'devkitPro Updater'
  3. In the devkitPro updater make sure NOTHING is ticked and click install. It will set up devkitPro for your machine but will not overwrite the files we previously copied in with the non-working latest version.
  4. Enjoy!
Credits for the fix go to:

@[member='YoshiInAVoid']

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
EDIT: I am making a program called 'devkitPwn' which will totally pwn devkitPro and while it has no idea what's going on it injects PAlib right in there and it will be like l33t.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1